Adult rehab tips page 1

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

The CLIX app has been temporarily removed for tech upgrades.  People who already downloaded versions of CLIX on iPads can still use it because once downloaded it runs offline.

Bummer because it is by far my favorite app for people starting out.  If you have a family member or friend who will train with you, the sheets levels A-G follow the CLIX levels.

Alrighty, thank you for letting me know. I hope it is temporary!!  Thanks again :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

We reached out and asked them and were told it is temporary but they do not have a timeline when it will return.  This happened once before too.  Sorry.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

If you tell me what things sound like at this point, I can suggest another app while we wait.

MaryBeth that’s a tough question to answer. Speech is still very unclear and foggy. 

I am having the hardest time finding audio books WITH text apps for my iPad. It seems I find one and the “developer has taken this app off for technical issues” . There has to be at least ONE audio book with text app for my iPad. You would think. 

Very frustrating ...

Hello, have you tried immersion reading with your Kindle books? I have been reading Kindle books on my iPad Pro with their corresponding audiobooks for at least a year and it's just wonderful. While you listen the words in the text are highlighted. You will not lose your place in the story. Of course, you will have to pay for both Kindle book and audio book. Yesterday I purchased a Kindle book for $12.99 and clicked on the "include audiobook" box at the same time for an extra $7.99 charge. Amazon sent both directly to my iPad within minutes. Open the Kindle book, follow the tip to download the audio book, and away you go! If you are not familiar with Amazon's "immersion reading," you will need to search this term within the website for this information.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

Try TedTalk videos.  They are free.  And they are captioned.  So you can listen, speechread (sometimes) and read the captions to follow along.

But there is another possibility.  I used this idea and it worked great for me but some adults are turned off of the idea because the books are geared for kids.  I didn’t mind because I was only trying to learn how to listen...not actually interested in the books.  I used a free two week trial of a reading program for kids.  Books are leveled from way way easy. (Big house, big dog....) to a typical 6th grade reading book about science or famous people.  Audio is great.  Text is highlighted.  If you are interested I can give you a link.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

Raz-Kids. 

https://www.raz-kids.com/

After you sign up for a free trial, download the iPad app.  I used the highlighted listening to text part with leveled books.  It helped train my brain.

Thank you MaryBeth and Lita. I will try and see what works!!

MaryBeth,

I signed up for the free trial of RazKids..

I do not know how to go directly to an audio book to start for myself. It's set up like a teacher/student program. I am a bit lost. Any tips you can give me to go straight to an audio book to start?

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

Assign yourself a name.  Then download the app and sign in.

Go to the book library.  Choose any book.  I believe the ear icon under the book is what allowed me to listen with highlighted text.