New to Heer Peers, Hello from Delaware!

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes
34 minutes ago, Megan L. said:

@stream2525

Large meetings can be a challenge sometimes but it is nothing like it was before I got the CI! I still have to be strategic about where I sit and figure out who is going to be doing most of the talking. I also still try to sit with someone I’m comfortable with incase I miss something. Overall though, it’s MUCH easier than before ? 

You’re not implanted correct? Have you decided if you are?

I am not implanted yet and still deciding between Med-El and Cochlear . I can't do it in my country because there is no place for such surgery ,so I need to travel abroad. I am collecting information before I discuss with the surgeon. I need to be ready to ask him many question that help me decided. My main goal is to be able to understand speech in large meetings 40-50 people without the help of any assistive device. The secondary goal is to keep my hearing in low frequencies. I am at 20db in the 250hz and 40db at 500 hz, and the rest are at profound level with no response at 4000hz and above. It is a one time thing and is irreversible ,so I need to make sure to get it right. I prefer an off the ear processor like Rondo or Kanso. I am also learning about electrodes and internal implants. The one that will help preserving my residual hearing is the one I will go for. 

Do you feel that you sometimes miss things during meetings? What about speech outdoor from distance ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

from my experience with meetings, it is rather a place acoustics than a number of people that affects  my comfort in understanding. And sometimes it is hard to get what is said when several people talk at the same time. It became easier after I got bilateral and even better with EAS. Still can be challenging, but quite manageable.

Hearing outdoor from distance depends on several factors - noise type and rate, the type of voice you trying to listen to.... What distance do you think about when asking about outdoor conversation. I just got a thought that sometimes I increase my CIs sensitivity to understand speech from the longer distance indoor, but never done this when I am out.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

I too was torn between Med El and Cochlear. In the end I’m SO thrilled I didn’t go with Cochlear- their forum is not like ours; I couldn’t find anyone who liked music (supposedly sounded like noise and static); their design of the implant wasn’t nearly as impressive as Med El;  could only go into a 1.5 T MRI; and their implant didn’t have as many electrodes as Med El (which is crucial for music). 

I kept a running list of questions in a book for my visit with the surgeon- so excellent idea!

I don’t use any ALDs in my meetings. Just my CI. Of course I miss things in meetings! Who doesn’t? Please remember: you will never hear everything in a meeting - even hearing people miss things - so don’t put that pressure on yourself and don’t be afraid to ask people to repeat stuff or reiterate for clarification. The CI will help tremendously with hearing more and understanding.

I hear things like cars, birds, people from a good distance. 

The only thing that bothers me about the off the ear processor is that it’s hard to use the phone or cellphone with it due to placement. A neck loop is needed or I have to put it on speakerphone. I love it otherwise.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi guys, 

I had new mapping some weeks ago. The new version of Maestro allows my audi to improve the clarity of voices and more clean sounds. He commented to me that there are other changes to apply but he prefer to be prudent.

In this mapping he reached reduce tinnitus. I still listen to them but with less intensity

Sound and voices continue with low pitches, but yes, I recognize I reach one step ahead :-)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

YAY! I am so happy for you!

Was this MAPping your Rondo using Maestro 7?

Do you know which new feature of Maestro 7 your audiologist used to make these improvements for you?

Maestro 7 is not released yet in the US.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Great to hear from you and what an awesome update!!!!

I’m super happy for you and all the progress you’re experiencing ? 

Like Mary Beth, I have the same questions about how your Audiologist used the Maestro 7 in your MAPping! I wonder when it will be released in the states...

• HearPeers Heroes

I did the question him because I read here that a new version was release, but sincerely I don't know the version :-(, but when I asked about using the new version of Maestro he answer me he was using the new one. I will confirm in my next Appointment. I'm sorry :-/

As I understand, the audi, can to have more accuracy when mapping frequencies inside a range of them and probably for this reason I ear the sounds and voices more clear.

It Is like you have an old radio where you select the stations with channel selector. If this radio station transmit outside the channel (up or down of the frequency), you can ear it but probably you don't understand with clarity . They can fine the frequency to reach the exactly or very near where they must to be.

After some weeks, I detect a better advance compared with previous sessions.

A  curiosity question, the software for this type of devices required FDA approval as well? I believed only was applied for physical devices.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very cool @Valentin!! I’m excited now to try the new software when ever it becomes available. More accurate MAPpings and clearer voices is always a good thing ? plus it probably has a better sound quality overall. 

Maybe @Mary Beth can answer your FDA question??? Like you mentioned - devices need approval but does the software? I’m not sure 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think so as Maestro 6 is listed in the FDA approval list.  There was a training in the US in April for Maestro 7 so maybe it will be released soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth thanks for sharing! I’m hoping that in July I’ll be able to benefit from the new software. Hopefully it will be released soon...

• HearPeers Heroes

Software that affects function of medical devices is required to be fully qualified and validated.  It makes sense that something so critical requires an addendum to the PMA for the device.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Here is a screenshot of the workshop in NC on Maestro 7.  Makes me think it is coming.

5F74E064-D633-46D5-8B22-B50B21A6885E.png

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I am not aware of it is. I’ll ask about it on my appt next Friday. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth 

I experienced a bit of a digital detox this last week! My parents got a house in Rohoboth, DE and they failed to mention just how FAR REMOVED from civilization I'd be.....there was no WiFi in the new house and absolutely no cell service. Smile. haha! It was nice though and it seems I missed a lot here on Hear Peers!!! I will respond soon :) Also, thanks for the screen shot of the Maestro 7 flyer. Fingers crossed it's coming soon!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

As for maestro 7, it’s not yet available here in Canada. My Audi is going for training on June 20 to learn about it. She said it then takes time for the IT dept to get it up and running. So she said end of August. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada thanks for the update - looks like we're all going to have wait a little longer!

How's the brain training/rehab going? Any WOW moments?

• HearPeers Heroes

Things are going well @Megan L.  speech is up there now and still working on it. I’m not loving the testing I get since I’m in a study group with my new ear. But that’s ok. Someone has to do it so that Canada will consider two implants for adults. Or at least Ontario. As for wow moments they are there but seem to be subtle these days. I was listening yesterday during training and was able to hear and not continually follow along. So it’s getting there. Also being able to have a conversation in a noisy environment is getting better too. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada Amazing! So happy to hear things are progressing well :) Are you able to share what kind of testing you have to do for the study? Sounds interesting and I'm curious! You are the perfect person to show Canada they need to consider 2 implants for adults - keep up the good work!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

So the testing is basically left ear words and sentences in quiet. Then words and sentences in noise. Then right ear the same. Then together. Then she had a device that puts background noise into the inplant and words and sentences again. Both ears. Then of course the dreaded hearing test for residual hearing. Scores have failed a bit for my right ear and the left as well. Oh well. A peaceful night while sleeping!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada sounds like the testing is a bunch of continuous MAPpings. That must be SUPER tiring! Every time I do the hearing test for residual, I always think to myself, "That is SO bad!" It definitely makes for a peaceful night sleeping though :)