Shorter cable available for Sonnet and D-coil in the US

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El USA has released a shorter cable for the Sonnet and D-Coil (6.5 cm). Contact your CSR if you need a shorter length.

• HearPeers Heroes

What exactly this shorter cable brings you? 

• HearPeers Heroes

When Med-El released the Sonnet in the US, they did not release the DL-coil so we have been using the Sonnet with the D-coil. It requires a specific cable. That cable came in 8.5 cm as the shortest option. I didn't think it would be a bother as I was fine with the 7.5 cm cable on the Opus2. Lo and behold, measurements can deceive you. Smile. The design of this cable is different and the result is that it is quite a bit longer than the 7.5 cm cable for the Opus2. Most of us end up with a loop of cable that we have to position somehow so it doesn't get caught on glasses etc. Some people actually tied a knot in the cable to shorten it. Med-El must've listened to our problems with the 8.5 cm cable because they just released a 6.5 cm cable for the Sonnet with D-coil. Other countries may not have experienced this dilemma because they had the DL-coil and it comes with a 6.5 cm length. In the US, the DL-coil was just released on June 1st. Many of us now have to wait to see if our insurance will cover the DL-coil. That process can take time. I am eager to receive the 6.5 cm cables and get rid of these loops while I wait for a decision from my insurance on the DL-coil.

• HearPeers Heroes

Aaaah-a... I am following all kind of posts so I remember conversations about this topic - did this longer cable caused malfunctions or shorten life of the cable?

• HearPeers Heroes

No I think people just don't like it because it's longer. It gets caught oh things and gets tangled easier.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Kata is correct. It is just too long and gets caught on eyeglasses or looks a bit off with a loop sticking out. I'm fortunate that my loop hides in my hair.

However this is the cable that people are talking about in the FaceBook group too. Some people have had to replace it because it tears. Knock on wood, so far they have worked fine for me.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok - tnx girls! ;) I sometimes hear about this cable that it malfunctions pretty often so I thought this is also the case. Excellent that Med-EL listen and make accommodations as fast as they can. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the cable (and the rechargeable battery pack that is suppose to be made available) was not going to be charged...because the Sonnet would have came with it in the first place.  I guess.  I do have a voucher for I think the rechargeable battery part.  I have to look at the voucher and see.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I received a voucher for the rechargeable battery kit.

• 1 month later...

If you have the longer cables and want the shorter ones, Med-El will do an even exchange.