Rehab and Headphones?

Hicksy

Sonnet user, about a month and a half post activation. I'm currently training using audiobooks. I have been using the neckloop but today I finally got around to trying headphones. What a revelation to hear the "normal" voice in my right ear that has a bit of hearing left and Mr. Robot in my left. I had no idea that there was more than one narrator although I easily follow the narration.

I don't see my audiologist for a few weeks and I'm wondering if it is beneficial or detrimental to have the "natural" sound playing at the same time to give the brain something to compare to, or better to force the brain to make the connections unaided? I do position the headphones in such a way that the implant is the dominant side.

Any opinions?

• HearPeers Heroes

Check with your audiologist as each audiologist has her/his preferred methods.

I trained my CI side solo for several hours everyday and went bimodal the rest of the time.  Basically, I was bimodal during work and CI solo at home mostly.  That worked for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

My audiologist did not want me to use any type of assistive tech for a while to make my brain work a little. When I went bilateral, she suggested I not use my other processor as much as I can so my other ear could work and catch up. As Mary Beth said, each Audi has their own preferred methods in rehab. One way isn't necessarily better than the other. Just different approaches

• HearPeers Heroes

I detect a great difference how brain works when you read caption and when you don't do it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Practicing auditory only is great for our brains.  Reading captions may be more enjoyable for pleasure.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

I did A LOT of auditory only. My rationale behind it was that the harder I worked early on, the quicker I would get up to speed. That might be flawed thinking but it seemed to work for me

Thanks for the replies. I've been keeping about 25% or less headphones and the rest telecoil. I do feel however that the headphone use resulted in a quicker adjustment from the too high squeaky robot voices to the perhaps too low, a little smoother voices now. I see my audiologist later this week so I'll get another opinion. And today is only 8 weeks since activation! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like you are moving along nicely Hicksy.

definitely go with your audis suggestion. As stated before, each one is a little different in their approach to rehab.