Cochlear implant day

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope everyone had a good one. As it turns out, a lady walked up to me in the store and wanted to know " what's going on with all that?" As she pointed to my processors. 

Good day to do some educating

• HearPeers Heroes

After all your posts Adam, I would conclude that Americans are very interesting people. I guess, I would never see this episode in Criatia.
Or at least, extremely hard...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes
After all your posts Adam, I would conclude that Americans are very interesting people. I guess, I would never see this episode in Croatia.
Or at least, extremely hard...

• HearPeers Heroes

Funny Ivana, I had the same thing happen at the gas station an hour ago. It turned out, a lady asked me about my processors. Her niece has a CI but she the aunt never met an adult with one. 

Very nice and educating conversation

• HearPeers Heroes

So what do you mean by very interesting?

• HearPeers Heroes

They ask a lot...? [emoji2]

• HearPeers Heroes

I had this happen on Friday. First time for me! With not one person but two at the same time!! One lady noticed my processor and said her grandson had on and asked how mine was working for me! We chatted and finished paying for groceries and the gentleman bagging also said he had a buddy that had one.  He worked with him twenty years ago!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool... [emoji41]

• HearPeers Heroes

Not everyone is so bold to ask. They just stare at me ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol Adam. You also don't have much hair so it's much mor enoticable woth the two processors. 

• HearPeers Heroes

That and the fact that I chose all white with a blue mic cover.

i don't want to hide them. Everybody might have a different take on this but this was my decision. You have to go with what is comfortable for you

i welcome the questions. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah me too! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ugh, staring is a favourite sport in my homeland...[emoji51]

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people where I live are more discreet about it as they are curious. I totally get that. 

The fact that I have many scars bumps and valleys on my head ( my barber just loves me ?) some people are pretty blatant and stare as if they saw a monster. 

It still bugs me a little as if they would just ask, I'd be glad to share. It isn't like they are going to catch anything. 

I prefer a flat top haircut down to the skin on sides and the back. If I were to grow my hair out just to hide the processors, then the people that are ignorant about CIs and don't have manners win. 

I decided I was not going to live my life like that. You can either take me for who I am, scars processors and all, or you can avoid me and still be uneducated about a pretty awesome technology. I will live my life on my terms, hopefully educating a few people along the way. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I had it happen in the grocery store at home so I explained it o the lady as she s a candidate for a CI.  I told her to email me with any questions and also gave her this site.  Adam I totally agree. I'm proud of my CI and take every opportunity to educate people!

Edited by Funnygirl
Spell check

• HearPeers Heroes

That is awesome funnygirl! I have met a few candidates out in public. Their main question is, what does it sound like and was it worth it?

i usually then have to explain that no two people have the same journey. 

Was it worth it? You better believe it!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course Adam, nobody would even think about an option where you should change the haircut you love.
I, first, can not change ny face - neither I would want that. It's me, and people who participate in my life is enough. Too many of superficial relationships make me wonder about the shallowness of life.

But, of course - lots of people are just shy to ask. I know that because when I started my residency, for a two years nobody knows for my hearing handiccape. Then happened Bonebridge and I started to realize that it wasn't the fact they didn't care - they just couldn't realize that's the problem. They immediately started to question all aspects of my life - then I realized the importance of building bridges between people which I have to learn how to do that. This started to fulfill me...[emoji3][emoji56]

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Ivana. 

I saw this saying which pretty much sums it up.

"My Scars tell a story.....They are reminders of when life tried to break me, but failed."

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great quote, like the other: scars remind us where we were, not where we're going out

• HearPeers Heroes
Great quote, like the other: scars remind us where we were, not where we're going on.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's an awesome quote! I'll remember that one!! Thanks Adam.