Waterwear for Sonnet/OPUS2 is FDA approved

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

If anybody has had the chance to try them , maybe post a review of your thoughts

if you already have, my apologies. 

• HearPeers Heroes
17 minutes ago, Adamfit said:

I just love the opportunity to develop my patience. NOT!!!

Adam... :D - didn't expect that from you...:P 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sadly i have had more than my share of having to develop patience. I could probably write a book on it. :wacko:

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Several people in the FB group have used them and posted their experiences.  Also, Med-El official FB group had postings after they launched it at a waterpark in Sydney.

I hope you can find them with a quick search.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the heads up. Just curious. Not supposed to swim. I would use them for exercise

• HearPeers Heroes

Are your Sonnets having trouble with sweat?

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't had any issues with moisture and the Sonnets. I run with them and worked in light rain with no issues. 

• HearPeers Heroes

People who had trouble with sweat and the Opus2 are saying that the Sonnets are great with sweat.  Some use EarGear covers

some don't.

• HearPeers Heroes

If I correctly remember of your post, Mary Beth, in the FB group yesterday, Med-EL also recommend using of EarGear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

They are not completely waterproof. A little prevention on our part can go a long way. I lost my ear gear ( haven't bought) new ones yet. If I am going to be in any type of moisture for a while, I will just take them off? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used waterwear. It is great. When we went camping we had a full day of rain on the way in I wore it the whole time. For 8 hours that day. Other than it makes a crinkling noise as it moves a bit. And beicause of the close proximity of the implant to my ear. Of course you have to use the special no air batteries too. LR44 alkaline ones. Got them from med el.  Power ones as well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Good to know, thanks so much for sharing new hearing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It seems from reading people's reports on the waterwear with the Sonnet.....

-some people forget that they are supposed to be in an OMNI program (These people already have the 2 mics activated and therefore have mic setting choices).  This seems to impact how they hear with the Sonnet in the waterwear cover.

-with my Rondos, the LR44 batteries only last 4-6 hours.  The silver oxide 357 batteries last 12 hours. I get more use out of the one time adhesive waterwear seal by using the silver oxide batteries on long water days.

-several people hear a crinkling sound over the Sonnet mics as the waterwear cover moves over the mic slits.  Med-El states to use the standard battery covers and people are doing that because the micro battery covers are not yet available.  So it seems to be related to the mic exposure design of the Sonnet as well as how the waterwear cover lies on the processor which is impacted by the cable and coil.  This isn't a problem with the waterwear covers on the Rondo because the Rondo design has a protection for the mic.  The Opus2 also has a recessed mic.

That what I've read so far.  People like having a waterproof option.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Adamfit said:

They are not completely waterproof. A little prevention on our part can go a long way. I lost my ear gear ( haven't bought) new ones yet. If I am going to be in any type of moisture for a while, I will just take them off? 

I know they aren't there is another topic where I further clarified the difference between waterproof and waterresistance...

quite fascinating how manufacturers sometimes complicate the situation :)

I know, I know... For greater good. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Ivana, you are right. Everyone should be willing to do a little research on their own. Some companies can be sneaky. Other times, I think it is our responsibility to become as educated as we can.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... Yeah - Although, I have to admit that I also had to think thoroughly what is what so I decided to resolve this once for all...:P

• HearPeers Heroes

It can be, or I should say, IS a big decision. Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation or no info for the patient. I wish more would find hearpeers to help folks wade the the confusing process

• HearPeers Heroes

I completely agree Adam. (Please call me Kara! It's the updated program changed my profile!) I walked into it blind. At first they said I would likely get a cochlear Co implant but at the last minute theytoldme I was getting med el. There was no info on the med el site at the time because of approval reasons so really it was totally in the dark. I do however have ne regrets!! I love everything about my Sonnet and it has changed my life. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

the he new design had changed my display name too.  Ben uploaded directions on how to change it back.  Just click on the "more info" wording at the top of the home page where they announced changes to the new forum and it tells you how to change it.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Kara of Canada said:

And Ivana!!?    

Huh? :huh: How? :blink: 

I mean, I like to be loved...:P

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Kara,

the he new design had changed my display name too.  Ben uploaded directions on how to change it back.  Just click on the "more info" wording at the top of the home page where they announced changes to the new forum and it tells you how to change it.

Mine too- was changed. It logged me as - Semper.Fi which is code name for my last name...:ph34r:

Then I changed it into my real name pretty easily - didn't know there are some instructions though...:P

• HearPeers Heroes
On 20/08/2016 at 0:57 AM, Adamfit said:

It can be, or I should say, IS a big decision. Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation or no info for the patient. I wish more would find hearpeers to help folks wade the the confusing process

Yes, but still... Some people have choices yet decide on the basis of subjective reasoning. On the other side, in Croatia - governmental insurance company decides which company will get procuration for that year. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Agreed Ivana. 

That is one reason why I tell people to ask themselves, what is important in an implant for them and could they care less about, as far as features, coding strategy, mics, color options, just the way it looks. This usually helps people get started down the road of choosing. You can do research on a few things that you would want pretty easily, as opposed to being totally overwhelmed with everything. For those that don't get a choice, you can still learn as much as you can before surgery as it is much easier going through something if you understand the process and what to expect