Yoga and Pilates after Surgery

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been pretty heavily involved in the local Deaf community. Actually long before I started losing my hearing. 

If they have parties, some will blow up balloons and have them around so the people there could enjoy the music. They would also take a stereo speaker and lay it facedown on the floor. So they could feel the beat through the floor.

i just explained what the balloon did and let them hold it so they could feel it. Most people that didn't know me very well (350 in the cast) didn't believe I was deaf. Mainly because Icould read lips so well

• HearPeers Heroes

So you know sign language!!!! I learned sign language when I was a kid but lost some of it due to being mainstreamed and no one to practice with. I still hope to find someone to practice with one day ? 

I've heard about speakers on the floor and  "musical" lights but never a balloon. That's a great creative way to feel music.

Thats really amazing! 350 people is a lot ? I can read lips too, it's been my saving grace my whole life - I had 0% discrimination in my implant ear and 1% in my right ear. Thank goodness for lip reading!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes ma'am I do know sign language. I get to use it at least once a week. A cashier at our local grocery store noticed my processors and started signing. As it turns out, her son is Deaf. We sign to each other every time I go.

luckily I have a talent to be able to lipread. Of course if we go out to dinner, our server will be the low talking non mouth moving, full of facial hair server. Happens every time :)

cant catch a break

• HearPeers Heroes

Lucky you! That's awesome you found someone to sign with ?

Haha ? yeah what's up with the beard phenomenon?! It does make it hard to lip read along with zero annunciation. Gahhhhh!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yoga or Pilates is more hard than kickboxing.... I can not believe it. :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

It's hard to explain Valentin! Yoga and Pilates are not about endurance but rather breath control, balance, and using your own body weight to tone. They are also good for emotional and mental health. You should try yoga or Pilates some time to get the full experience ? If you do, let us know how it goes!

• HearPeers Heroes

I have no flexibility, I would look rediculous trying. Of course everyone in the room would have a good laugh

• HearPeers Heroes

Good sense of humor Adam.

Some people comment to me about it and every time more.

• HearPeers Heroes

If you can do all the karate you do I'm sure you could do some pilates or yoga. There is lots of flexibility in karate. 

• HearPeers Heroes

True, 

they both don't interest me.great way to stay in shape and flexible. Just not my thing. Of course I don't know too many people that would want to run for 6 or 8 hours for the heck of it. We all have different interests which add a little spice to life. Rock on, yoga posing maniacs?

• HearPeers Heroes

Being able to control your breathing, especially in different situations does wonders for the body. Just by controlled breathing, you can lower your heart rate and blood pressure even under stressful situations.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin, it is also very difficult to hold those static positions fro a certain amount of time. Some positions can throw you off balance so you have to use many different muscles to keep you steady. It is not as easy as some people make it look

• HearPeers Heroes
These comments have raised my curiosity by these two disciplines.

• HearPeers Heroes

On 1/19/2017 at 6:21 AM, Adam said:

Valentin, it is also very difficult to hold those static positions fro a certain amount of time. Some positions can throw you off balance so you have to use many different muscles to keep you steady. It is not as easy as some people make it look

Adam, you sound like you are pretty much in the topic :) So, don't tell me that you are not enough flexible and afraid to look ridiculous while trying.... There is only one bad thing that can happen to a yogi. It is if you cannot untangle yourself whole sitting in, for example, a lotus pose and there is no a cellphone within your reach to call 911 to get some help :) 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome back Cara.  I have missed you here.  You are so funny!

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, i also miss our great group. Thinking about us much more often than writing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I am not afraid to make myself look rediculous. I can do that without any effort ?

Yes that would be bad to be like a pretzel with nobody to untie you 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! Not for me. I have no balance function on my right side. I have to ficus walking. Or down I go! Never really get hurt though by body has that one thing down!! Lol. The art of falling down?

• Like 2

• 5 years later...