Yoga and Pilates after Surgery

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan,

i feel your frustration. I looked at it like it was an opportunity for me to develop my patience. I thought I had enough but apparently not.?

On the brighter side, you are able to do something. You will get there soon enough. 

I am doing very well. Usually pretty active here but a crazy time at work. Very nice to meet you and a belated CONGRATULATIONS!!! 

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

Haha definitely an opportunity to develop patience ? It's all good though because I hear better than I ever have!  So it's worth it. Thank goodness I like a variety of exercise and don't rely on just one or two. 

Yes it is a bright side that I can do something! ? I think I'd go crazy (and probably fat) if I couldn't do something. 

I hope work is slowing down to a more manageable pace for you ? What kind of exercise things do you like to do? 

Its great to meet you too and thank you! It's been a wonderful, crazy ride since being implanted ?

*Megan

Hello Megan,

After my surgery (each time), I had to wait at least one month before I could start back exercising - even then I took it on the easy side.  Of course follow your dr's order.  Even shortly after my last surgery, I was moving things because my husband and I were preparing to move.  It definitely was a bit of a challenge because not suppose to lift heavy things and had to just be careful.  Just a few days over two months following my surgery, we actually did the moved.  I have picked back up on my exercising again - I do a wide range of exercise - hip hop abs, another similar dance work out, resistance training, and now clogging, oh, plus some zumba.  It's definitely wise to move slowly back into exercising. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan,

I have a Black belt in Taekwondo, a Black belt in Tang Soo Do and a purple belt in Harding Gumdo. I have been involved in martial arts for many years.

i am an ultramarathon runner. My last race was a 24 hour run. I covered 80 miles in the 24 hours.

i also really enjoy Crossfit.

even after 39 surgeries I still try to keep busy. 

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Ms_D said:

Hello Megan,

After my surgery (each time), I had to wait at least one month before I could start back exercising - even then I took it on the easy side.  Of course follow your dr's order.  Even shortly after my last surgery, I was moving things because my husband and I were preparing to move.  It definitely was a bit of a challenge because not suppose to lift heavy things and had to just be careful.  Just a few days over two months following my surgery, we actually did the moved.  I have picked back up on my exercising again - I do a wide range of exercise - hip hop abs, another similar dance work out, resistance training, and now clogging, oh, plus some zumba.  It's definitely wise to move slowly back into exercising. :-)

Hi Ms D!

I think I waited 6 weeks before jumping back into exercising, just because I was cautious. Only now am I really starting to pick up the pace on exercising and jumping up and down. Im definitely easing myself back into things ? Yes it was a challenge not to lift or bend over the first 4-6 weeks. Clogging?! That's so cool! What kind of shoes do you wear for that? In my mind I'm thinking wooden shoes....haha ?

• HearPeers Heroes
15 hours ago, Adam said:

Megan,

I have a Black belt in Taekwondo, a Black belt in Tang Soo Do and a purple belt in Harding Gumdo. I have been involved in martial arts for many years.

i am an ultramarathon runner. My last race was a 24 hour run. I covered 80 miles in the 24 hours.

i also really enjoy Crossfit.

even after 39 surgeries I still try to keep busy. 

Adam!

You sound like a real life NINJA!!! ? I wish there was a ninja emoji I could insert here...

I wish I liked to run. It looks like fun and a good exercise but could never get into it. I did all sorts of dance growing up which is where I tend to lean for exercise. It's my jam ?

Crossfit scares me...it's so hardcore but on the flip side such a good workout. Maybe one day! Kudos to you!

Wow. 39 surgeries and still moving like a Ninja Boss ?Go Adam! 

1 hour ago, Megan L. said:

Hi Ms D!

I think I waited 6 weeks before jumping back into exercising, just because I was cautious. Only now am I really starting to pick up the pace on exercising and jumping up and down. Im definitely easing myself back into things ? Yes it was a challenge not to lift or bend over the first 4-6 weeks. Clogging?! That's so cool! What kind of shoes do you wear for that? In my mind I'm thinking wooden shoes....haha ?

I just started clogging the first week of January.  So, right now, all beginner cloggers wear tennis shoes.  After the first month, they will tell us where we can get clogging shoes from.  Those advanced cloggers who are helping the beginners wear clogging shoes.  Their shoes appear to have a metal piece on the toe and heel area of the shoes. I have not yet seen any with wood piece, though I have read some clogging shoes have wood parts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan,

thats one of the things I about Crossfit is that each workout is scalable. Meaning to adjust the intensity and movements to the persons ability. 

A crossfit coach I know invited me to start working out there after I had had a pretty rough brainsurgery and recovery. After the first workout, I was hooked. I think more to the community and encouragement of the members. I finished dead last in the workout with it scaled waaay back. Those that had already finished gathered around me to cheer me to the end. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I actually had to wait 6 weeks before activation. They wanted to make sure that everything had healed nicely. I also was in the same boat for a while. I couldn't do anything inverted or no hard straining for a while. It took baby steps but eventually was back at it full steam ahead

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, Ms_D said:

I just started clogging the first week of January.  So, right now, all beginner cloggers wear tennis shoes.  After the first month, they will tell us where we can get clogging shoes from.  Those advanced cloggers who are helping the beginners wear clogging shoes.  Their shoes appear to have a metal piece on the toe and heel area of the shoes. I have not yet seen any with wood piece, though I have read some clogging shoes have wood parts.

That's so cool! What made you take up clogging? I used to do tap, ballet, modern, and hip hop...I miss them all! Due to a pinched nerve and no padding on the balls of my feet, I can't do ballet or modern anymore but I can still do hip hop and tap ? When I get more settled, I'm going to look for a place to take dance classes ?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Adam said:

Megan,

thats one of the things I about Crossfit is that each workout is scalable. Meaning to adjust the intensity and movements to the persons ability. 

A crossfit coach I know invited me to start working out there after I had had a pretty rough brainsurgery and recovery. After the first workout, I was hooked. I think more to the community and encouragement of the members. I finished dead last in the workout with it scaled waaay back. Those that had already finished gathered around me to cheer me to the end. 

Hi Adam- yeah I've heard that they adjust the intensity to fit your level. I heard they also watch you closely to make sure you have good form ? That's good they are so supportive. 

I've found it doesn't hurt to wait a little longer after surgery before attempting to resume normal. I was extra cautious with this surgery as I didn't want to mess anything up during recovery. Every day is a little progress closer to doing yoga and Pilates ? There's no rush!

27 minutes ago, Megan L. said:

That's so cool! What made you take up clogging? I used to do tap, ballet, modern, and hip hop...I miss them all! Due to a pinched nerve and no padding on the balls of my feet, I can't do ballet or modern anymore but I can still do hip hop and tap ? When I get more settled, I'm going to look for a place to take dance classes ?

I have always wanted to learn to clog.  Growing up, I was allowed to do any sports or dance or stuff like that (probably because of money), so I never learned.  I have bought exercise workout dvds - especially dance ones - over the years, and have tried the gym.  I don't like the gym.  I attended Zumba classes for about a year - loved it, but got out of it.  I have the dvd set at home that I sometimes workout to.  When we moved back in August (we moved out of state for my job), I found out that there was a local Clogging group and that their new year of classes would begin in January.  Since it is only $25/mo (when most dance lessons cost at least $45 - even Zumba), I decided to sign up.  It's a great way to get a workout, meet new folks, and do something you have always wanted to do.  I haven't really talked to anybody yet, but I am picking up on the steps. :-) 

• HearPeers Heroes

When I first started out dancing, it was an after school dance program. It wasn't until high school my parents had to pay for dance lessons. I was fortunate in that regard. I have so many DVDs that are dance related as well as the Wii. I think it's great you are pursuing the things you always wanted to do as a kid. Be fearless, be bold, and be curious! But most of all ENJOY it ? Dance your heart out!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Especially now that you can hear the beat.  Smile.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

LOL.  I said that to be funny but it is actually true.  Two months before starting the appointments to see if I qualified for a CI, we attended a wedding reception for close friends.  I could not even join in the dancing because the music just sounded like a mess of random noise.  There was no beat.  I was so sad.  The final, remaining piece of music was gone.  Fast forward to life with my CIs and I am jamming to music everyday.  I am learning new songs just by listening and have started to play the piano again.  I have attended music concerts in huge arenas (Adele in Montreal), in small theaters and Broadway shows.  These CIs have just given me so much.  Words can not describe my gratitude to Med-El, my surgeons and my awesome audiologist.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Haha! I wouldn't have known but it is true!! Music sounds different in a good way. I bet it was sad not being able to hear the music, I would be so depressed. That's awesome you play piano. I want to learn one day - it's on my bucket list. I play flute but for the time being (I'm hoping it improves over time) I have trouble discerning when I'm sharp/flat/on key. Since getting the CI, I so want to go to a symphony/orchestra concert to test it out. I haven't been to a broadway show since getting the implant but I'm anxious to test it out there since understanding dialogue was hard before. I can only imagine how AWESOME it was to see Adele in concert...lucky lady you!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

When I directed the martial artists in the THORN, all their entrances and exits were based on music. This was almost a year before I got my implants. I would hold a balloon as you can feel the music vibrate through the balloon almost down to the note, just like an ear drum. It Helped a lot. Just had to answer the question of why I was holding the balloon all the time. :)

2 hours ago, Megan L. said:

When I first started out dancing, it was an after school dance program. It wasn't until high school my parents had to pay for dance lessons. I was fortunate in that regard. I have so many DVDs that are dance related as well as the Wii. I think it's great you are pursuing the things you always wanted to do as a kid. Be fearless, be bold, and be curious! But most of all ENJOY it ? Dance your heart out!

Thanks.  I wish I had the Wii.  I love to try different things. :-)

• HearPeers Heroes
21 minutes ago, Ms_D said:

Thanks.  I wish I had the Wii.  I love to try different things. :-)

The Wii is one of my most favorite toys I own ? I got it probably 5 years ago and have yet to get tired of it! I highly recommend it especially with the Black Eyed Peas and Dance central! 

• HearPeers Heroes
59 minutes ago, Adam said:

When I directed the martial artists in the THORN, all their entrances and exits were based on music. This was almost a year before I got my implants. I would hold a balloon as you can feel the music vibrate through the balloon almost down to the note, just like an ear drum. It Helped a lot. Just had to answer the question of why I was holding the balloon all the time. :)

A balloon is a great idea! What inspired a balloon to solve your music issue? Just curious as I probably would not have thought of it ? 

And what did you tell them? ??

• HearPeers Heroes

A balloon is a great idea! What inspired a balloon to solve your music issue? Just curious as I probably would not have thought of it ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

• HearPeers Heroes