Wellness check- smile

Mary Beth

Kay, your Activation Day is just before my own Activation Day.  My Activation Day will be July 18th.  The last Activation Day of my cochlear implant journey, but not the end of the wonderful moments of the journey. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

No it will be the beginning of a very wild ride!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

My pre-op appointment for the second CI has  been scheduled on August 11th! It will be 6 months and one day since my first surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I have had my CI for 10 days. Most of the steri strips came off today except the ones that are still tight. I'll leave them till they get loose. It seems like my husband thinks I can hear him but I know he really doesn't. I can read lips if he doesn't talk too fast and it gets really funny. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get activated. He says he's ready. Activation should be July 14th. I worry about the surgery healing witout getting infected. I'm beginning to think I'm a bit of a hypochondriac . Maybe I am. Are you getting another CI or do you have it? Tina to rest. Peace

Kay, something tells me that you are not hypochondriac  :) Just normal post-op concerns and precautions. I am afraid such strong words that can hold us off from sharing our conserns and asking questions when we need to find support the most. Hope, you are doing better and better. It is only a week left until you activation!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara!

I'm so happy for you! August 11th will be here before you know it and then you may know your surgery date. 6 months is a great interval. Several of my friends waited 6 months between surgeries. My bimodal function peaked at 3 months and by 6 months I was no longer getting any benefit from wearing my HA. My second surgery was scheduled for 8 months after my first. Although I did have to get used to not hearing anything at all when my processors were off, these 2 CIs working together has been amazing (not right away, but after we got them balanced).

I'm so happy for you. Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I am so happy for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay! Cara u beat me!! I'm so happy for you!! Best of luck!! U will be able to tell me

All about hololocation. And how much better it is being bilateral!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, great news! I'm happy for you. It's just getting better and better. 7days and counting til my activation! It'll be nice to hear again even if it isn't perfect! It's too quiet in here !

• HearPeers Heroes

In one week your world will definitely no longer be quiet Kay! Hang in there.

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely! Kay don't worry you may need to go back to quiet a few times!! It can be overwhelming!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks I'm getting very anxious to see what I have. I don't expect perfection. Can someone tell me about tinnitus? I have some really interesting sounds going on. Sometimes marching feet sometimes organ music occasionally a sound like a microphone feedback, goes on all day but not very loud. Sometimes it stops for a very short time. Can it diminish after activation? I think if there was sound competing with it I probably wouldn't notice it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have tinnitus. It was really bad right after surgery. It was bad till activation. It did diminish after activation but when I take of my processor and ha it comes right back. I dint hear it much why I have everything in and sound is great. I get the occasional bells and or whistles but usually nothing when I have everything on ( the processor and ha I mean).

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Kara I thought that might happen. I just don't want it to get worse but it is mostly just annoying. I discovered it sometime sounds like rain so I guess I didn't hear that rain a couple of weeks ago. :-) It was raining though.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay,

Tinnitus sounds can vary in type of sound and in perceived volume. For me, I don't notice my tinnitus when my implants are on unless I am in a very quiet location and then it is very quiet. My tinnitus is louder when I remove my processors at night but it is not as loud as it was before CI surgeries,

During my initial months though, the tinnitus was pronounced at night when I removed my processors. It wa slime my auditory nerve was yelling back at me. Smile. That dissipated in time and is now completely gone.

Best of luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay, I get tinnitus when I'm stressed or have too much coffee. I don't notice it much when I wear my CI. I hear a child's voice in one ear like a man's baritone in the other. It changes from time to time to music. I never had tinnitus until after I got my CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Girls, thanks for being glad for me! I cannot believe that it took just about 6 months for me to progress from being very uncomfortable about the complete silence with two ears implanted. Now I am looking forward for it without any doubt.

Kara, perhaps I will get the second implant before you, but won't be surprised if the fortune wheel will turn toward your luck first :) At least, I wish it to you with al my heart.

Mary Beth, I feel the same as you said - my bimodal function peaked at 3 month and now, when I am close to 6 moths mark, I feel that my HA doesn't help me at all and my residual hearing has dropped significantly to be at any help.

I know that August will be here soon. Actually, I am not in a hurry - I am trying to use my time wisely training my implanted ear to work independently. I spend my two last workdays using just implant with no problem and even significant tension in understanding people. But phone use still a challenge for me, but I am working on it and there is some progress there, too.

I hope my surgery will be scheduled at the end of September or later. My company and one of our important partner are in the process of reorganization for the third months..... so it looks like an uprising in a mad house. I still hope that in month or so all of that will start settling down. I want to be in a very peaceful state of mind for some time before and after the surgery....

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm still so excited for you Cara!! Not so worried about my " good fortune" I'm sure it will work out in the future.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Great idea to adjust to using your implanted ear only before your surgery. Then you will be more comfortable as you await activation of your second ear. I am so excited for you. Remember, these implants are like children- no two are the same experience. Be prepared to go on a unique journey with your second implant. And when they balance out, things will be soooooo wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about your bilateral journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

Just 3 more days!!! Yea! I'm pumped. I've only had hearing in my right ear for several years now and it wasn't too bad til it quit on me. Just having one that will clear speech for me will be wonderful!

Cara, just think how nice it will be to know which direction to turn when you hear something! I wish you joy on your journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Three days!!! Wow! Best of luck Kay!!!