BB surgery 3 weeks today

Janine6

Hi there,

I've already spoken to some of you before, but I notice there are also some new members discussing BB's which is great.

I now have my surgery date - 8th April (3 weeks today!). I am still a little scared and hoping I'm doing the right thing. My wedding is on 8th June, so I'm hoping I will have recovered sufficiently by then. Can anyone comment on how long it took them to recover post-op?

I am having my BB switched on the same day as my operation, so I can't wait to be able to hear in stereo again.

Thanks for listening,

Janine

Hi again, Janine,

My operation was on January 11, and it is now March 19 - 2 months and one week after the operation. This would be just about the same period of time as the time between your operation and the wedding.

My recovery is almost 100%. The numbness around my ear is gone, and I can hardly feel anything where just a few weeks ago, everything still felt tender.

Hi Janine!

Congratulations to the wedding.

Healing time chould not be a problem for you.

But using the Amade reciver from day one seems pretty extreme to me.

Here a picture of my "cut" 2 weeks after surgery.

greetings from Sweden

post-2624-1430259880439_thumb.jpg

Hello again Regula - is your 'cut' the same length as Fredriks? I hadn't realised it would be quite so big! Did you have a lot of hair shaved off? I have long hair and am a little worried about how much will go.

Hi Fredrik - thanks for sharing your picture with us! Wow, I think I may be even more scared now! Smile I had a really quick recovery from my previous ear surgeries, but they were all inside the ear canal so there was no change to my appearance - this looks a lot different. A few people seem to be amazed that I am having a same-day activation, but I am only doing what my surgeon suggested - I'll let you know how it goes.

Janine

Hi Janine!

Here comes 2 fictures of today. The scar has healed to a very nice pink line only.

You could not worry about not picking up noice with the BB Amade´ reciver.  This reciver is a expert of picking up all sort of noice.

But low frekvenses it can´t pick upp, under 400 hertz it doesn´n deliver much.

Best regards Fredrik

post-2624-14302598808775_thumb.jpg

post-2624-14302598812266_thumb.jpg

Hi Janine,

The cut for my implant was just about the same in terms of length, but it was positioned differently.

When I looked at Frederik's picture, I realized that there are different ways to do the operation. The doctors used the scan to plan where to cut, and where to position the implant, and I remember them now telling me that everything would fit nicely, and that they could do the cut in a pleasing manner.

The cut starts right behind my ear, follows the fold of the ear (which of course is a good solution cosmetically), and then goes up some.

Since the cut was done so close to my ear, this would also explain why my ear felt so numb and tender for a while.

There was hardly any hair shaved off. The hair that was left around the scar covers everything nicely, and I have short hair. I expect your long hair will cover the scar of the operation well.
On the second pic, I'm wearing the sound processor. Basically, all you can see is the nylon thread which I use to attach the soundprocessor to a strand of hair in case I knock it off accidentally.

Looking at the pics, I realize it's time to go to the hairdresser's... and here's a last pointer: enlist your hairdresser for help on what to do with your hair post-op. Mine had some good ideas and was more than willing to help.

And, don't worry too much about healing and looks in the short term. The benefits of better hearing are greater than any inconveniences you may run into now.

I wish you all the best for your operation, and your recovery,

kind regards

Regula

post-1179-14302598816244_thumb.jpg

post-1179-1430259881837_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fredrik and Regula for sharing your photographs - it's lovely to see how well the scars have healed, I'm amazed. I must try and remember to take a photograph of my ear too after my operation. I can't believe it is only 6 days away.

The only reason I was worried about the cosmetic appearance was because I obviously want to look nice on my wedding day, but I'll have 2 months to heal so hopefully it will look ok by then.

I have bought some brown coloured dry shampoo (you spray it on your roots to cover the grey!) for the post-op recovery period. I'm not sure how long it will be before I can wash my hair again or have it coloured.

I feel rather strange at the moment because I've been looking forward to the operation for so long yet I've acclimatised to having reduced hearing again. The thought of having so much skull removed is worrying, but I'm sure I have made the right decision. Time will tell!

• HearPeers Heroes

That is one thing I have noticed after seeing many different pictures of folks post surgery. All of the incisions looked different. Different lengths, different location. I think Regula nailed it. Each doctor uses a little different technique but a lot depends on the patients anatomy. I had a CI and the incision with my surgeon was not ver big. I'll try to post a pic.

Adam

post-48-14302598820467_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

the picture posted. That was taken actually the day after surgery when they took that compression thing off.

Hi Janine,

Just a quick note to send you my best wishes for your operation on April 8 and a speedy recovery afterwards!

Hye,

I would like to know if you stay at hospital for the operation ? How many days ? Can you work after, or you must stay home, and how many days ?

Can you also sleep on the side of BB or not ? Do you feel it ?

I hope you will understand, my english is not very good.

Thank you.

Thanks for the kind wishes Regula and thanks too for sharing your photo Adam. Hello Aurelie!

It looks like my account was hacked too - there is a message within this topic that I didn't write :-( I hope this gets sorted out.

Well, the time has come. I am due to have my operation in the morning. I'm both scared and excited (mainly scared!). I'll try to give you a post-op update as soon as I feel up to it. I'm due to come home from hospital tomorrow afternoon/evening after I've been 'switched on'. The thought of being able to hear again in less than 1 day is quite exciting, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I have 2 weeks off work so if nothing else I will enjoy putting my feet up for a while and reading books!

Hope to speak to you all again soon!

Janine

Hello Aurélie,

I also stayed overnight and was released from Hospital the next morning.

Here in Zurich, they also tell you to stay home for 2 weeks.

It took about six weeks for me until I began sleeping again on the side where I had the operation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmmm....

Something is wrong - very wrong. For instance, FRegula - your last post is not sam in the topic and when you read it as a title of the theme.

:(

• HearPeers Heroes

Hye,

I would like to know if you stay at hospital for the operation ? How many days ? Can you work after, or you must stay home, and how many days ?

Thank you.

Bon jour! :)

One + a non-english speaker in the topic. I am from Croatia and I can understand you very well. I am still not implanted so I can not answer your question from my own experience. Theoretically, it should not move because a device is fixed with titanium screws.  But, process of osseointegration - bone reaction to drill is additional element. Recepient should not feel it because most of device is actually drilled in to the bone and fixed. After that, it is covered up with subcutaneous tissue and fascia. What you may feel is swelling after tissue is cut but this is understandable because tissue need some time to repair itself.

Hye,

Thank you.

Hi thereSmile

I stayed at hospital 36 hours.  I was anesthetized for 5.5 hours.  Stayed home for 3 weeks (have a dirty job).

Maybe slept on the BB side after 7-10 days.  Yes its quite a " bumb" where  you attach the reciver.

But where the screwd "coil" is ´there is no trace or feeleng from the outside. Have you seen my photos?

/Fredrik

Hye,

Thank you all for the details. I have a thought now for Janine, I hope it will be a success for you. I've seen your photos Fredrik, thank you too. I feel like Janine, excited and scared, I did'nt think it was a so big scar, and a so big external processor !

I have also some exams to make before deciding in may.

Best regards.

Hi Janine! I know I'm new to the conversation, but thought it's kind of funny I started reading this thread today of all days, the very day of your surgery... So I'm sending some happy thoughts your way and hope everything went well. Also looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

Miriam, mom to Linnea w bilateral CI's :)

Hi all!

finally after so long time I have found this very interesting forum on Bonebridge, your contribution is very helpfull on how one feels with this implant.

Next wednsday I will know if I'm a candidate for the Bonebridge, I hope so because I'm for the Baha (and before the last surgery I was for the VSB). However I would like to know If you have had the chance to choose among the Bonebridge and other devices as Baha or Ponto which have alomost the same functions but the implant in the head is much more smaller (just a screw), and they have interfaces in order to listen MP3 and mobile phone too, so I have the following questions:

1)A part the free abutment device, why a person has to choose the Bonebridge?

2) When you pass your hand where the implant is, do you feel something?

3) Is the Bonebridge working forever or is like the Ponto or Baha which life is 6-8 years?

4) After last surgery my right ear canal has been closed with abdominal fat, so if usually a liquid goes out from ear canal after the Bonebridge surgery in my case I'm a bit scared that this liquid cannot get out....

Thanks for reading.

Best regards.

Gianfranco

Hi Gianfranco, pleased you could join us!

The BB appealed to me because of the cosmetic appearance - there is nothing sticking out of the head permanently and the audio device can be worn underneath the hair.

As far as I am aware, the internal part lasts a lifetime and the audio device can be upgraded as technology improves.

I am only 1 week post surgery but am surprised at how much of the implant I can feel - I'm sure I can feel the screws and each part of the implant, but that might be due to swelling so I don't know how it will be long term.

I don't think that liquid coming out of the ear canal is common - I have some kind of 'wound' in my ear canal (must be from the surgery) that is allowing blood and liquid to seep out - other people report that their liquid discharge goes down the back of the throat or out of the nose.

I wish you all the best for your appointment next Wednesday - let's hope it is a suitable solution for you too.

Janine

Hi Janine,

thanks for your feedback, however yesterday I have been told that I'm not a candidate for Bonebridge :(.....I think I'll have a Ponto or Baha.

I saw your pictures, after one week your wound is almost disappeared....it's incredible! :)

Take care.

Gianfranco

That's a shame Gianfranco, hope you are not too disappointed. I'm sure the most appropriate hearing devise has been recommended for you and hopefully that will work for you. Good luck with whichever of the two options you choose.

Janine

Hi Zee. My switch on was supposed to be the same day as the operation but one of the screws went into an air pocket so the surgeon recommended waiting 4 weeks to ensure it had fused properly with the bone. Then my audiologist is on holiday, so switch on is planned for 21st May. Seems ages away, but I still have a lot of swelling so I'd like to see if this goes down first.

Mine's going to be on the 27th. I'm so excited!

Btw, I just noticed this now as I was running my hand on the area where the implant's supposed to be. It's like half of a golf ball sticking out of my head. I didn't think it was this big before. How's yours like?