My personal presentation

Alessandro Casale

Goodmorning everyone.:)
I am a new member and I have been implanted recently with Medel, activation on 1 'March. I'm very excited and I would like share your experiences.
My name is Alessandro and I live in Italy.
I found this forum through the website of Medel, I also read a few topics and are really interesting.
I hope to write soon.
Best wishes

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers!! It's nice. To see new people here! I have been implanted for a year and a few months. It has changed my lif drastically!! I can now talk on the phone and listen to music. I don't have to ask everyone to repeat themselves all the time. I don't tend to be as isolated now that I can understand what most people are saying. So we wish you the best of luck next week on your activation!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Alessandro.  We traveled around Italy a few years ago and are still talking about the beautiful people and delicious food!  The time between surgery and activation can seem long.  You are almost there.

I received my right implant in February 2015 (activated March 2015) and my left CI eight months later.  They are amazing!  Yesterday I realized that my cat snores!  Smile.  I enjoy listening to music, talking on the phone, listening to concerts and shows, podcasts, audiobooks, family game nights, ....... the list is endless.  Sounds of nature, birds, ocean waves, wind.  It's just amazing.  I have become addicted to sound.

When I was activated (both times) I did not understand any speech at all.  My right ear heard beeps and static.  My left ear heard mostly silence and very quiet marimba.  Just know that activation is your starting point and it does not indicate how well you will hear with your implant over time.  Things changed rapidly for me.  I returned to playing the piano this summer and am having so much fun creating music again.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey.  I benefitted from aural rehab training everyday.  Know that this journey is unique to each user and you will experience some bumps along the way most likely.  Most of us do.  They are temporary.  Keep detailed notes of what sounds good and what sounds bad and bring those notes to your appointments with your audiologist.

Welcome to the group.

• HearPeers Heroes

Benvenuto, Alessandro. Piacere di conoscerti. Like Kara said, my life also was changed drastically with implants. At activation the results for each of my implants came at the different pace, but in a quite short time after that I can enjoy environmental sounds I had no idea exist. The conversations are not a challenge for me anymore. I got my pleasure of listening to music back. And I am pretty good now with a phone. Wish you the best on Wednesday. It will be great if you chare your experience at activation with us. It is always exciting to hear about other people' journey. Spero di risentirti presto.

PS. Sorry for my Italian. I just started to get acquainted with it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers!!! 

I am bilaterally implanted so I have a CI in each ear. I have had them for 5 years. I did not get them at the same time as my hospital does not do bilateral surgeries. 

Waiting for activation was nerve wracking as I was not sure what to expect and it seemed like the day of activation would never get here. 

Remember that the day of activation is just a starting point. My surgeon told me that he had some people walk into the hallway right after being activated and they used the phone. That for sure was not me. He also told me that some people it took a little longer for their brains to catch up. 

Not everyone will have the same activation or progression. Both of my activations were different as well. 

You will improve as you go along. Try to celebrate the victories and new sounds you hear as you will have many. You do need to be patient and be willing to do the work. Kind of like a muscle, the only way it will get stronger is if you make it work.  There are plenty of things you can do to practice. I'm sure all of us can share some tips as well. 

We are looking forward to getting to know you better and congratulate you on your new hearing journey. Feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. 

Ci sentiamo presto

Adam

Thank you all for your advices and warm greetings. I'm happy to talk to you.
My story is very complicated and will tell it to another topic. In summary, I have already been implanted in 1997 in right ear with the Clarion and I have not felt good.
After a long reflection I decided to have surgery in the left ear with Medel. If all goes well I will also replanting in right ear with another Medel.

I'm very excited to know how I will hear at the activation on March 1. I know it's very hard and difficult but thanks to previous experience I know how to deal with things.

I am very curious to hear the differences between the old IC Clarion and the new Medel. In any case I will never more use the Clarion because it has too many problems.

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand me.

Again thank you and see you soon.

Ale

• HearPeers Heroes

I am curious to hear your thoughts on the 2 differences. 

Dont worry at all about your English. English is my native language and I'm sure I drive Mary Beth crazy as she is a teacher :)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, I am a very understanding teacher.  Smile.

Alessandro, Your English is way better than our attempts at Italian.  Smile.  No need to be concerned.

Very interesting indeed.  I can't wait to read about your experiences once you are activated.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way, you are the second person who has one Med-El and one AB CI that I know of.  The other person is active in the FaceBook group called

Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group

Search for it and ask to join.

The other person said she can't wait for her AB to fail so she can replace it with a Med-El.  It must be interesting wearing two different brands since they process sound differently.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,  

My students are fascinated with my CIs.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sharing my experiences to help others, you bet. True passion of mine. 

Me a good teacher? Meh.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam you were the first to answer my questions. So don't put yourself down!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Alessandro. You don't worry for your english. I'm spanish, the guys here understand us :-)

Interesting your journey in a user with two differents brands of CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Second in a row - I am your neighbour across the Adriatic sea - Croatia, Alessandro.[emoji6]

For a pretty long time, I was fascinated by the fact that our neighbours don't have separate greeting for morning and day, so - in both cases, it's - Buongiorno. [emoji4]

However, although I am the Bonebridge implantee, I would be extremely interesting: how the activation passed by, but also - a comparison between these 2 models taking into account that there the implantations took a place 20 years between.

Good luck! [emoji6]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes
Sharing my experiences to help others, you bet. True passion of mine. 
Me a good teacher? Meh.

Adam, you are naturally talented motivator - this fact hooked me to this forum, I even got a strong desire to start my professional grow-up in the field of sound perception of people with CI.
This is extremely fascinating when we take into account - it's Majesty: The Brain and its ability to acquire its astonishing capability of individual adaptation due to the process of neuroplasticity.

But, of course - I will never forget your incentive and encouragement to explore my research of newly developed skill, a search for clarity and understanding in total.

• HearPeers Heroes
Adam,  

My students are fascinated with my CIs.

MB, You literally fascinated me by your quest for persisting improvement within all fields: technical details, equipment, rehabilitation process, your commitment regarding the understanding of the matter...
Awhhhh....[emoji3]

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

You are too kind my friend.  Looking forward to a time when our paths cross.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana, that means a lot. 

You taking that step will help so many people! Your influence has only scratched the surface. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

You are right Ivana, Mary Beth is a total Rockstar!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
Thanks Ivana, that means a lot. 
You taking that step will help so many people! Your influence has only scratched the surface. 

Long and hard way, but as time passes by my satisfaction with what I encounter on my way or I can do - just raise. You know that feeling when people put their thumbs in a way of special support. That makes me proud and gives me a strength to continue my efforts. I am just in a middle if that cycle where I KNOW what should be done...[emoji6]