Technical failures with Medel implants

KSW

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @dare_v. One type of failure found mostly in children is failure secondary to head trauma. The Maude database has entries with secondary to head trauma failures. A simple slip learning to walk resulting in head trauma should be reported to the audiologist whom can quickly check if there has been a change in the child's response to the processor. The child's pediatric audiologist is familiar with secondary to head trauma failures and can discuss with you.

Best wishes for your child.

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2017 at 3:49 PM, Adam said:

kSW 

if you are asking about MEDEL implants. The instance of a hard failure for MEDEL implants is extremely low. Granted, implants are man made and any device can have a failure but MEDEL goes to great lengths to ensure this doesn't happen. 

My son, who is bilaterally implanted had both sides fail at two different times, a year apart, and had to be re-implanted both times.

• HearPeers Heroes

@txsrangers

I am very sorry to hear this.  I hope your son is doing well with his CIs now.  Wishing him the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@txsrangers

I am sorry that your son had to experience this? I hope you didn't have to bear any of the costs associated with the reimplantation. How is your son doing now? 

10 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@txsrangers

I am very sorry to hear this.  I hope your son is doing well with his CIs now.  Wishing him the best.

He can hear fine out of the ear that was reimplanted last year. The other ear is waiting for the ENT to schedule the reimplant. 

7 minutes ago, Jewel said:

@txsrangers

I am sorry that your son had to experience this? I hope you didn't have to bear any of the costs associated with the reimplantation. How is your son doing now? 

Thank you. He's fine, but we're waiting to get on the surgery schedule for the reimplant. I will probably ask Medel to reimburse us for the deductible our insurance will charge for the surgery. I probably won't be successful in getting it out of them, but I'm certainly going to try. 

• 1 month later...

My daughter was just diagnosed with only one working electrode.  We are going in for surgery next week.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tin_El

I am so sorry to hear this.  I wish your daughter the very best on her reimplantation.  Please keep us posted.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, our daughter is very very active.  So we are having a hard time keeping her CI in good working order.  This last failure is, I am sure, secondary failure due to head trauma, but she never indicated that she hit her head.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tin_El

Hopefully your daughter will be back to hearing with her CI soon.  Kids can be very active!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tin_El

Sorry about your daughter. Hope all well go well with the surgery. How old is she?