New to Heer Peers, Hello from Delaware!

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

Congrats Megan... Like Mary Said, good start!

I continue hearing people in a pipe, bathroom, Smurfs voices or a radio when is not centered on frequency. The plates and curtleys in the kitchen are extremely high. clink, clink, clink and more clink...:)

The best. I continue discovering new sounds and are very similar I knew them.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth!

Thank you! It feels that way :) I had another audi appointment yesterday and he added 4 new programs for me to listen to. Now I have even higher frequencies to adjust to. Its very interesting being able to hear the "shhh" sounds/noises and hearing my dog's nails on the hard wood floor. I am trying to enjoy the ride and not get discouraged if things sound like noise and very unpleasant at first. Music sounds surprisingly well though, I'm very happy about that!!

• HearPeers Heroes
On 11/12/2016 at 7:59 PM, Valentin said:

Congrats Megan... Like Mary Said, good start!

I continue hearing people in a pipe, bathroom, Smurfs voices or a radio when is not centered on frequency. The plates and curtleys in the kitchen are extremely high. clink, clink, clink and more clink...:)

The best. I continue discovering new sounds and are very similar I knew them.

Thank you Valentin! How are you doing with your journey?

I know exactly what you mean - I visualize everyone being in a separate bubble especially when talking - they almost have a stuffy, nasally sound to them. Yes! Anything banging around or clinking around in the kitchen takes some getting used to - its very high. Who ever knew?!!

Same here. Discovering new sounds every day and following them to see what it is. I'm surprising myself because with 2 hearing aids I could not follow sounds or even find them - I was so off. Completely different story now :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan, I'm happy to read you. Yo and me express it different, but the noises are very similar, so I know this go fine. :)

The worst I have are the people and their voices, although apparently are improving each day. Tomorrow I have to activate second program, and I will post here what happen with it. Today I could hear the birds (not exactly as birds but I recognize whom is the noise), the water falling in the sink and the footsteps of our dog, this last was exactly like I remembered it. The music, phone  and TV are a disaster yet, and all them are my goals.

I know MEDEL and forum have rehab. programs that help me to improve listening skills, but these days I want ejnoy the experience and enjoy the journey. I can hear again!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good to hear from you too Valentin!  The noises we hear are similar and we keep it interesting by describing them differently :) I do like the Smurf reference too, hehe.

I continue to struggle as well with voices and understanding them. How tiring! We will get it eventually and understand everyone with ease one day soon - I just know it. You reminded me, I have to switch to my second program too tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder! I look forward to hearing how you do. I heard Canadian Geese the other day and it was more of a deep "honk" than a squawk. Hopefully soon I'll be able to hear some other birds too as I couldn't a week ago when there was a bunch squawking birds in my back yard.

I tried the phone today and still the issue of understanding a complete sentence. I can pick up certain words here and there but not a complete sentence. The tv was a disaster for me on switch on day - just noise and ringing. It sounds much better now. The best I can say is listen to it for as long as you can stand. I made myself listen through all the noise and ringing and read the closed captions. Saturday there was no more noise and ringing. For music, maybe try listening to something you are familiar with and can recognize some portion of it. When I first listened, there was absolutely no voice just the underlying beat. The voice returned to me later after listening to the song repeatedly. Everybody is different - this is just what happened to work for me and maybe will help you :)  I hope the tv and music get better soon for you!

Today I tried some listening activities......oh my goodness....baby steps!

Enjoy the experience and hearing again Valentin!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Second step today. I understand better my wife and family. Apparently volume and ringing voice go up, and I believe this happen for second stage. For TV, I activate subtitle (This is trap :D), and go fine but when I close the eyes is like word and phrases disappear for my ears. The voice of all continue serious and cartooned like you said ii other post.

• HearPeers Heroes

I've noticed that too on program two - ringing voice goes up as does volume. I find there is a little bit more clarity with sounds and voices. Interestingly enough I understand myself really well! :) I am still struggling with the "shhhh" sounds. Are you? Subtitles are the best! They make it so much easier. Same here, I can't understand anything with my eyes closed - I heard somewhere that people hear better when they can see everything around them. Haha, I feel like I'm on Looney Tunes sometimes with the cartoonish voices :lol: I heard a new sound today - the "wooooosh" of the water going into the refrigerator! Wow.

Happy hearing Valentin!

• HearPeers Heroes

Don't worry Magen and Valentin!! It took about three months for all the sounds to make sense and so I could understand them. I still to this day at one year watch t v with captions. Sometimes I will close my eyes to see what I hear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you for the reassurance Kara!!! Even my family said you are hearing sounds better than words. Its working for sure however the word understanding needs to kick in. I don't think I'll ever not use captions...they're my jam :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you started playing with ABCLIX app yet.  Level 1.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have not Mary Beth. I'm looking into that right now! Looks helpful :)

• HearPeers Heroes

It helped me a lot.  You do not need to be able to understand any speech to start that app.  Level 1 just asks you to decide how many syllables you heard.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan. It's curious, exactly same as you on reab hear process

I found Mary app comment but I see it's for Mac/iphone. I paste link here.

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan on link above there are a lot of resources for reab, I saw it the days before connection and I forgot it. I'm, hearing spotyfy music now from the link posted.

It heard with voice hoarse, like if the author were sick of the throat.

• HearPeers Heroes

At least we know its working Valentin - we are hearing sounds! Voices are going to be more of an effort and practice.

Thanks for attaching the link for rehab links. I have a Mac and Iphone and I didn't have any luck finding it or downloading it in Itunes. My MAC is old maybe thats the problem...

• HearPeers Heroes

How do you like the Spotify music playlist? I've just been taking suggestions and listening to all the music I previously listened to (as they are memorized)

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm doing the suggestions and listen first themes  I listened before ear lost.

I read about hear first instrument separatelly. I'm looking for resources about it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Does music and tv sound any better than last week?

I think I read about listening to a single instrument and then adding more over time. Hope it's working and music sounds better!

• HearPeers Heroes

If you are having trouble finding AB CLIX in iTunes, maybe check to see that you are searching for iPad apps?  I checked just now and it is there.

• HearPeers Heroes

For music, I just listened to any music.  I enjoyed different parts of the music at different times.  It is like a gift that was unwrapped slowly.  Smile.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Ahhh yes that's why...I have a Mac laptop and Iphone, not an Ipad. My mom has one, so I'll ask her if I can borrow for a little bit :)  Thanks Mary Beth!

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan, The music I notice the rithm, the letter I don't undersstand yet. It similar to people voices or TV. IThe music on spofity are in english. MED EL, must upload something in Spanish :D. I remember better because is in my natal language.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin - I'm not sure any of the songs listed below on Youtube you would like but they are in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. Maybe that would be more helpful than English Spotify??? If the link doesn't work just go to Youtube.com and type in "Spanish songs with lyrics." Let me know how it works for you :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spanish+songs+with+lyrics

Rhythm was the first thing I recognized too :)  How awesome our ears are doing!

And yes Med El needs to upload Spanish for you and everyone whose native language is Spanish!

• HearPeers Heroes
41 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

For music, I just listened to any music.  I enjoyed different parts of the music at different times.  It is like a gift that was unwrapped slowly.  Smile.  

Mary Beth I am finding that out! Each time I listen to a song that is familiar to me something new pops out that I didn't hear before I got the implant :D

I too have been listening to anything and everything! It sounds so great :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Just wait until you discover that you have been singing the wrong lyrics to songs for years!  Smile.