Hello everybody, from a wintry U.K.

Peter 16245

I'm here to learn, so rest assured I will be absorbing all I can from everyone's knowledgable posts. As a "silver surfer" with age-related hearing loss, I've now reached the stage where hearing aids aren't doing much (or anything, to be honest) for my hearing. I was referred to the South Wales (UK) Cochlear Implant team about two years ago, and having gone through the treadmill of all their test procedures I have finally seen the Consultant Surgeon and been placed officially on the waiting list. With our National Health Service each individual CI patient application has to be funded on its merits, and I understand that (unofficially) the implant will probably be in about 18 months. So now is the time to research and learn!! Today I went to a "Technology Day" organised by the National CI Users' Association, where four manufacturers gave brief presentations and there was the opportunity to interact with existing CI users (including one gentleman who had his CI implanted 25 years ago!!). 

It's all very intriguing, and I'm grateful that a forum such as this exists - many thanks to you all in advance..... :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Peter and best of luck as you proceed along this journey.  I am thrilled with my Med-El CIs.  They have changed my life. Ask any questions you have and someone will chime in.  

Hello Peter, I live in Michigan in the USA and I had my implant done Feburary of this year and was activated end of March 2016. I also have been going through loss yearly since I was 30 years old to a point I was down to 5% of a normal persons ablitiy to hear at the age of 63. I researched for almost 2 years and picked MedEl because of there history of research and so many changes that can still be updated in the existing unit in our heads. The second most important reason is the Rondo with a magnet on my Skull verses hearing aid I have worn behind or inside my ear. It is still a progress for me daily learning things I have not heard in years but if you stick with it and focus the reward is wonderful. Good luck with what you chose as far which company you decide. They all have top end products but remember you are the one that will be wareing what ever you pick the rest of your life.

Pat Tichenor

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Peter. Welcome to Hearpeers!! I have been implanted for one year and will be one year activated in December. To say the least it has drastically changed my life!! I'm 39 and I can hear music again. I can talk on the phone and have conversations with friends and family again. I wish you all the best in your journey. I would not be where I am today without this forum. Including all my new friends I have made in the CI world. 

• 3 weeks later...