Looking for References

Tatyana Zlotsky

My name is Tatyana and my mother is scheduled to get Me-Del cochlear implant in a few weeks.   I was hoping to speak with some folks who have recently had the procedure for advice and feedback.  Mom is 59, has 12% hearing and is doing one ear to see how it goes.  She is very nervous and so am I :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Where are you located?  You can reach out to Med-El to be put in contact with users.

Hi Mary Beth, thank you for your reply.  We are in NYC - who can I reach out to Med-El?  Thanks again 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tatyana,

I live 5 hours from NYC but my CI center is in NYC.  Small world.

Call Med-El USA and ask for the contact information for your COM (Consumer Outreach Manager).  I believe it is Gina Grecco.  You may also ask to speak with Amanda Curtis (at the Med-El USA number) and she can help you.

Feel free to post questions here and get support from all over.

• HearPeers Heroes

This community here has folks at all different stages of their hearing journey. I believe all would be happy to share their experience to give your mom and yourself some peace of mind. As Marybeth said, feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. 

I have 2 CIs but got them at different times. It's called bilateral sequential. 

Adam

Hi.  Before my first implant surgery, I was deaf in my right ear (born deaf) and had no more than 10% of my hearing left in my left ear.  I had my right ear implanted to see how it would work for me - and it (within a year) became my dominant ear.  I had it implanted in January 2015.  Last June, I moved forward and had my left ear implanted.  Now, six months since Activation Day (my hearing - both together) is basically "normal" hearing now - I hear far better now than I have ever heard before!  I hope your mother's journey is a success.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think this is why hearpeers is so helpful. It makes a big difference when you can talk to somebody who has walked in your shoes and understands

• HearPeers Heroes

Not only that but to ask questions and FIND the answers.