What do you apply to the healing wound after Ci surgery?

hearingmiracle

Hi,

After CI surgery, do you guys apply anything such as aloe vera after the wounds healed to prevent scar ?

6 hours ago, hearingmiracle said:

Hi,

After CI surgery, do you guys apply anything such as aloe vera after the wounds healed to prevent scar ?

My doctors gave me many things to help clan the area. I was given hydrogen peroxide to mix with saline solution (you don't need much at all but make it a 50/50 mix) then dip a q-tip in it and clean the area of the scar. Then after you do that I was also given essentially a neosporin or bacteria cream to prevent it from any germs/etc. You can pick all of this stuff up at any drug store if you weren't given anything. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, the key is not in specific ingredient than in specific treatment - more accurately, massage the area is a good exercise, just beware you do not push apart the edges of the wound in the opposite direction. A scar will change during 6 months.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told not to apply anything to the wound.  Check with your surgeon for her/his protocol.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think this would depend on the particular surgeon as I am sure each has their own way of advising on this. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. My surgeon took the dressing off the next day and told me to keep it dry. Apply hydrogen peroxide to any scab that forms but to keep it uncovered. Worked out fine. You can't even see a scar. Just touch base with your surgeon or his or her nurse. They can tell you what they prefer.

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course it depends on the surgeon I used night cream by Live Clean for two weeks after the staples came out. It helped with the itching. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told to wash it twice a day and use neosporin for 3 weeks. I  do have a raised area there and it is still tender after 3 months. Don't know if that's normal or not. I guess every Physician has their own preference. 

• HearPeers Heroes
59 minutes ago, Kay said:

I was told to wash it twice a day and use neosporin for 3 weeks. I  do have a raised area there and it is still tender after 3 months. Don't know if that's normal or not. I guess every Physician has their own preference. 

Tender in what way, Kay? It hurts or you just feel it when you touch it?

• HearPeers Heroes

To conclude, each surgeon has its own way, so please - ask your surgeon what they feel as best because if something happens (we do not expect it but we should count on it) they will be those (most likely) who will deal with problems...

My dr told me that I can put neosporin on it.  I used neosporin and a few weeks or so later, my local ear, nose, throat dr (I went there for something) was looking at it and told me that it was very red from irritation.  She asked what I put on it, I told her neosporin (well, the generic). She told  me not to put that on any more because it's very obvious that I am allergic to neosporin and the generic thereof.  She prescribed me some steriod topical cream (Betamethasone Valerate).  So, now I use that even on other sores/cuts because of my sensitive skin.  I haven't put anything on the most recently implanted ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, it is tender to the touch so I need to be very careful that I am gentle . I  brushed over it one day last week and it actually hurt.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Kay,. You may want to contact your surgeon about your pain when you touch or brush that area.  It's always better to be safe than sorry.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with Mary Beth. After a week to 10 days it should be ok. Tender maybe, painful, I don't think so. Especially if your ENT noticed some redness. Is it warm to the touch or is there any discharge of liquid? I would touch base with your surgeon just to be sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kay, I just read your response to Ivana. I am not telling you what to do but if I were in your shoes, I would touch base with your surgeons office just to be on the safe side.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes
On 14. rujna 2016. at 3:37 AM, Kay said:

Ivana, it is tender to the touch so I need to be very careful that I am gentle . I  brushed over it one day last week and it actually hurt.  

I would also support the opinion of contacting your surgeon - this shouldn't be so sensitive; something causes this tenderness... 

I wouldn't like to raise alarms but please, just in case... It is much easier to dwell with the beginning that any further event...