BB surgery 3 weeks today

Janine6

• HearPeers Heroes

Zee, please be sure to let us know how your activation goes. Just a week away!! :o)

Hi Zee. Yes, half a golf ball is exactly how I'd describe mine (or maybe three quarters of a golf ball!). I really wasn't expecting it to stick out so much - I thought it would lie flush against my head - or maybe this is just temporary whilst the swelling goes down?? I really don't know, but hope it goes flat. Mine feels very close behind my ear too - does yours? For some reason I thought it would be further back along my the side of my head. I assume the 'golf ball' bit is the circular bit of the implant where the audio processor will stick on? In which case I think mine may be touching my ear Undecided

Hi janine and Zee!

I can feel mine, but it doesn´t stick out that much. Maybee 2-3 mm.

The coil that transfers the sound to the earshell I dont feel at all. It´s buired deep down in the skullbone.

/Fredrik

Hey Janine and Frederik. I'm talking about the circular part. It's bulging but not at all noticeable even if i tie my hair up - which is what i do all the time to keep it away from the stitches. I can also feel the cord/coil thing that attaches to the vibrating thing. I don't think mine's too close to the ear. It's about two fingers width from the top of my ear towards the back. Just like the ones on the brochure photos.

BY the way, is your implanted ear sticking out? Mine is. I hope it goes back to its normal position soon.

That's interesting, I can feel the circular bit on mine (where the bulge is on my head) and it above my ear and behind it but only by a tiny bit - I can touch it easily with the top of my ear. I was hoping the processor would sit further back than that. Yes Zee, my ear has moved slightly too and I'm hoping it will go back! It sticks out more and when I put sunglasses on they are not straight Surprised

• HearPeers Heroes

I can remember thinking HOLY COW thats big after I was implanted. it takes about 6 months on avg. for the swelling to go down completley. I can see the bump now but it is tiny compared to after surgery. I shave the sides of my head (have flat top haircut) so it is easier to pick out.

I think the placement of the implant depends a lot on the anatomy of the person being implanted.

Thanks Adam, that's reassuring! It's all a bit scary when you don't know what to expect.

• HearPeers Heroes

Janine,

agreed, obviously the doctors cant think of every little detail to remind you of but any questions I had were answered straight away.

your activation will be here before ya know it. Excited for you.

Janine, hi!

Just a thought, with the implant so close to the outher ear. I hope not you gonna have problem wearing/puting on sunglasses/glasses without by poking of the reciver  when you wear it, ok.

There is also an  explanation  why mine is further away fom teh outher ear. First of all, as Adam spoke, the anatomy of the skull, then for the second, I hade a wish for my surgeon. Because I use ear protection, muffs, at my job so much and I didn´t want any trouble wearing them for the implant sake.

/Fredrik

I've been feeling some twitching below the ear on the implanted side. It gets worse after a long day at work - i'm an operating room nurse. I went to the doctor and he said i may have neuralgia and prescribed pregabalin tablets. But i think it's just from stress. April and May is the busiest months in the o.r. and i work 8 hrs/day but sometimes as long as 12-16 hrs. That's when I get the attacks. I hope this goes away soon

. I feel like i'm the only one who's having so many problems post op. :'(

• HearPeers Heroes

Zee,

I actually suffered from Neuralgia for a while, not CI related. It was pretty annoying so I can understand your frustration. i tend to have the same luck in that if it is gonna go wronfg it will. If i had a penny every time a doctor said, "adam this is unusual", I'd be able to retire. LOL

I am sure there are some meds to help until things settle down for you. For me I had to get shots. luckily it did not last to long.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

hitting all those speedbumps is never fun and can be very frustrating. you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. Keep on fighting and know that you have a comunity here to reach out to even just to vent. have a great rest of the week.

Thanks Adam, I'm excited too. I'll feel better when I go back to see the surgeon and he will (hopefully) reassure me that all the lumps and bumps I can feel are normal and that my head isn't rejecting the implant which is how it feels. Unfortunately my post-op appointment was deferred for 2 weeks as my consultant is speaking at a conference in the Middle East!

Yes Fredrik, that's a good point. I won't be able to wear sunglasses until this huge bump has gone down - that might pose a problem this summer!

• HearPeers Heroes

thats the tough part of having a really good doctor. they always have to travel out of town to speak. My neurosurgeon is the same way.  Keep us posted on how things are going.