FT39

Hi, I had sudden hearing loss in my left ear about a month ago. I have an evaluation for the EAS implant in a couple of weeks. The right ear is normal. The left ear is severe/profound loss from 1,000 up. Speech recognition on the right is 100% with nothing on the left.

• HearPeers Heroes

@FT39

Welcome to HearPeers.  Which CI center are you going to?  I go to NYEE in NYC.

We have quite a few HP members who experienced sudden hearing loss, like @Kylie

Hi...UMASS Medical, Worcester MA.

I think my insurance company is going to require a CROS trial. I have Anthem Blue Cross.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope you get your assessment soon too. I myself was not recommended for a cross so I went straight to the cochlear implant, which has worked out great for me. I love having stereo clarity and being to orient where sounds are coming from. Keep us posted!

• Like 3

@FT39 I had the CROS but didn't work for me . If you have time maybe check out both places to find your best fit. I had the almost exact same situation but also really bad 24/7 tinnitus which is completely alleviated when the processor is on. LMK if you have any other questions. 

Hi @Jared Charney

I don't know what to expect from the evaluation. I have a copy of my hearing test (from ENT office), a disk with my MRI images (all clear) and a copy of the MRI report. The tinnitus is a pain but it's not horrible. Is there anything I should be asking at the appointment? I understand that I won't hear the same way again. I really only notice the difference when I am out and in noisy situations. Sound location seems to be a problem no matter where I am. From what I have read, the EAS implant  is probably my best solution. If I get that and my hearing changes, (like if I loose the lower frequencies), is it difficult to make adjustments to the implant? I mean, does it have to come out and be replaced or can they replace the processor?

I would def. recommend talking to a rep. at MEDEL (or Advanced Bionics etc) I feel I don't have all the information to properly answer this especially since I couldn't use the EAS etc. One of the most helpful parts of my decision making was speaking to this rep. at MEDEL who use to be an audiologist. Do you want me to pass on her email to you? Also, they make adjustments during what's called a Mapping session and they fine tune if you well each different electrode. @FT39

Hi there ft, 

I have had advancing loss in both ears since childhood. A year ago, i was implanted and have sonnet2 eas. I have the sonnet processor with eas mold in the ear. I did not have a hearing aid until recently. I can tell during normal conversation the acoustic part of eas works. I have very little hearing remaining in that ear, perhaps 25%, the unimplanted ear has 50 %.

I did not have a lot of directionaliy until recent mapping where i requested a program with no auto programs.

During rehab i was thankful for the reduced hearing in the good ear, plugged it sometimes to focus on training the implanted ear

I love the implant! Discovering sounds ive not heard in ages has been fun.

Hi @Dianna

I am really considering the implant. I do not understand how one hearing aid is going to help with severe/profound mid to high frequency  loss on one side. I don't think CROS is the best solution, either. Locating sound is important to me. How was the recovery from the surgery? I am so glad you're happy with it!

Hi there ft, 

I have had advancing loss in both ears since childhood. A year ago, i was implanted and have sonnet2 eas. I have the sonnet processor with eas mold in the ear. I did not have a hearing aid until recently. I can tell during normal conversation the acoustic part of eas works. I have very little hearing remaining in that ear, perhaps 25%, the unimplanted ear has 50 %.

I did not have a lot of directionaliy until recent mapping where i requested a program with no auto programs.

During rehab i was thankful for the reduced hearing in the good ear, plugged it sometimes to focus on training the implanted ear

I love the implant! Discovering sounds ive not heard in ages has been fun.

Sorry, hp has been weird lately,

Ft, surgery wasnt really bad for me, more like having two wisdom teeth pulled  on the same side, lol.

I laid around in lounge chair, stayed downstairs two nights. I took the pain meds on a timer for 24 hours.  I felt a little woozy, i was tired, no real pain!

I live with family so i was well cared for. The antibiotics and steroids kinda ruined food for me for a few days too.

So it was smooth for me.

@Mary Beth I hope for the same! Up until a month or so ago, I had perfect hearing in both ears. Now I am thinking about a CI. There is so much to learn. I really thought we were just going to put a hearing aid on the "bad" ear and be done. I am so grateful you are all here. This was my hearing test. No speech recognition from the left ear, but I could hear sounds.

audio no bd.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@FT39

Hearing aids just make sounds louder and as you can see even when sound was presented very loud, you did not understand the words.

Going to a large CI center which treats many sudden hearing loss patients every year, will help you decide what path forward is correct for you.