Surgery tomorrow

Adam

I would say it took me about 5 months after surgery to get to the point where the ear returned to almost "normal" I'm about 9 months post surgery now and there is still a slight sense of numbness but nothing like the first few months ?

I'm 8 days post op, my ear isn't numb or anything but I know what you mean when you say it feels disconnected. I've always been able to move my ears at will, but now my implant side doesn't move when I try :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm joining this discussion since I just had my surgery last Thursday and my activation day is also Sept 29!

plus my ear is so numb and my head feels so disconnected that's a perfect way to describe it!

i just joined today 

Jane

Thank you I'm so glad to have found this forum!pretty much any questions I've had I've found answers for already !but I know when I'm activated that's when I'll have tons more questions..now I see why they wait to activate ...there's no way I'd have something attached to that side of my head for a while :)

I am! I'm just still kinda euphoric cause I'm feeling better each day and that the surgery is over! Getting a surgery  date with my surgeon is no small feat and I'm just relieved it didn't get postponed for any reason like  me getting a cold or something ?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Good luck to @Nikki she’s going for reimplantation surgery tomorrow. ❤️?????

• Like 2

thank you so much! *Update*

Revision surgery went very well with Dr. Pillsbury at UNC, Chapel Hill North Carolina.  He was able to achieve full insertion for all 12 electrodes. An X-Ray imaging was handed to my husband in the waiting room.  

There was restriction zone he encountered after inserting the first 5 electrodes but Pillsbury,  used his own developed tool and was able to break through it. Then he said he inserted more and at the end of it everything went well.  Now there is more area fore stimulation.  

Everyone at the ambulatory care center were exceptional in professional service.  I'm so glad it went as well as it did.

Thanks everyone here for the support!

On 3/24/2017 at 4:04 PM, AliU83 said:

Hi everyone,

Well, my surgery didn't go as planned. I had a severe allergic reaction to the  anesthesia and had to stay in the hospital until it cleared. They cut my ear open but had to immediately stitch it up when the reaction started. So I have stitches, but no implant. I will have to go see an allergist to figure out what caused it before I can attempt the implantation again. 

Ali 

I had horrible reaction to the anesthesia last time.  It was awful awful,  I know how you feel.  Went to my revision surgery and made sure they know what happened,  they said they'd do their best. I didn't expect miracles but I had ABSOLUTELY no nausea or vomiting or dizziness. I keep thinking it can't be real. I wish for you the same for next attempt! 

That's great to hear your surgery went so well, @Nikki!

If you need any support over the coming weeks, we'll be right here on HearPeers.

Kind regards,

Leigh

• Like 2

@Angie

A big THANK YOU for coming to Chapel Hill, supporting me the night before surgery.  Look few posts above for my notes. 

• Like 2

Yes indeed  

Pillsbury is the right man for the job. Happy I found him. He's taking pride of work, and has something to show for it,  with his high success rate.

It's a first for me,  to have all the electrodes in the cochlea,  so I surly hope this fact translates into better speech perception.  They truly care that their success is your success,  and this keep me hopeful!

• HearPeers Heroes

Great, truly great news! Nikki, when is your activation day to celebrate it with you? :)

• HearPeers Heroes

We definitely need to toast Nikki’s activation and the start of her new CI journey.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:11 AM, Nikki said:

thank you so much! *Update*

Revision surgery went very well with Dr. Pillsbury at UNC, Chapel Hill North Carolina.  He was able to achieve full insertion for all 12 electrodes. An X-Ray imaging was handed to my husband in the waiting room.  

There was restriction zone he encountered after inserting the first 5 electrodes but Pillsbury,  used his own developed tool and was able to break through it. Then he said he inserted more and at the end of it everything went well.  Now there is more area fore stimulation.  

Everyone at the ambulatory care center were exceptional in professional service.  I'm so glad it went as well as it did.

Thanks everyone here for the support!

Yay!!!!!!!  I am so glad everything went well with the surgery, Hila!   So happy and excited for you!

@Nikki   It was an absolute joy for my husband and me to spend time with you and your hubby the night before your surgery. We enjoyed the entire trip to North Carolina.   So thankful and excited that your surgery went well and looking forward to you being activated and being on the road to better hearing.   Yes!!!!

• Like 2

@Angie:rolleyes:it all wss better than I could have imagined.  I try not to set my expectations too high but I'm ready to hear better.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

You got this!  You know exactly how to train after activation.  Enjoy this restful time because after activation you are going to be very busy!  Smile.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Next up for reimplantation is @Jdashiell.  We will be rooting for you Joe.  Let us know when you have a surgery date.