Not Star Trek-Going where others have gone before

drobinson

I'm heading to the Hospital on April 2nd for my 1st installation. I'm getting a little nervous, but, I can't wait! Isolation sucks!

I appreciate all of your inputs here at Hear Peers as it makes me fell that I am not alone.  I have even watched the procedure(operation) on U tube. Pretty slick work.  I know that I will not be able to hear correctly for some time, but, all I have is time.  Patience, Practice and Perseverance is the key, from what I understand.

I own a small Professional Land Surveying business and I just  hope that I will not be laid up too long, because I still have bills to pay.  How long will it take before I can get out and about, without any trouble?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donald,

welcome to the community.

You wont be laid up for long hopefully. I was a bit unsteady on my feet for about 24 hours but after that I was back to normal. I didn't ride my motorbike for about two weeks but that was as much about discomfort with the helmet along with wanting to be sure my balance was OK.

Your chalk lines may be a bit wobbly for a day or two. Smile

That is if surveyors still use chalk lines??

Keep us informed on your progress and remember the three P's.

Matt

Hi Donald

It depends on each person and if you are having one or two implants.  I had two so was under anaesthetic for longer which ended up making my vision double, coupled with an anti-nausea patch which also affects vision.  So I could not read or drive for 12 days as I couldn't see the road signs very well.  My vision came right once the chemicals wore off.

I needed help for 24 hours after surgery, but then after that could walk fine but slowly and using the walls to start with and then after 5 days I was walking normally.  But there were moments when I would suddenly get imbalance. It's a matter of resting each day as you tire quickly.

I was quite perky in the morning and went shopping and visited people etc, but I slept most afternoons for two weeks - a combo of factors not just related to the operation though.  I also took painkillers, mainly at night as the implants can dig in and make the scalp tender. But this varies for each person.

A travel pillow can be helpful as it can support the head but not push the implants in when lying down.

I got switched on last week and it is totally worth it.  I still have some way to go, but definitely persevere, practice and patience Smile

All the best for your surgery

Karen

• HearPeers Heroes

Donald,

I was a little off for a couple of days then was able to get out and about ok. The biggest issue i had was sleeping as i usually slept on the same side as my first implant. Didnt get as restfull sleep as I did with the second one.

just relax and take it easy for a few days. I took the pain meds as well which helped. every person is different and you know your body better than anybody so just take your time and ease back into things.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how things went once you are up to it.

Well, what can I say?  Everything went well.  I am home and back to work! (Home-Office Work).  

All-in-all, I have not experienced much discomfort.  My knees were a little wobbly from being in bad too long.

My next appointment is on the 15th to remove the stitches.

So, Karen , you had both implants done at the same time.  I wanted to go that way but they told me I would be totally deaf for at least a month and then I would have to go through the 'learning phase' which may take some time.  So, I decided to take it one step at a time.  Hopefully, I'll be ready by July or September.

Thanks for all your comments.  I can't wait to get this thing activated on May 2nd.  Just want to get things moving along so I can go in for my other CI.

Don

Hi Donald,

Glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are back to work.  Please keep us updated!

Mike

Donald,

You should be able to go out in public, now with only a small inconspicuous bandage behind your ear. Yu may want to be very careful about spending too much time bent over. If you are using a transit or other tools, you should be fine! Please keep us posted on your progress.

John