Hi Everyone

Scoots

Hello,

My name is Scott and I was implanted on my left side with a Synchrony 2 on Dec 5 and activated with a Sonnet 2 on January 4th.  I have a Rondo 3 as well but haven't really used it much yet.  I'm 43 and have had profound hearing loss in both ears since I was 12 years old.  I had hearing aids throughout my life but rarely wore them because I didn't find they helped me understand speech any better. It was really frustrating and I saw multiple audiologists but it wasn't until about a year or 2 ago an audiologist finally recommended I look into a cochlear implant.  I never even considered it as I wasn't really educated on them and didn't know there was an alternative to hearing aids I could look into.

I wish I could say everything is awesome but I can certainly tell I'm not going to be one of the people that suddenly hears well and gets the benefits right off the bat.  I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and this will probably take a long time.  

I'm happy to have this forum as it's already answered a few questions for me while I look through past posts and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Scoots

Hi Scott

Everyone’s CI journey is unique and some journeys start off slower than others.  But as someone who only heard static and beeps at activation, I can tell you that aural rehab can help A LOT.

I was fortunate that I knew how to rehab a CI ear since I am a Teacher of the Deaf and have taken students with CIs through the aural rehab steps.  It was a new learning experience though being on the other side of the therapy table.  😊 

I will give you a link to how I trained my brain and what helped me the most.  Do you have someone that can practice aural rehab with you?

Wishing you the best.  And remember slow starts can end up being awesome CI ears.

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is one link @Scoots

It is available to download for free even though the pic above says unavailable for some reason