Adult rehab tips page 1

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

iAngel Sound and ABCLIX are both very helpful free apps.  I used them a lot!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 8/17/2016 at 11:58 AM, Mary Beth said:

I have to upload this PDF as separate screen shot pics in order to make this work.  Sorry if it is a bit out of focus.

image.jpeg

@Hearing Again

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I can't find the app that you list with heading page 3 in the App store. 

I searched for cancatenated sentence recognition in noise and there were no results. 

What's the actual name of the app? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I contacted that app’s developers awhile ago alerting them that it no longer works with the newest OS for iPads. I haven’t heard back.  I am working on a revised aural rehab document and sadly will have to remove the 10x5 speech in noise app.  It was the best speech in noise app in my opinion.  It still works on iPads running older OS.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I'm sorry to hear that. I need to work on hearing in noise so I was looking forward to using that app! Let us know if you get a response from them. 

What is the next best alternative? 

I got 79% in quiet but I think only 52% in noise when I was tested last week. 

• HearPeers Heroes

http://angelsound.tigerspeech.com/angelsound_mobile.html

look at item number 6

I don’t have a favorite speech in noise app right now.  I just create my own speech in noise practice sessions.

• HearPeers Heroes

We actually have an older iPad in our home that cannot update to iOS11.  I just checked and was able to download the 10x5 app on that iPad and it works.  So if you know anyone with an older iPad that is collecting dust, you can download it on that and practice.

(It works on iOS 10.3.3)

@Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I was able to borrow a coworker's personal ipad and load the app! Lo and behold I can't make out a thing! 😂 Guess it's way too advanced for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

When you start, it delivers noise and speech at the same volume.  As you make mistakes, it lowers the noise and raises the speech.  You can see the SNR number on the bottom of the screen.  Make mistakes and don’t worry until it presents it at a SNR that you can understand the speech.  It will improve over time.  Are you streaming through the Artone?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I felt the same way the first time.  I had my spouse take the test.  It took me 8 months of practice to beat that score!  😊 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Mary Beth

I am just listening to the sounds using my Sonnet. Nothing else. 

I asked my coworker to take it and she got 0.7 dB. I don't see myself reaching 0.7 dB. Did you use the Artone when using this app? 

My coworker is happy to see me hearing again and has been kind enough to lend me her ipad for a while. I hope the developer saw your note and will update it for the latest ioS. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I use the Artone on T when training aural rehab with my iPad.

Your score will continue to improve over time with practice.  Ask your audiologist what SNR she uses when testing you in noise.  You can use that as a benchmark when you train.  Some audiologists use SNR5, which means that speech is only 5 dB louder than noise.  Many audiologists use SNR10, which means that speech is 10 dB louder than noise.

I never post any of my audiological testing results nor training scores.  I think it is best that we each compare ourselves to our own prior scores.  As long as we are moving forward, our training is working.  If we find that we are not moving forward and we wish we would move further ahead on a skill,  then it is time to change how we are training.

It is nice that your friend is letting you borrow her older iPad.

Feel free to email the app developer too.  They did not respond to me and I have sent more than one request to have this app updated to work on iOS11.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Good point. I have removed my test scores from the previous post. My audi tested me in SNR10. 

So all your aural rehab on the ipad is done with the Artone? I will have to try that. 

I will email the developer. Thanks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

So your goal with that speech in noise app will be to get your scores lower than 10.  I suggest you use the Artone.  Let me know what you think.

But don’t be fooled......that speech in noise test in the booth will remain difficult.  It is all open set.  No grid of word choices to help us.  Smile.

The speech in noise app though did improve my ability to understand speech in noise.  I do quite well in noise.  No need for Roger mics.  So it was worth it for me.  Good luck.  And keep it fun.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I just tried the app again using the Artone. I was able to make out more words! It's still difficult! But I will keep practising. 

Thanks for all your guidance. Much appreciated. 

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Vinod

Scroll to the top of page one in this topic and read this thread for more rehab ideas too

• 1 month later...

Mary Beth,

I have a brand new iPad version 12.3.1.  I have searched for the AB Clix app to no avail. When I put in Advanced Bionics Rebah Apps (app store), I get: rehAB catalogue App, which when I open has the following:

SoundSuccess, The Listening Room, AB, and Able Clix.

I clicked on Able Clix (where it says freely available in the apple store) and it took me to the apple store page where it says "This app is currently not available in your country or region"???

Really? I see from the forum that a lot of people are using it. I know this is an international platform, but has anybody from the United States been able to find this app on their Ipad? Or more specifically in Florida??

Bummed...