Who has gone bilateral in one surgery?

Jeri

Hi all. I have been reading alot of topics here, so if this has been asked before and answered, forgive me, its a bit overwhelming with all the wonderful threads here.  I may soon undergo surgery for bilateral implants (in one surgery) and  wondered if anyone else here has done that? I know several of you are bilateral now, but noticed that it was done one at a time.  Its exciting but yet a bit scary at the same time.  I'm not afraid of pain (as I know there will be some) and being deaf until activation day (the audiologist tells me I will go 2 weeks from surgery to activation day), but I have a few things I tend to obsess about. If anyone else has done this, can you tell me A) was it hard to sleep until the healing was done, having incisions on both sides (because I'm a side sleeper, and wonder if I can effectively sleep on my back), B)did you have trouble washing your hair without getting the incisions wet, and C) how long was your recovery time?  I live with my son and grandchildren (school age), the house tends to get very noisy when they get home, so I'm thinking about staying with my guy where's it a bit quieter until I have recovered, etc.  I know it will all be worth it, I guess I'm a worrier and a bit vain (2 weeks without washing my hair is almost more than I can bear...LOL)  Thanks in advance!

• HearPeers Heroes

Although I had sequential bilateral surgeries I have friends who had simultaneous bilateral surgeries.  They did great.  Some slept in a recliner for a bit.  Biggest issue was eyeglasses.    They are glad they only had one surgery and one recovery period.

I was allowed to wash my hair much sooner than 2 weeks.  Check with your surgeon about that.

Everyone's recovery experience is different.  I was back to work after one week.

• HearPeers Heroes

With my one I was able to wash my hair after five days. My incision was healed in two weeks when they took out the staples. I am just begining to be able to sleep on that side. As my surgery was not a normal one. Much more complicated than usual. Also you won't hear anything after surgery so it won't really matter where you stay. That's very personal. 

Thanks for your input, ladies! I realize I won't hear, I guess I should have said my house will be filled with activity and grandchildren running about. I'm getting ahead of myself, anyway, as we're not entirely sure if they'll do bilateral (it will depend on the MRI and balance test)   I appreciate the answers, it gives me a bit of comfort to know a few things in advance. I"m still excited and ready to get this show on the road.

Thank you, Mary Beth, I will! I'm still waiting for the MRI to get scheduled. For someone who has drug her feet for so long, now i can't wait to get this party started!:D

• HearPeers Heroes

????it's a party alright!! Don't worry it will come so fast your head will spin!!

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Jeri, I was sequential as well. I as well had known some to go bilateral and did fine. I wanted to but my hospital doesn't allow bilateral. Only bilateral sequential. 

I hope all worked out. 

Adam,  all went very well.  Surgery for my right side was done Jan 6, activating was Jan 23, I'm already hearing quite a bit,  including music!   I have more work to do but it's going very well.  Thanks! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Jeri, 

that is so awesome to hear. Glad things are going well. Please touch base and let us know how you are doing.

adam