My cochlear implant adventure

Mohsin

My name is Mohsin , 65 year male. Had sudden profound sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear, that was 15 years ago. At that time audiologist noted that I am not a candidate for a cochlear implant. Earlier this year audiologist suggested  maybe she could relook at the possibility of a CI. I was approved and had CI surgery two months ago. Been to two follow up sessions with audiologist . First the activation and second appointment was increasing volume across the audio frequency spectrum. 
First problem during surgery was the insertion of cochlear probe was difficult because the cochlear was turned. Secondly head skin was extremely thick and surgeon had to scrape to make it thinner. Thus the op took a considerably long time. I now have a problem with the rondo 3 intermittently attaching to my head. I started using wig tape to secure processor to my head. Presently all  I hear is a hissing / static noise. Trying to remain positive.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mohsin

I am sorry that the Rondo3 is not staying secured well.  Have you checked with Med-El to see if there is a stronger magnet option?

Hi Mary Beth, I have discussed this with audiologist who intern discussed this with surgeon as well as Med El representative. The consensus is that I should give it some time for the skin flap to settle due to residual inflammation. They have tried the strongest magnet. I am presently using a double sided tape that is used for hair wigs to hold the Rondo 3 in place. Hopefully in a couple of weeks time I will not need it any longer 🤞

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mohsin

Many times we can move to a weaker magnet strength after we are fully healed.  I will hope that for you.