Dear unfavorable restaurant-from a H.O.H. person

One1side

Dear unfavorable restaurant,

Lets just call you Rest X. I know that my family really likes Rest X, but at the very mention of going to you I seriously frown inside. Is it the food or the wait staff? Well, no, the food is great and wait staff is kind. I just hate the constant loud music, the very loud noises that the machines make whenever food is ready for pickup and the fact that even in line people are so crammed in together that even speech sounds quickly overlap from each individual conversation. I hate being told to "take one for the team" a.k.a. my family because Rest X can cater to a wide variety of dietary needs. If your really such a great place to go to eat, why do you seem to have to cram so many tables in such a tight space? With so many customers seemingly bursting out your seams why can't you buy more land space, turn down the music and arrange seating so the people with families that have H.O.H individuals can actually feel welcome?

Popular places to eat like Rest X seem to step all over the Hard of Hearing and I'm just tired of it. I'm not going to tell your actual name to avoid souring your reputation, but enough places fit this description that I just wish there was a way of telling all dining places about this disgusting situation. If my family did not insist on going to you, then I would probably never go back to you and permanently ban you from my list of places to eat.

• HearPeers Heroes

Winden

Unfortunately we live in a loud hearing world. I know many hearing folks that have the same complaint. Try to find a restaurant that is more conducive to your hearing. Sadly though, we do have to go to places with a group that can be challenging for you. Try to do your best and maybe try some ALDs out and see if this makes it any easier.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Winden, you might also want to determine where you sit. I find I hear better when my CI is at the wall side. Ask not to sit close to where the kitchen is located. That happened to me the first time. Do you have a program that cuts out background sounds?

• 1 month later...

Dear unfavorable restaurant,

Lets just call you Rest X. I know that my family really likes Rest X, but at the very mention of going to you I seriously frown inside. Is it the food or the wait staff? Well, no, the food is great and wait staff is kind. I just hate the constant loud music, the very loud noises that the machines make whenever food is ready for pickup and the fact that even in line people are so crammed in together that even speech sounds quickly overlap from each individual conversation. I hate being told to "take one for the team" a.k.a. my family because Rest X can cater to a wide variety of dietary needs. If your really such a great place to go to eat, why do you seem to have to cram so many tables in such a tight space? With so many customers seemingly bursting out your seams why can't you buy more land space, turn down the music and arrange seating so the people with families that have H.O.H individuals can actually feel welcome?

Popular places to eat like Rest X seem to step all over the Hard of Hearing and I'm just tired of it. I'm not going to tell your actual name to avoid souring your reputation, but enough places fit this description that I just wish there was a way of telling all dining places about this disgusting situation. If my family did not insist on going to you, then I would probably never go back to you and permanently ban you from my list of places to eat.

Sounds like Texas Roadhouse here in Indiana :angry:

• 1 month later...

I don't know why EVERY restaurant thinks they need to have loud background music. When people come to dine, they don't come to hear music - they want to have a conversation with the people at their table. There is absolutely no need for music. Just the noise from the kitchen and the voices of all the guests are enough. And that goes for people who aren't hearing impaired. I get overwhelmed and have to leave.

• HearPeers Heroes

People stopped talking between themselves... :(

I find this frustrating when the people at the counters can speak really low which i cannot hear. I constantly tell them to speak up because i cant hear them, well they dont do it. When i was at a restaurant with a friend, the waiters were really rude to me after i told them to speak up as i cant hear them. I ended up walking put of the restaurant a minute later. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, it is their fault....

People usually do not understand, are not specifically educated regarding the problem, so improvisation is so-so.

This should be a part of general culture...

• 4 weeks later...

I know it has been a while since, I posted. Thanks for the suggestions, but despite my device having programs that help reduce background noise, this place is just one of the extreme cases. No matter where you sit or what you do, your sunk hearing wise. Haywayne, that's sort of ironic that you made the suggestion. While it's not a Texas Roadhouse this place happens to be in Texas. (I believe it is an national food chain across America though, not specific to Texas or this area.)