Do you hear CLEARLY with your CI?

I've had trouble with sounds being muffled through my CI.  I have only been activated for 2 months, and was only deaf for 3 months prior to my surgery.  I am aware of what clear, normal hearing is.  I am wondering if I am expecting too much in thinking that I might hear clearly with my CI?  Are there other folks out there who can tell me if they hear clearly or do you think your hearing is muffled through the CI?  And when I say "muffled" I mean that it sounds to me like people are speaking to me through a few layers of paper towels.  I know that I will not be experiencing "normal" hearing, and that is ok.  I am happy to hear again!  I just want to know if I should not expect to hear clearly.

Thank you!

Annie

Annie:

I don't have my CI yet, but from what I've heard from others it takes time. You might have not had hearing in the implanted ear for only 3 months but I still think it's going to take time for the brain to decipher what it heard before and what is going on now. Meaning the way the brain hears with the CI is by passing the inner ear and stimulating the auditory nerve itself. With a hearing aid all the sounds are amplified and goes through the inner ear.

I guess it depends on how each individual person does, the amount of time that is being devoted to auditory therapy (on your own or with an audiologist) and even how many mapping sessions you've done. I wouldn't give up, it will get better over time. Just right now your implant is needing a little one on one attention.

Mere

I get my CI in one week (March 5th)!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Annie,

How did your appointment with you audiologist go?

Was she able to reprogram your processor so you hear clearly when listening to her speak?

I assume that your audiologist went over realistic expectations concerning your ability to hear with the CI. You have been activated for just two months and it may take a while longer to get consistent results when hearing with the CI.  Unfortunately she can't predict how clear you will hear or how long it will take you to hear clearly, but your audiologist should eventually be able to program your CI so you hear her clearly when you listen to hear speak at a short distance from you as she is facing you. Her voice should sound clear to you. Unfortunately when she turns her head and speaks away from your ear with the CI,  sound will become muffled and unclear. Going bilateral will make this better. However other voices may or may not sound clear to you because you have not been programmed to hear them clearly. You may still hear them clearly if they speak clearly and directly face you. Hopefully over time voices you listen to daily will become clearer.

Since hearing ability with a CI depends on many factors (direction speaker is facing, distance from speaker, background noise, clarity, speed and loudness of speaker's speech) it is very difficult to hear clearly with your CI all the time. Most people hear clearly with their CI some of the time.

Hi there Anthony:

My mapping with my audi went quite well on Monday, as did the meeting with my surgeon.  You are quite right about my being able to hear my audiologist clearly when she is right in front of me in the quiet room.  I requested that she and I go to SeaTac airport and do the mapping, but her reaction to that was met with a chuckle, as expected.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could take our audiologists home with us, and to work and the store, etc...  Just for a few days.  I'd pay big money for that.  Laughing

Things are clearer, but I realize that I am trying to push myself a little bit harder than I should...  All will be better in time.  And now I also realize that the multiple voices factor was really making things muffled for me.

The good new is that I've been given the big thumbs up/all clear on obtaining my second CI!  Hooray.  And I went to see my local ENT doc today and he ordered my blood work.  I got that over with and so that's it!  Just waiting for the final insurance approval and I'm set.  Can't wait to get my surround sound back.  Bilateral here I come...

Thank you for your comments.  Between what my audiologist told me, the new mapping and your explanation, I have a better understanding about what my expectations should be.  And I also have to remember patience.  Not the easiest thing for me.

Cheers,

Annie

• HearPeers Heroes

Annie,

Good to hear you are doing well. You are in a good place as you look forward to your next CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Meredith,

It is great to see your enthusiasm to help others, look forward to hearing about your CI experiences.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am bi lateral sequencial. getting my implants about a month and a half apart. What was drilled into me from the beginning was PATIENCE PRACTICE and PERSISTENCE.

You will have plenty of maps to tweak things. each person is just a little different but I think all would agree that it it DOES get better. be patient and congratulations on your hearing journey!!!

Adam