just introducing myself

Kay

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy and Kara thanks for the encouragement.

As my sister often says "the adventure continues"!

• HearPeers Heroes

The never ending story!!!

Hi Kay,

From personal experience, the cochlear implant is awesome!  I had been reluctant for years to have the surgery done (even though I have always been deaf in my right ear, and had no more than 10% of hearing left in my left ear).  However, in September of 2014, I told my local doctor I would go to a consultation about it.  In October of that year, I went to a doctor about 1.5 hours away, and the Lord gave me peace about undergoing the tests to see if I qualified.  On January 7, 2015, I underwent the cochlear implant on my right ear.  At first, everyone sounded like robots, but it was just temporary.  Practice makes a difference.  My right ear soon became my dominate ear.  I can hear on the phone better than I could with a hearing aid.  Oh, and not very long ago, my left ear was tested with the hearing aid on (it was one of the most powerful hearing aid available at the time I purchased it), and the results of the sentences was only 11%.  It was proof the hearing aid was helping me to really hear.  I just had my left ear implanted on June 8th of this year. :-) 

I don't mean to talk much about myself - just telling you a little personal story.

I think you are going to love the implant.  Just remember, you have to patient with yourself, and be sure to practice. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

It's always great to learn more about people's journeys.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Donna for sharing your story. Tomorrow is D day for me. I will be getting my implant in the morning. I'm excited about starting my new journey. My Dr said he expects me to have good results (I asked) so I'll just go with that and all the wonderful encouragement I have gotten from this group. I am so blessed! Just need to put the negative thoughts on the back burner. A priest friend told me this morning to think only what is calming today. Good advice if I can do it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck Kay! :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck today Kay!!