Helmets and dangerous sports

Almosupremecommander

Hi I'm being implanted in 2 weeks and I'm getting the rondo . I went for the rondo because it's a one piece with nothing behind the ear.

I want to ask after the implant is all healed can you feel it ? If you run your fingers over the implant site can you feel it's there or is it buried deep? I'm a base jumper And I'm wondering about crash helmets , anyone else on here wear them , or do dangerous sports . How soon after the operation is it comfortable to put helmet on.

They've told me not to skydive for 3 months but I do other more sedate stuff like speed flying and paragliding too.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi welcome to Hearpeerrs. Yes I can still feel the implant everyday. The implant sits just below the surface of the skin flap they call it and slightly protrudes. Especially after the day it feels like something is there. Hard to explain. Im not into any major sports of any kind but there are others who are. Good with the surgery and activation!! Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome to Hearpeers. I don't feel anything with my implant. Adam and Ivana will be able to give you information regarding helmets. Good luck with your surgery and activation. Any more questions, please ask. We are here to support each other on this amazing journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome.

Surgery techniques vary and that will have an impact on how your internal component feels when you rub your hand over your head. Some surgeons make a slight well in your bone and the internal component sits in that recess. Other surgeons do not make a slight well so the implant sits on top of the bone.

For me, nothing sticks up from my head although I can feel the impression of it if I rub my fingers against my scalp. I do not feel the implant in my head at all. Just in case you are wondering about that.

I am not active in any extreme sports so I will leave those questions to others.

Welcome and best of luck on your journey. I have been wearing my bilateral Rondos all week boogie boarding in the ocean (in waterwear covers). They are great processors! You may want to look at ear gear Rondo cover with tether for securing the device whe you are active. Also MedEl sells a sportsband with a special pocket for the Rondo. That may help you too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello,

As my colleagues already written - at first, you will have a bump which can last up to 6 month because tissue need much more time to recover.

Regarding the operative details, the internal bed should be drilled because it helps to secure both the internal part but also the electrode which is glued with fibrin glue but, nevertheless - this can only be plus. Some schools suit the implant but other does not; with time parts of drilled bone ossified and secure the implant additionally.

Extra tip: after your operation, your balance can be somewhat disturbed so do not do extreme sports unless you are not absolutely and 100% sure that your balance is ok.

It can be dangerous in these circumstances.

Regarding your question, I know for a player of the american football who has modified helmet. Also, few months ago, our member Matt posted one helmet he found out - it is a motor vehicle kind of helmet. Try to contact him via his details. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers. Not much I can add to what my CYBORG buddies have contributed. The implants are designed to absorb a certain amount of trauma. Helmets without the processor shouldn't be any trouble. I would imagine it wouldn't work well trying to wear a helmet with the rondo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies , I figured I'll be taking the processor off when I put a helmet on but that's ok as I can get the helmet on with my hearing aid in the other ear anyway . I will definitely ask about all the options for tethering it when I get the rondo in a couple of weeks

Operation is this Tuesday , can't wait.

• HearPeers Heroes

You must be so excited! Best of luck to you and after you recover from surgery a bit, come back and let us know how it went.

• HearPeers Heroes

One extra problem may be - if you have an accident you can damage even your internal part. Please, be aware of that fact.

Recently I have researched helmets a lot and found some pretty concerning findings which we as users are not aware of.

Little bit more, I will write soon.

Hi Ivana

I am aware that it won't be a great idea to have any head trauma with an implant . They've told me no parachuting for 3 months which is ok because I really really want a chance at hearing again and after I'm back in the air I will try to be very careful ,but with base jumpers it's kind of like dealing with drug addicts and I'm not your average junkie as I make the equipment for a living I'm more like a dealer. I will be jumping again at some point.

I'd love to hear what you found out about helmets.

If you want to see some really useless helmets take a look at the average skydiving helmet .

I go for paragliding helmets because even the cheapest one is certified for airborne sports and the padding is more like a motorbike helmet . With skydiving helmets the padding is often nonexistent

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck with your surgery on Tuesday. We look forward to hearing about your journey once you have recovered.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana

I am aware that it won't be a great idea to have any head trauma with an implant . They've told me no parachuting for 3 months which is ok because I really really want a chance at hearing again and after I'm back in the air I will try to be very careful ,but with base jumpers it's kind of like dealing with drug addicts and I'm not your average junkie as I make the equipment for a living I'm more like a dealer. I will be jumping again at some point.

I'd love to hear what you found out about helmets.

If you want to see some really useless helmets take a look at the average skydiving helmet .

I go for paragliding helmets because even the cheapest one is certified for airborne sports and the padding is more like a motorbike helmet . With skydiving helmets the padding is often nonexistent

Ok, I maybe was not as specific as I should have - pardon me. I was thinking at even more dangerous adrenaline sports than the BASE jumping. I was thinking more at sports where you more often actively have chance to hit with your head (no matter whether you have worn a helmet or not) the ground or asphalt. 

Three months are because of different reason - to give opportunity to your body and the implant to heal properly and also that middle ear issues which may become evident in the air does not disturb whole process. Also, some CI users have disbalance problem which may not be obvious in regular activities because our brain compensate the deficiency. But - if you provoke it with more challenging activity without solid ground - please, be aware that solid ground actually give your body support and informations about possible field disbalances. Even subtle change can make a substantial difference.

Well, I was reading about standards of building motor-bike and bicycle helmets - and I was actually frustrated a lot that security of these helmets are not even close as they should be. I have found recently a company who succeeded in building a helmet which could be safe more than one time but also - a main problem of locating coil is that, in theory, you should cut the foam but this mean that even not good helmet up to date will be even worse in practice: no secure at all.

The worst scenario is that you do not wear any helmet. This company mad a helmet which is not rigid type, it can adjust according to the width of your head.

I am not aware of what kind helmets are good for your kind of sports but I have read that kids in the U.S. buy Xenith's helmet for a football practices. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearperrs and good luck on Tuesday with your surgery!!

I try to avoid any contact sports...I don't want to risk injury especially to the head.  I've been wondering about those who play contact sports since getting the implant done.  :-)

Well the surgery went well and the staff at the hospital were fantastic only in for 1 day . I honestly thought it would hurt but I can hardly feel it .I was thinking of borrowing my mates bucket dog collar to stop me from accidentally scratching it this week .

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad all went well. The journey begins! Please keep us informed of your progress.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad the surgery is behind you. Soon the exciting part begins!

Congrats on your surgery and best of luck with your recovery!

I am still on the mend myself!

Take it easy!