Disappointment with results

Doug Brainard

Like the previous note from the SSD patient I’ve had disappointing results with my Bonebridge implant. I am an SSD patient and  I have received no perceivable benefit from my implant after 6 months.  Restaurants and other social settings are still huge challenges with little satisfaction from the device.  I’m not sure of why and don’t receive real explanations or support from Med Al.  I’d be wary of this as a potential new patient  sitting with my wife in the car as a driver I hear no better than without the device.

• 9 months later...

What kind of hearing loss do you have? Sensorineural or conductive?

Not gonna lie, I have had the opposite experience in basically every regard. I have conductive hearing loss on one side and I am very satisfied with the Samba 2, especially in noisy environments. The Samba 1 was OK in places like restaurants but the 2 is very good at picking out whoever you're looking at and talking to even in a big crowd.

Same with driving. With the Samba 1, I couldn't turn my radio up too loud cuz the road noise would go up as well, but the Samba 2 filters out road noise effectively even with music. 

• 3 months later...

Im curious to hear more about your experiences. 
I'm also SSD (right side) and currently have a Osia2 implant but am set to have it removed in about a week, and replaced with a Bonebridge 602.
I chalked up the dissatisfactory performance from the piezo-electric transducer in the Osia200 not being very good at reproducing enough of the audible spectrum. That combined with the poor microphone array on the sound processor made it a lackluster experience. 

I will report back with my direct comparison and findings. 

• 3 weeks later...

Screenshot_20240310-015448.thumb.png.8c2e246ae59ddab0ac2094fff8980403.png

It isn't 100% necessary, because the universal algorithm is pretty good at swapping for different environments (and I only had the one program for about 1.5 years), but I would definitely ask your audiologist to load the "Noisy Environment" and "Reverberant Room" programs to your Samba.

They both make a noticeable difference in bar/restaurant settings or say, a speaker giving a presentation or church sermon, and you just swap them with the phone app. For me, without the hearing aid (cuz I'm also mildly deaf in my left ear) restaurants are hopeless. But with it, I have no problem. 👍