Hybrid Implant

laurencesanford

I have relatively normal hearing up to the mid range.  I am considering what has been called a 'Hybrid' implant to improve speech recognition by filling the the gaps above mid range.  I am looking for someone who has had this type of surgery and what their outcome was?  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome.  I am not sure if we have any Sonnet EAS (hybrid) users on here right now but there are several happy Sonnet EAS users active in the FaceBook group

Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lauren, I recently joined this group and would love to talk with you about my EAS experience. I have Sonnet EAS processors, which is the Med-El name for their hybrid processors. I was implanted with my first CI in 2010 as part of the clinical trial. The EAS was FDA approved in the US just recently. I am so excited that this is now available to everyone that may not have qualified or wanted to go for a traditional CI because of some residual hearing. That was me for a long time. Hope I can answer some questions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers! There are a bunch of very knowledgeable folks that hand out here. Looking forward to getting to know you

Adam

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 6:02 AM, Sherri said:

Hi Lauren, I recently joined this group and would love to talk with you about my EAS experience. I have Sonnet EAS processors, which is the Med-El name for their hybrid processors. I was implanted with my first CI in 2010 as part of the clinical trial. The EAS was FDA approved in the US just recently. I am so excited that this is now available to everyone that may not have qualified or wanted to go for a traditional CI because of some residual hearing. That was me for a long time. Hope I can answer some questions.

Hello Sherri

I am just now figuring out how to reply to your post.  Even though i have been approved for the implant(s), I am very nervous about losing my residual hearing.  I have pretty good hearing up to the mid-range then it falls off like a cliff.  My speech recognition is deteriorating as the years go by.  Can you share your experience?  Did you have some residual hearing before the implant?  Who was your surgeon in the clinical trials?  (i would like a second opinion).  Thank you for replying to my initial post!

It looks like i have been approved to receive an implant with the Sonnet EAS processor at Oregon Health & Science University.  I would like to get a second opinion - I am really worried about losing what residual hearing I have.  Can anyone recommend an audiologist / surgeon who has implanted a number of devices w/the EAS processor?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lauren,

That is exciting!  I will tag Sherri so she sees your questions above.

@Sherri

On the Med-El website under clinic finder you can search for CI centers that are doing the EAS.  That would give you contact information for the centers and you can call them for more information.

Although the Sonnet EAS is newly FDA approved in the US, preserving residual hearing has been a focus on CI surgery for longer than that.  Finding a surgeon with a good track record of preserving residual hearing is very important for EAS users.  It's good to seek other opinions and then make a decision you are comfortable with.

Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lauren and welcome to Hearpeers! Like Mary Beth said that most surgeons who do implants try to preserve the residual hearing as it can benefit the implantee in their final outcome. I thought I lost all of mine but there wasn't much anyway. It did come back after three months. Med el takes preservation very seriously as well. That's why they have the flex array electrodes. They're softer. 

On 4/16/2017 at 3:27 PM, Kara of Canada said:

Hi Lauren and welcome to Hearpeers! Like Mary Beth said that most surgeons who do implants try to preserve the residual hearing as it can benefit the implantee in their final outcome. I thought I lost all of mine but there wasn't much anyway. It did come back after three months. Med el takes preservation very seriously as well. That's why they have the flex array electrodes. They're softer. 

Kara

Are you satisfied with the results?  What is the biggest impact to your lifestyle with the implant?

• HearPeers Heroes

BEing able to hear well. Communication is so much better. Then being able to enjoy music again. Also using the phone again. Theses things I haven't done well for at least five years. I completely gave up music and the phone before my implant. It has made a huge difference for me. I am very satisfied with my current results. I find that hthere are always improvements happening though maybe not as much now but it took me a year to get where I am. Many months of continual progress.