Sleeping disorder

yiorgos78

Hello.My son was implanted with synchrony/rondo on the 23rd of Feb 2016. It's been six months after the activation and things are moving quite slowly. We are being patient and try to help him in any way we can (he is now 34 months old and goes to speech and ergotherapy twice a week). Our problem is with his sleep. We never had any problems, even after the implantation and the activation (about 2-3 months), he was sleeping 10-12 hours straight. In the last 4 months he's been waking up in the middle of the night now and then. These last 1 1/2 months though it's almost an every night event. When he wakes up, at first we try to calm him down and then put him back to bed (he doesn't wear the processor during his sleep and we don't put it back on when he gets up at night). After a while he wakes up and this time he doesn't feel sleepy at all. So at about 4:30-5 he gets up and stays awake until 8:30-9:30. 

During the day, if he takes a nap, it's going to be a small one ,about 45'-60' (we force him up, otherwise it's going to get longer). We take him for a long walk for at least 45'-60', just to make sure he gets his exercise. We dim the lights and everything 1 1/2 hours before bedtime and we have a small routine that we tend to follow almost every night.

It's a bit frustrating having tried everything with no results. If there is anybody that had dealt with this situation in the past, please let me know. I' ve also tried the lights on and i'm going to try the glow-at-night star stickers, just to be sure that i 've tried everything. Again all comments and tips are welcomed.

• HearPeers Heroes

Does he have one implant? Sometimes it can take a little while to get used to sleeping on the side that the implant is on. 

Not knowing his medical history, I would be sure to consult his pediatrician and CI surgeon as they know his medical history and can answer this question the best. Or at least help you troubleshoot any possible reasons

adam

Yes, he only has one implant. It didn't seem to bother him at first, at all. I've already asked the doctors, but no great answer was given. I have found better answers from parents, who have lived and fought it through, than from the doctors, for such matters. My son seems to have some development issues, in terms of social skills(doesn't imitate,doesn't follow instructions,poor eye contact,doesn't point his finger to show something he wants, doesn't really get the whole hugging process), which are in the ASD spectrum, but it's not yet easy to tell, because of the comorbid hearing loss case he has. Again i don't think it affects his sleep.

• HearPeers Heroes

I've heard some other parents say that it can be from being unable to hear when he is sleeping. He may be confused with it. But I don't really know. Definitely keep on top of the possible ASD spectrum issues.  Best of luck . 

• HearPeers Heroes

I would say this is a temporarily developmental issues. However, whole situation is little bit complicated with a possibility that your child has an ASD spectrum.

Did he wake up before the implantation? This is strongly linked as a trait of the ASD spectrum, I am a godmother to one special boy and he also has sleeping issues. 

Hello Ivana. No, he wasn't waking up before the implantation. He did at some point when he was having new teeth or when he was sick with a stuffed nose, but every kid wakes up in such cases. Why would you say though that this is a temporary developmental issue?

• HearPeers Heroes
On 26/09/2016 at 8:24 AM, yiorgos78 said:

Hello Ivana. No, he wasn't waking up before the implantation. He did at some point when he was having new teeth or when he was sick with a stuffed nose, but every kid wakes up in such cases. Why would you say though that this is a temporary developmental issue?

Well, as different child's brain develops by different speed, they can develop issues which coincidentally appear with other events but are not related. That's why I believe this is a temporary developmental issue. My godson still has a difficult time to fell in sleep. As children brains are very active and in very active period of change each day we can not predict when and what will appear at which particular moment.