Cochlear Implant battery life

RHMANN

I received a Synchrony Cochlear Implant three months ago and am perplexed as to why I'm now experiencing an unusual battery use life.  Out of only two Power One Implant Plus batteries I use, one lasts one day only while the other lasts two days. Consequently, I need to replace one battery each day!  I wonder what the reason might be for this short battery life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi,

This is confusing. How are you testing the batteries to determine that one is dead while the other is still fine?

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth - I have a small battery tester which I use before and after inserting the batteries. It reads accurately. Each night I remove the batteries and both are live. The next morning I test them and they both are still live but within the hour or so the processor stops working. I again test the batteries and one is live while the other is dead. I then replace the dead battery and the processor works again! Now, the batteries I use are those I received in a large package when my implant was activated by the audiologist. Enough to befuddle me!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmm odd indeed. Are you allowing the batteries to be exposed to air after removing the stickers for about 5 minutes prior to use so they are fully charged? Is the battery that dies first always in the same spot in your battery pack? Top or bottom?

No is the answer to your question. I'm going to start exposing the batteries to 5 minutes before inserting them. I don't pay attention to whether it's in the same top or bottom battery pack but I will do so from now on. At the moment it seems as though the solution may be found in obtaining a new battery pack or even a new processor!

• HearPeers Heroes

I see you are in the US. You can contact your audiologist and explain what is happening. She may ask Med-El to replace your battery pack and see if he problem goes away. Good luck.

I'm in Florida -  I'll keep my audiologist apprised about this "battery" problem. I appreciated receiving your responses.

• HearPeers Heroes

Is always dead same battery?  :huh:  Not sure, if I will explain it well but I meant is a more drained battery always at the same position?

The battery is always drained completely. I need to pay attention if the batteries drain out at the bottom or top of the battery back.

I am just interested in knowing where we buy new batteries!

Suzana Cooper

I always order my batteries online.  You have several websites you can go to for batteries.

I always order my batteries online.  You have several websites you can go to for batteries.

Yes I know. Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

Suzana,

I am thankful that a member of the FaceBook group, Med-El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group, mentioned that she was on a monthly battery plan with Med-El and that her insurance covered most of the cost. Since my insurance covered absolutely zero costs related to HAs, I doubted they would cover batteries but I sent an email to my CSR at Med-El and asked him to check if my insurance covered batteries, I was so surprised to find out that they cover 80% of the cost. Now every month, I order batteries through Med-El and receive 2 boxes (since I am bilateral). My share of the cost is low.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes up here we can do that too. I spoke with the distributor on Friday. They were so nice. I purchased my air-free batteries for water wear (L144) In case I get daring and a non-electric drying capsule kit. For my camping trip. I'm all ready to go!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Have a great trip.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks we leave at the end of June for four days. Up to Algonquin park

• HearPeers Heroes

Serious preparations...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

I am just interested in knowing where we buy new batteries!

Suzana Cooper

If insurance company does not work for you, E-bay is always an option which is quite affordable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth - I have a small battery tester which I use before and after inserting the batteries. It reads accurately. Each night I remove the batteries and both are live. The next morning I test them and they both are still live but within the hour or so the processor stops working. I again test the batteries and one is live while the other is dead. I then replace the dead battery and the processor works again! Now, the batteries I use are those I received in a large package when my implant was activated by the audiologist. Enough to befuddle me!

After reading your post I played with my battery tester. The dead batteries were measured at 1.39 and 1.38V which surprised me as according to the specs for  PowerOne batteries they should be 1.45V (I measured one just activated battery/ It showed 1.41V only). I didn't expect to see anything close to  0V for drained batteries, but didn't thing that it is so close to the initial eclectic pressure numbers.

That time I replaced only one dead battery. My CI worked 2 more hours before asking to replace the battery again.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting - how long is before their best before period ends?

• HearPeers Heroes

Oddly enough, several people have reported that in both the Opus2 and Sonnet after the disposable batteries die, you can turn the processors off and then back on again and they will work for quite a bit longer. I am just sharing what several people have reported. For me, I am changing my Sonnet batteries on a set schedule so that I never have to worry about dead batteries at inconvenient moments.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, I have just tried this trick and for a cycle nr. 1 - it works for a BB. My battery lasted longer than any time before - I was surpsrised ...A lot...

I`ll keep my records and report later whether this was a beginner`s luck or .... :unsure:  ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Amazon.com is another location, for example, see here.

Joe

• 1 month later...