Altitude Sensitivity

Golfergirl

Wondering if anyone has had altitude sensitivity when at higher elevations. My daughter was recently at 5300 feet and experienced dizziness etc... She was implanted about 13 years ago and has been living at very low elevations since then.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry your daughter experienced this.  I do not have trouble with altitude sickness.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry to hear your daughter had difficulties. Let's hope it was a one time occurrence. I have never had any issues with altitude as far as my CIs go. I know a number of people say in a pressurized airplane can have their ears pop but they don't have CIs. I have flown bilaterally implanted with no ill effects.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes
On 15. rujna 2016. at 8:43 AM, Golfergirl said:

Wondering if anyone has had altitude sensitivity when at higher elevations. My daughter was recently at 5300 feet and experienced dizziness etc... She was implanted about 13 years ago and has been living at very low elevations since then.

Does she have any issue with her Eustachian tube(s) or middle ear - this is not connected with a CI at all. Perhaps, or some issues with rhino-allergies? When a nose or tubes are stuffed, it is hard to equalise pressure in the middle ear if tubes are not working well...

However, there is a help - very carefully practise the Valsalva maneuver: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Golfergirl 

how is your daughter doing now? Has the altitude issue settled down since you last posted? If so, what did you do to help?