One year later…..And Round 2!

R.J.

Hello Everyone! Haven't been as active in this forum as I thought. But I have some updates!

Got my left ear implanted on December 31, 2021 and my processor (Sonnet 2) a few weeks later. The surgery itself was a breeze, just took it easy for a month. Didn't have any major complications, just a little vertigo bending down, a little pressure in my ear, and a loss of taste for a couple of weeks.

After I got my processor…..wow! That first day was overwhelming, maybe because it was louder than needed. But the results…….astronomical. My hearing tests from 2 weeks after I got my processor to 3 months later went from 3% speech recognition, to 82% to 89%! My hearing is now in the normal range!

At my 6 month follow up with the surgeon, he asked if I was ready for the second one. I said "Heck, yeah!" LOL. Got implanted November 1, 2022 and my processor the last week of that November. Surgery this second round was a breeze. The only complication I dealt with (and am still dealing with :-() is that I can't taste salt. The surgeon mentioned swelling around the nerves and it should eventually come back.

Technology wise for these externally parts….I think Medel can do better. A lot better. I'm currently waiting on audiologist appointment for my second processor because I broke the mic cover…….again. This is the second time in 2-3 months after only taking off the battery cover. I'm also waiting on another AudioStream. Love the way they work together when listening to music. But the very first Audiostream eventually got to the point where sometimes it connects, sometimes it does. I'll have the new one as back up; I have 3 total. The other thing I don't like about the AudioStream is the way it goes into 'standby mode' after inactivity. The Audiolink is….okay. I hate the lingering static; I think this is only if I connect to computer via bluetooth. The Artone Max is the only thing that's been reliable.

Overall I'm happy with my decision to get implanted…..both times. I'm also happy I waited after being told 15-20 years ago I was a candidate for the surgery. Medicine and technology is constantly improving and evolving.

Well….that's all for now! 🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @R.J. on going bilateral.  Hearing with two balanced  ears is amazing!

We need to be careful not to put any pressure on the sides of the Sonnet2/Sonnet near the mic cover. I use the inner curve of the hook.

Enjoy your amazing hearing.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Congratulations @R.J. on going bilateral.  Hearing with two balanced  ears is amazing!

We need to be careful not to put any pressure on the sides of the Sonnet2/Sonnet near the mic cover. I use the inner curve of the hook.

Enjoy your amazing hearing.

Thanks! It is amazing! And I discovered that trick after I broke it the second time.

• Like 2