Raspy sound to voices.

KathyD

My name is Kathleen Dufresne.  I received my implants a couple of years ago, but in the past few months I have been experiencing a raspy sound to my voice and other voices.  I was wondering if anyone of you have ever experienced anything like that with your implants, and/or had it diagnosed as to what would cause something like this to happen.  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome!

Is this change in voice quality something you notice with both male and female voices?  Do you notice a change in other sounds like music?

Hi Mary Beth,

Thank you so much for replying.  Yes, the raspiness is with both male and female voices and with other sounds like music.    

• HearPeers Heroes

Which processors are you using?  Have you tried listening with only one side at a time to see if it is something that is happening only in the left, only in the right or only when bilateral?

I have the OPUS 2 that I use on the left side and I just got that new one they have out, the Sonet I believe is what it is called, that I wear on the right side.  I have tried turning one off at a time, and the raspy sound is the same no matter which one I have turned on. When I have both on it is just  "surround sound" raspy sort of speak.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting.  The Sonnet mics are very sensitive to bass tones.  Several of us have made adjustments to the maps we were using in Opus2 because of the Sonnet's sensitivity to bass tones.  Since it is happening in each CI separately as well as bilaterally, I am baffled.  Sorry I can not be of any help.

You may want to run this by your audiologist.

if it was a Sonnet only issue, I would suggest changing your mic covers.

maybe someone else on here will have some suggestions for you.

OK.  I appreciate your help very much, Mary Beth.  I'll have to try what you suggested.  Thank you very much.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Kathy,

when you do find a fix for this, please let us know how you fixed it so we can help others who may experience the same thing.  Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Not really sure Kathy D. My only suggestion would be to run it by your Audi and see if you can figure it out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you get a chance, please let us know how things are working out

Thank you, Adam.  I am suppose to be seeing my audiologist in a few months.  I'm going to try to get ahold of her a little sooner though.  I will definitely let you guys at HearPeers know what is done to get rid of the raspiness, if we are able to.  If there is anyway I could help someone else experiencing the same thing I would be pleased to do so.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kathy

be sure to take very detailed notes. When you hear it, exactly what does it sound like, is is different in different environments? The more detail your Audi has, the better.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

KathyD 

did you ever have any resolution to the raspy voices? We would be curious if you did so we can pass on any info that might be helpful

Hi Adam.  I'm sorry to say that there has been no resolution for the raspy voices.  When I last saw my audiologist there was a representative from MedEl there as well.  I wish I could find some solution to it.  It is so irritating.  I now also have a very loud roar in my head as well that sometimes last all day.  Sorry I could not give any help to someone who may be having the same trouble. If I do come upon a solution, I will most definitely share any information that I have with you.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Kathy,

Have you heard about the image guided CI programming study at Vanderbilt?  Several people I know have participated and have reported improved quality of speech.  It may be worth checking out.  Best of luck to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

KathyS

im sorry you are having such struggles. Hopefully you can figure out a soloution  sooner than later

adam

Thank you, Adam.  Mary Beth emailed me yesterday and told me that they have a CI programming study at Vanderbilt U that has helps some people with programs they are having with their CI.  I am going to ask my audiologist about it.  If I decide to look into it more, I will let you know what the results are.  

• HearPeers Heroes

That's so funny you say that Mary Beth! I have been keeping tabs on one of our newer members and she is registered to go to Vanderbilt as she is have similar problems. I will follow up with you what becomes of it. 

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

KathyD

how are things these days? Are you hearing any better? Did you make it out to Vanderbilt?