Rondo 1 DIY Repair?

AliU83

Hello Rondo 1 Users!

I currently have the Sonnet and the Rondo 1, I am waiting for my upgrade for a Rondo 3 to process and replace my old Rondo, which Med El stopped servicing repairs for at the end of 2022. Just as luck had it, right as I went to submit my upgrade (which takes a few months), my Rondo 1 suddenly stopped working. I am okay using my Sonnet, but hate using it for exercising and also do not like having a back up.

The error lighting sequence indicates that there is a "technical malfunction." The manual states to turn it on and off (which doesn't work). Replacing the batteries doesn't work. I brought it to my Audiologist, who had no luck in getting it to work. Since there are no parts, there is really nothing to try to replace. 

If anyone has any DIY repair advice on the Rondo 1, please let me know. Since it is not being serviced, does not work, and I have an upgrade pending, I have nothing to lose by fiddling with it. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

I am not a DIY repair fan but have the battery contacts been cleaned with alcohol? And have you tried putting pressure on the battery cover to see if that is the problem?

@Mary BethI did try to clean the battery contacts with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip-but very, very lightly. This was before my Audiologist took a look. I am willing to be more liberal with it now that I know it's just collecting dust.

I did not try putting pressure on the battery cover-will do. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

My Rondo 1 processors have been so reliable.  The only time one stopped working was when the battery compartment kind of warped a bit which didn’t put enough pressure on the batteries or let them connect correctly.  I knew it was that one battery cover because if I used the battery cover from my other side everything worked fine.

@Mary Beth Ah, smart. I only have one Rondo, so it's hard to test. But, easy enough to hold it closed and try to turn it on. Mine has been reliable too, up till now. 5 years later. It broke a month after it was no longer going to be serviced, bad timing! I am excited for the Rondo 3, but hate not having the Rondo 1 for certain activities. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

I bet you miss it.  Hopefully your Rondo 3 gets approved and shipped soon.

My Rondo 1 processors are almost 8 years old.  Love them in waterwear.  I stocked up on waterwear covers before Med-El US stopped selling them.  Fingers crossed they last a lot longer.  Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

By any chance did your Rondo 1 kit include the mini battery pack option to power the Rondo 1?  If not, does your CI center have one you can test out?  That would let you know if it is a battery pack issue perhaps.