Hello from Missouri

Jeri

Hi everyone. I just joined.  I was looking for others who have had implants of any kind, but more specifically the Med El, the brand I am leaning more towards.  A bit about me; I"m a 56 year old mother of 1, grandmother of 3. I've had hearing problems since I was a child. I had Rubella, then pneumonia, at age 18 months and suffered nerve deafness from that. I've worn a hearing aid in my right ear since age 12, and one in my left at age 32 or so.  I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease about that time.  I finally gave up the right hearing aid about 8 years ago, it was making no difference in enabling me to hear on the right side.  In 2010, I finally broke down and went to apply for disability, as I could no longer find a job I could do with my skills. When tested for my hearing, the ENT Social Security sent me to for evaluation suggested I was a prime candidate for a cochlear. I said absolutely not, no way. Based on what I knew of them, they were big, bulky, wires and such sticking out on your head; i was afraid my body would reject the implant and leave me completely deaf.  I felt as long as my left ear could sustain me, I would get by with that.  Six years has passed and my hearing loss has progressed a lot faster than I thought.  It has now come down to stopping the denial and seeing about what can be done.  I have gone to the ENT and to a cochlear implant clinic. What a surprise!! What I was shown are smaller, more compact, and with the level of loss I have (my hearing aid only gives me 1% performance in the testing with no background noise), this is my last resort. If the upcoming MRI and balance test come back ok,  I will be fitted with bilateral implants. I"m a bit scared, nervous, and yet excited.  I'm in the beginning stages yet, as you can see, but I am very excited to see a forum where i can come and read others stories and maybe ask questions to those who already have them.   If the surgeon agrees, I believe i"ll go with the Sonnet (the Rondo looks interesting, but bigger than I would like...I need to research both more fully first)  Anyway, I'm glad to be here!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Jeri.  It's an exciting but anxious time.  We understand.

i also had a progressive hearing loss.  My right side was implanted in Feb 2015 and my left side was implanted in October 2015.  Best decisions ever!  If you play around in Hear Peers a bit you will learn our stories.  

The Sonnet is a great choice.  It is the newest processor from Med-El.  The Rondo is great but it is based on the Opus2 platform, which is the previous generation.

My CI center is a two-processor center which means we receive two processors per side at activation so I have both the Sonnets and Rondos (by choice).  I love the Rondos in the water (in the waterwear covers) and when I will be sweating.  All other times, I use the Sonnets.

best of luck! And welcome.

Mary Beth

Thank you, Mary Beth. Its so nice (and inspiring) to be able to read stories and info from others who have gone through this themselves.  I may have many questions, bear with me!! ;-)

• HearPeers Heroes

No problem.  We were all there and others helped us out.  Ask any questions you have any people will respond.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jeri!! Welcome to Hearperrs!! We're a great bunch of people! I have only one implant for now. Hoping for a second. My hearing before was so poor I started to isolate myself. When I did go out I only listened to what I needed to hear. But now it is so much better! I have been implanted for almost 11 months activated for 10!!  Believe me when I say it was the best thing I ever did!! I can hear music again and talk on the phone. I can also listen to the radio which is the new thing.  I still have to concentrate quite a bit for that. Best of luck on your surgery! I was so scared too when I was told they would do it for me. I had never met anyone or heard of anyone that had one. This forum was my first place to go to. These wonderful people are my new family!! 

• Like 1

Kara, that sounds like me! I had become a bit of recluse the past 10 years or so, it was just too overwhelming to get in groups of people (family gatherings), trying to talk to people in public, and when at home, I stayed in my room most of the time.  My best friend has been begging me for 6 years to go and get evaluated for the CI.  I guess finally meeting a wonderful guy (after being widowed for 16 years) was the turning point. I want to be able to enjoy life with him, and also with my grandchildren, so I finally mustered up the courage to go find out.  Its wonderful to hear you can talk on the phone, listen to music (I would be very upset to continue missing that), and talk to people in gatherings again.  This forum has been wonderful, I keep coming back to read more. Thanks for being so welcoming!

Mary Beth, I just read your story (both links) and have to say how inspiring (i can't say that word enough!!) it is to read what you went through and the difference between the recovery/activation between the two.  I too was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, but my surgeon thinks now it may have been misdiagnosed, since I don't experience the vertigo you do (mostly its dizzy spells occasionally and feeling off balance on a daily basis)  the MRI will tell him more. Thanks for providing the links, it really helps to hear these stories!

• HearPeers Heroes

It is an amazing journey and everyone's experience is unique...or in my case, even each ear's journey was unique.  They both ended up awesome and are very much balanced.  Just buckle up and commit to the aural rehab.  Give yourself time and enjoy the ride.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Jeri,

Just stopped by to say hello...:)

I am not a CI implantee I have the other type of hearing loss so as well the other type of implant) but I like to hang on here since some of experiences are similar to all of us so when I needed it - I got a support so by returning it I can contribute.

What I can add to the testimonies of my dear friends (still waiting our good spirit, Adam :) ) the importance of the post-implant rehabilitation. Beside well done surgical implantation nothing less is importance of a good rehabilitation. This means: practice, patience and - perseverance. This means: nothing comes without practice, nothing is possible to endure without - patience, and nothing is possible to acquire without - perseverance. These 3 simple rules we call here simply - 3 P's rule. ;)

That being said, I will add a greet for the other part of the Globe - from Croatia where I practice as an Ear, Nose and Throat Doc. Since I have moderate to severe hearing loss since my birth, I do not know the other reality than this, a hearing loss one. So, I understand how it is to grow up with a hearing loss. Having opportunity in this particularly interesting part of medicine I can say that I live my dream which could easily cease to exist if I haven't had opportunity to get - a Bonebridge. Dealing in practice with people who all cherish dreams but also have insurmountable fears bordering their lives, I try to connect both worlds in which I actively participate believing that every person has - right to be heard. To be understood. 

;)

• HearPeers Heroes

That's Ivana our poet and philosopher. What a great Intro Ivana!! Almost brought tears to my eyes!! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
6 minutes ago, Kara of Canada said:

That's Ivana our poet and philosopher. What a great Intro Ivana!! Almost brought tears to my eyes!! 

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Nice to meet you, Ivana! And what a noble career you have.  Its so nice to meet others who either have been through this process or work with those who have. Its so hard to describe what we hearing challenged people go through on a daily basis, things we know aren't "normal" but are normal to us.  Just knowing there's others we can turn to for things like this is a huge comfort.  I must really practice the "patience" part of the philosophy, I"m still waiting for word as to when the MRI and tests will be done before we can make final decisions.  But you can bet when activation day comes, "practice" will be my daily mantra.  I'm that determined to see this as big a success as it can be. I have no unrealistic expectations, mind you, but whatever help it brings, I will cherish it fully with hard work.  Thanks for your encouraging words!

EDIT:  my tests and MRI are scheduled for Oct 17! Counting down the days now...

• Like 1