March 2023 HearPeers GoogleMeet hosted by Mary Beth for Med-El CI users, families and those considering a Med-El CI

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Great meeting all!

Very good meeting, lots of great information. Sorry I had to drop early. I plan to join the next one :).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Heather W

great profile pic!  Glad it worked.

This link is about the sound processing strategies I mentioned.

I was activated in FS4.  After reaching a stable MAP, I asked for a program in FS4p to test out.  For me, it had too much bass.  So I have happily stayed with FS4.

https://silenceamidstsound.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/med-el-speech-processing-strategies-fsp-fs4-fs4-p/

• HearPeers Heroes

@AlexExpo

If you attend the next one, we will set you as agenda item #1.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

@Heather W

This link is about testing and setting Thresholds versus using the default of 10%.  But it is with children and Med-El’s recommended threshold default has changed to 8% I believe.

Scroll through to the graphs where tested thresholds had better results than default thresholds for this study.

https://cdn.ymaws.com/acialliance.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/CI2014_PPT/payne_sat_am.pdf

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

@Heather W

interesting data about setting thresholds manually instead of using defaults from a survey of CI audiologists

viewcontent.cgi?article=1208&context=dis

6EBC4814-58E2-4D96-81A4-0B9133B84154.jpeg

80E53A0F-8723-4F00-84C2-8E80A07177C0.jpeg

• Members

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I missed today's Google Meet. I was looking forward to hearing things like Andrew42's discussion about the Rondo 3 battery. I was busy traveling.  I had a tour of the factory but also got to meet with R&D engineers.  They didn't show or share anything particularly juicy but it was nice to share my experiences and desired new features for apps and processors.  I tried to convey what I could from the community here too.

Looking forward to the next monthly Meet!

Tim

One of our members suggested an app from, I believe, Elephant Candy and I thought called EQU. I am very interested to try this but I cannot find the app in the Apple store. Please would somebody be so kind as to tell the exact name of the app so I can locate and download it. Thank you very much.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

@Heather W

more info on testing and setting thresholds instead of using the default thresholds

(during my 8 years of having Med-El CIs the default thresholds have changed.  At first they were set at 0.  Then they were set at 10% of Most Comfortable Loudness levels.  Now they are set at 8% of Most Comfortable Loudness levels.)

The third parameter is the dynamic range which is defined between the THRs (highest undetectable stimulus levels), and the MCLs (Maximum Comfortable stimulus Levels). The maplaw function is ranged between these two points for each channel in the system. Of all the parameters considered for dynamics processing, accurate MCLs are the most critical in terms of the implant system delivering appropriate loudness cues, and therefore best performance. For most CI users, the THR parameter can be left at the default 8% of MCL, but in rarer cases, setting THRs accurately may be important.

@Andrew42 It appears that EQu is no longer available from the app store. (Yes, the company really is called Elephant Candy.) However, the Denon Audio app that is there has good reviews, a similar user interface and appears to do the same things.

Also, EQu can still be downloaded from these sources (which may or may not be safe):

https://iphonecake.com/app_403704212_.html

https://apprecs.com/ios/403704212/equ-the-quality-equalizer

Good luck!

Thank you, Roy, very much. I went into the appreccs.com website and found that the EQu app is not available in our part of the world. I will look at the Denon Audio app. Thks.

@Mary BethThank you for all your advice/papers on thresholds. I have copied them all and will discuss this whole issue with the audiologist when I meet him at the end of April.