Sleeping after Activation

Peter JR

Hi All,

After recovering from surgery our daughter had her implant activation on Tuesday this week (10th). She has since woken up and night each night and refused to get back in bed, does anyone have any experience in children's behaviour post implants? It would be good to get opinions and find out whether this is simply the actions of a 3 year old and unrelated..

Many thanks,

Pete

• HearPeers Heroes

After activation when I removed the processor at night, I heard strange and bizarre tinnitus.  That happened after new MAPs too until my auditory system settled down.  If that is happening to your daughter, it may make her feel uneasy.  It was a temporary experience for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hard to say - does she say anything about it? Can you ask her directly - children usually know to describe in their own words the episode which is happening to them...

• HearPeers Heroes

Peter

it could be tinnitus, she could also still be sore on the incision site

that said, I would touch base with her doctor and let them know what she is doing. They know her health history best and should help you figure things out. Please let us know how she is doing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sometimes when I support the head toward the side where is located the implant, I suffer dizziness. I cannot get up. I can only look up or lean to the other side for a few minutes until the dizziness passes. Perhaps something similar is happening your daughter and she don't know how explain it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin 

that is not a typical reaction. I would touch base with your audiologist and surgical team to let them know what problems you are experiencing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin,

I agree with Adam.  I would contact my surgical team.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have had my implant for one year. I still cannot sleep on that side. If I do pressure builds up and it feels like an infection. Luckily last time I did fall asleep on that side it wee r away almost immediately after I turned over. I have mentioned it to my audiologist she didn't say much other than some people never sleep on an implanted side again. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't heard of that problem so far out from surgery. If you prefer sleeping on that side, you can buy a ring pillow. It is a foam material which is round with a hole in the middle. Looks like a donut.

when you lay your head on it, position the implant in the center of the ring so it isn't touching anything. I used one right after my surgery and it worked great. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Adam. Mary Beth has mentioned it before. I just sleep on the other side and my back. Works ok for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Adam. Mary Beth has mentioned it before. I just sleep on the other side and my back. Works ok for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

sounds good Kara. Couldn't remember if it was mentioned or not