New to Heer Peers, Hello from Delaware!

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin,

we are so happy for you! You must be excited for your first mapping. Be sure to bring notes of what things sound like so your Audi can make the right adjustments. Remember it is going to take a number of mappings to start to dial things in. Be patient and enjoy the ride. Please let us know how the mapping goes.

adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

First mapping done. "all advance good" my doctor say, He is happy with my evolution but they understand that I hope better advances in these past months. This is a slow process.

They map me two channels with different configurations,and will see me in three months. With this mapping they want to be the ear behavior to improve in next appointment. I detect a very slight change from one to another.

(Aplying 3 P's)  :huh:

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That is great Valentin! Sounds like you made good progress. Keep at it and everything will continue to improve! Definitely apply the 3 P's ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

That is great Valentin! Sounds like you made good progress. Keep at it and everything will continue to improve! Definitely apply the 3 P's ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin

that is awesome. It does take some time. There were periods of frustration for me as well as awesome new sounds. Keep working hard my freind. You will get there

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Many times without comment about me.

My journey go slow. I had have my third mapping past month. Somethig better but  have to work a lot in rehab. . My "worst friends" are the TV, radio, phone... and similar sounds). In one by one  if she/he have patience go something better if talk directly to me, with more peoples it is more difficult. In noisy environment I need help from finetuner but not always get success.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hola @Valentin !!!!

I've been meaning to message you ?

Fast or slow, progress is still progress!

Glad to hear the 3rd mapping is better than the last. Keep at the aural rehab, it can only get better with time. Promise! I challenge myself with videos that have no captions to see how much I can understand. It's a journey! So enjoy the small accomplishments/wins along the way ? Honestly, I think I will always struggle to a certain point listening in noise like you. I also think hearing people struggle in noise too to a certain extent. You are doing great Valentin! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Good points Megan!  These journeys are not sprints.  And everyone's journey is unique.  My own right and left CIs took very different journeys!  As long as you are making progress, you are headed in the right direction.  Smile.  

I often comment on how what we hear at activation is not an indication of how we will perform with our CIs in our real lives over time.  Some people who actually understand speech at activation, never feel comfortable using a phone.  Other people who do not understand speech at activation (which is much more common), use phones easily later on.  So the speed that we acquire listening skills with our CIs is not important.  

Aural rehab is our friend.  Remember to train in as similar a situation as you can for what you are trying to improve.  If you want to work on hearing better in noise, train using your mics (not headphones, neckloops, etc) in noise.  If you want to hear the TV better, train with the TV.  Etc.

I wish you continued success Valentin.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's curious Mary Beth comment about understand or not when activation. I think is because if ear/brain detect the rehabilitation is an easy work it's become lazy. If it don't understand nothing it will begin to work harshly for understand better.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin,

Then my brain had lots of work to do!  And I am thankful for it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine too. And continue on it. :D

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Just checking in to see how things are going for you Megan.  I hope all is going great.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Mary Beth!

Thanks for checking on me ? I know I’ve been absent but for good reason- I started a new job at Anthropologie in Philadelphia so the days are long with the commute. The Bionic ear is doing incredible at work ? the building I’m in has super high ceilings and hardwood floors, it was a struggle before but now it’s much easier!!! I’m super happy about that and I’m not as tired as before. So all is well on my end ? 

How are you doing? How is school going?

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations on your new job @Megan L.!  That is terrific and I am so happy that your CI is working well for you there even in difficult acoustic settings.  Which mic setting are you choosing to stay in?

I am doing great.  School is off to quite a busy start this school year.  Smile.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Mary Beth!!! The acoustic setting was a challenge but not anymore thanks to the CI ? - my building used to be where they repaired boats for the Navy (URBN is in the Philadelphia Naval Yard) so there’s a lot of noise and echoes plus dogs barking ? I stay in the Adaptive mic setting. It works great for all the time at least for now. Which setting do you use?

Glad to hear you’re doing great and school going well ?

• HearPeers Heroes

My favorite Sonnet setting is always adaptive.  It works the best for me too.  I switch to omni setting for listening to music with headphones and playing the piano.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can’t remember the last time I used the Omni setting. After having the Adaptive setting these last few months, I never felt like I needed to change it.

Oh and I almost forgot! I tried listening on my cell phone on M yesterday and I could hear everything crystal clear!!! Amazing. I haven’t tried it in noise though but in quiet I was really happy to find out I could hear on just M, no telecoil needed. Smile ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L., Being able to listen on our cell phones on M is an accomplishment worth celebrating!  Isn’t it so liberating?!  Way to go!

Sometime when you are using headphones, switch to omni and see if you notice quite a difference in the fullness of bass sounds in music.  (Then let me know what you think.  Smile.). I stay in adaptive all of the time except for music listening with headphones and playing the piano.  Omni brings out full bass tones for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth yes it is so liberating!!! I didn’t think it’d be possible and then I just gave it a whirl and was pleasantly surprised. Smile ? 

When I get headphones, I will certainly try listening to music in Omni. I do remember the base tones sounding full in Omni when I was in my car and softer in Adaptive. Good thing we have options!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @Valentin just wondering how you’re doing. We’re coming up on our one year activation anniversary ? hope you’re doing great!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Megan L.

You have right. Next months we have our activation anyversary and at same time I have also a new mapping sesion. I'm impatient to discover what news come with it. I hope all go  forward ... slowly but without pause.

In same appointment I hope they say what happen last July in MRI room, because it was not possible to do the exam. MED EL comment to me, they were going to investigate directly the issue with the hospital.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Valentin!

One year just flew by and here we are less than a month away from our activation anniversary ? new mapping sessions always make me anxious too because I want to know how I’m doing but then at the same time, hope that nothing is wrong. I’m sure you will do great! You've made a lot of progress over the last year. 

I remember you saying that happened with the MRI. That is very curious. I hope you get an answer so it can be prevented next time. 

Good luck at your next mapping Valentin! You’ll have to let us know how you do ?

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I wonder how well you do in large meetings. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

Large meetings can be a challenge sometimes but it is nothing like it was before I got the CI! I still have to be strategic about where I sit and figure out who is going to be doing most of the talking. I also still try to sit with someone I’m comfortable with incase I miss something. Overall though, it’s MUCH easier than before ? 

You’re not implanted correct? Have you decided if you are?