Meludia question

Scoots

Hello everyone,

I’m using the Meludia app with Audiostream and I’m wondering if anyone is having the same experience as me or if my experience is normal. I just got activated 2 weeks ago so I’m pretty early in my rehab. I can’t get more than 1 star even in the very first level. Both tones they use in the first level sound exactly the same to me. Even in other levels a lot of the notes might sound a little different but a lot of times I can’t tell them apart. Is this normal and, if so, is there some point where suddenly they sound separate and distinct?  

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations on activation @Scoots

Yes totally normal.  At first all keys on the piano sounded the same to me.  Now I can differentiate notes that are neighbors.  It just takes time.

Since you are so early in your journey I would suggest you just stick with the rhythm exercises on Meludia for now and focus on speech apps/activities.  You will find a lot of suggestions in our rehab topic.

• HearPeers Heroes

And if you are interested in joining our GoogleMeet on January 29th (automatic captions) just follow this link and respond.  @Tim is joining in and is just getting activated so you two will be on a similar journey.

• Members

Welcome @Scoots

Mary Beth is right - I'm just a little behind you - I'm getting activated on the 26th for my SSD! Are you SSD or deaf on both sides?  Feel free to post in Introduce Yourself

Did both of you get Meludia subscriptions or use the in-app purchase?  Med-El's partnership with Meludia doesn't cover the US.  I can't find their in-app purchase prices for Android from the store.  I don't have a background in music but it sounds like a way of learning a little about music while doing rehab.

I'll be setting up my alarm for Sunday morning for the Google Meet next weekend!

Tim

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

The web based Meludia program is much much better than their app version.

• Like 2

@Tim

Hi Tim. I have profound hearing loss in both ears and got implanted on my left side. What about you?
I actually didn’t know Meludia had anything other than the app and it sounds like the desktop site is much better. I haven’t liked the app much at all yet. 

• Members

Hi Scoots,

I'm SSD and will be getting my implant on the left side activated on Thursday. I started losing hearing over a dozen years ago in my bad ear.  Lucky to still have one good ear.  Tried getting a CI 6 years ago but insurance repeatedly rejected it.  I settled for a bone conduction device and it gave very limited benefit.  Between FDA approval of CI for SSD and worsening hearing, I was able to Glad to finally be going down the CI path.

Looking at videos for Meludia it seems to be targeted for teaching music - as a teaching supplement or for self-learners.  Nothing linked directly from their main web page about audio rehab but I can see how it could be helpful for that. Digging deeper, I see Meludia feature testimonials from CI users and a research study on its benefits with Med-El recipients.

I never studied music theory and would be surprised if I even made it through 0.1% of their content.  Would be curious if other people without music backgrounds have found it helpful. 

Tim

Interested to know if MedEl collects data from Meludia to use for research and development

* Not expecting direct answer but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.  * I'd be more than willing to share what I'm experiencing if the info can be used to make our CI music experience better. And also I'm pretty curious about what other recipients are experiencing.  

I remember someone in another platform said his kid wants to learn how to play music after getting a CI and the teacher told him that the kid could discriminate notes in the long run but chords are beyond CI capabilities.  

I can certainly differentiate between chords when I play it on my guitar 🎸 BUT I certainly am having a hard time identifying a cluster of notes from a single note when played on meludia through my phone.  Even if I get some right, I can't get them all correct.  At this point I'm not sure I ever will, regardless the amount of time I replay it. 

• Members

I haven't tried Meludia yet.  I did the very basic music exercises in Hearoes and want to wait to add that on my plate. Especially being in the US, I don't the free one year of Meludia from MedEl.  (Not complaining, they do a lot of handholding like MedEl Monday meetings and 1:1 Zoom help sessions!

I will say I was surprised tonight when I opened up Spotify and found that a lot of music has time synced lyrics like in Karaoke so I could make the words in the songs!  It was hard and certainly not good enough to really enjoy on its own yet but nice to be able to follow the vocals and beat.  I didn't think I would get to that for a week or two.

Everything is getting a little better day by day and hoping to see a good improvement tomorrow in my first Audi followup after activation.

Tim

• Like 3

That's awesome @Tim

I love listening to Spotify and I do remember moments of discoveries with my CI when more sounds started coming in from different instruments the way I remembered.  

some instruments or notes are more difficult for me so I've made a playlist which I named Aural rehab and I pop those tracks in there to listen over and over and I think for many of them they started making sense but I really can't remember if these changes are associated with new map but I remember clearly playing something over and over and then after about five times it came through.  I have no clue how it happened but it did. 

I also add spectacular/ musically interesting covers for songs I already know to this list.  

I've never heard of Heroes.. I'll have to check it out.  

Hi guys...i used meludia for several months, along with angel sounds modules. I liked meludia because i just did lessons over and over until i concentrated so hard on trying to tell the differences i actually made progress. After a year i did not have good enough internet to do it often and unfortunately unsubscribed. So anyway i found after repeatedly doing lessons, spotify sounded so much better! 

Angel sounds music lessons are great too. I like when they compare your choice to correct choice. After combining music lessons and consonant/men/women/vowl lessons, i felt that the tone lessons really helped the word lessons.

At first i made so much improvement i would do all of melusia and angel sounds all categories in one day. Some times its as if doing a few games on hearoes gets tiring. I am retired so have plenty of time for rehab after activation.  It takes practice but man those wow moments!

• 1 month later...
On 21.1.2023 at 22:07, Scoots said:

Hallo an alle,

Ich verwende die Meludia-App mit Audiostream und frage mich, ob jemand die gleiche Erfahrung wie ich hat oder ob meine Erfahrung normal ist. Ich wurde erst vor 2 Wochen aktiviert, also bin ich ziemlich früh in meiner Reha. Mehr als 1 Stern bekomme ich nicht einmal im allerersten Level. Beide Töne, die sie im ersten Level verwenden, klingen für mich genau gleich. Sogar in anderen Levels klingen viele der Noten ein wenig anders, aber oft kann ich sie nicht auseinanderhalten. Ist das normal und wenn ja, gibt es einen Punkt, an dem sie plötzlich getrennt und deutlich klingen?  

Das ist bei mir genauso, am Anfang echt schwer, wird mit vielen üben besser. Alles Gute