Activated on left CI with Rondo

kbetz63

Morning, I was "turned on" yesterday late afternoon with my left ear CI. It's the Rondo. I have the Opus 2 on my right ear, that was implanted back in early 2012. I like the Rondo because of it being one piece, but boy it's bulky, especially for someone with thin hair.

Activation went well, better than my right ear. I heard nothing but squeaky voices when my right CI was turned on. With my left ear I actually hear voices, although some like my daughter are squeaky. I didn't realize you couldn't plug into the Rondo. Most of my therapy was music, especially listening to George Straight, Clint Black and Reba, songs I knew. It really helped to progress my right CI along and I loved hearing music again. I gather I have to have the neckloop to listen to music with my Rondo? It's been ordered but I don't know when I'll receive it. I hope soon so I can begin. My audiologist set up 4 listening scopes for me to do until I see her again on Thursday for another mapping.

What is the phone therapy I hear about? I am able to use the phone and my cell with my right CI and want to do the same with my Rondo but again I was told neckloop, why??

Sorry, I should introduce myself again as it's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm Kristine from Norman, Oklahoma USA. I've worn HA since I was 3 and got my first CI in April 2012. I hated it at first as no voice, just squeaky noises like Mickey Mouse. Slowly the sounds turned to voices and early this year I decided to go bilateral. My left CI was implanted on May 5th.

I love reading all the questions and comments.

Kristine

• HearPeers Heroes

There is a way to plug into the Rondo but it requires use of the Rondo's remote battery pack. Check that out in your Rondo manual. It is a wired battery pack though so it requires you to have a wire going from the Rondo to the pack.

Phone use with the Rondo options include :

1). Set the smartphone in HA compatible mode and set the Rondo on MT or T with the Fine Tuner. With the Rondo mic at the 12:00 position, the strong telecoil signal is at the 6:00 position.

2). Keep the Rondo on M. Hold the phone so that the sound is over the Rondo mic.

3). Use the Quattro Bluetooth neckloop. With the Fine Tuner, set the Rondo on MT or T. Sync the phone to the Quattro following regular BkueTooth procedure. Keep the phone nearby but you will not need to listen from it or speak into it. Follow the Quattro manual for making/accepting calls. Check out LifeWithMyMedEl YouTube channel and also Hands On Hearing website for great assistance from Jeff Campagna, MedEl user and employee.

Listening to music or training with the Rondo options are the same as above. Your DAI cable will plug into the remote battery pack. My preferred method is the Quattro BlueTooth neckloop for music and aural rehab training like CLIX or AngelSounds. My preferred method for phone use is to stay on M or switch to MT or T and use the phone without other devices.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I'm assuming the rehab training you refer to are Apple products. I have a Samsung and can't find these on my tablet or phone.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am an apple user. Sorry.

Phone training though is done through a website (Telephone With Confidence) and your own telephone.

Also Angel Sounds works on PCs.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi welcome! Yes telephone training can be done with any device. You can hold the phone over your device some prefer it in M or MT or T. I use M. http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/communication-corner/program/adult-telephone.htmhere is the link. Call in everyday and listen to a passage. It worked well for me. I can now use the phone and haven't been able in 5 years. The wonderful world of CIs! Be patient of course it takes time. Best of luck, Kara

Hi Kristine, nice to know your activation went better than the previous. I have very little experience with CI but I just wanted to send best wishes on your becoming bilateral. Today I heard a noisy bird but obviously was wrong as of its location. Hope you get maximum benefit from your CIs.

Thanks Nikki. Don't give up, you'll get there, it just takes time and practice. I wish you the best too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome BACK to the Hearpeers, Kristine! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Kristine, I has my Rondo activated on March 22nd 2016, I do have all the things you are talking about but beside using the fine turner have not used yet. I am more interested in learning all the new maps I have received every two weeks from my wonderful audiologist. I received the neck loop within 3 weeks from order date but have not used to this date. I still ware a hearing aid in my left ear which has helped my understand tones from people I know quickly but my wife still sounds like Donald Duck but is getting better. I read out loud to myself a lot still to understand different words people say to me. Music is also starting to have tones and understanding like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Doors & Dobbie Brothers which I play a lot by myself. TV is still a loss to me unless its a sporting event like MSL but from hearing or understanding anyone its wonderful. The Very Best Luck to you!