Sonnet Rondo or one of each?

kblgy

hi, so I just found out I have a choice between 2 sonnets,2 rondos, or one of each.

now I really like the idea of the rondo cause I really never had to wear a hearing aide on my and the baha is of course comfortable. but what about you guys?

Thank you for any replys!! Steve

• HearPeers Heroes

I like the both.  The Rondo is awesome in waterwear for swimming.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello, welcome to hearpeers.

I am bilateral and have 2 sonnets. The Rondo was not yet available but I thought about it after the rondo came out. It's really a matter of personal preference. If I had the opportunity to get a Rondo today, I would probably pass on it. I have had BTE hearing aids for so many years that I really don't think about the processors being on.

i lead a VERY active lifestyle involved in many sports including karate plus a pretty physical job. For me, I feel more at ease knowing with the Warhol, even in very active situations, my processor will stay put. I also wear glasses and haven't had an issue with the BTE

Also I don't really care how much of the processor is seen by people. I am proud to wear it and if I have the opportunity to educate somebody about CIs I will. 

You can do this with the rondo though, no doubt. 

I also have never put a rondo on. I might put one on and totally love it. I'm just happy with the processors I have. 

Ultimately it is a personal choice that involves many factors. Lifestyle... Or you might think they look awesome. If that is the case, go with the Rondo and rock on. Either way you choose, it is a win win.

Also is there anything that stands out between the 2 ? like I think I heard somewhere that the sonnet uses 2 mics verses one on the rondo?  or do they both have 2 mics?

Here is another question, lets say I get one of each since it is available to me. do I have a time frame that's available to swap out one of them for the other if I decide I like one over the other?

• HearPeers Heroes

Check with your audiologist about a time frame for swapping.

The RONDO is a repackaged OPUS 2. Current RONDO users are hoping a repackaged SONNET version will become available soon.

The SONNET has some key capabilities which are not in the RONDO.

1) dual microphones

2) 2.4GHz  internal antenna 

3) wind reduction

4) data logging

5) water resistant ip54 rating

• HearPeers Heroes

I would touch base with your audiologist on swapping if you prefer one over the other. Not sure what the rules are on that. Maybe Leigh can chime in. What some people do is just use one processor a majority of the time and have the other as a back up

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kblgy,

The 2.4 GHz antenna allows the SONNET to directly receive high fidelity digital wireless transmissions from future MED-EL 2.4GHz wireless accessories ( remote microphone, phone clip, tv streamer).

Please note I stated future as these accessories are in development.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Sonnet has greater water resistance than the Rondo but neither are waterproof without their waterwear covers in place.

The 2.4 wireless connectivity is a future benefit of the Sonnet over the Rondo but there is no announced timeline as to how far in the future that will be.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

The Sonnet has greater water resistance than the Rondo but neither are waterproof without their waterwear covers in place.

The 2.4 wireless connectivity is a future benefit of the Sonnet over the Rondo but there is no announced timeline as to how far in the future that will be.

is it possible to use other devises? like I have the accessories from my Baha. mini mic, tv streamer, phone clip,etc...?

so also the rondo, although is off the ear seems like it is old technology?

is this true?

• HearPeers Heroes

The Rondo is based on the Opus2 platform.  Since then Med-El has released a newer platform which is presently only in the Sonnet processor.

The Cochlear streaming devices you mentioned will not work with the Rondo or Sonnet.  There are other devices that allow us to connect to remote mics and sound sources.  Check out

www.handsonhearing.com

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi kblgy,

As Mary Beth said the Cochlear devices you have will not work with the SONNET.

They communicate with the Resound proprietary 2.4GHz protocol. Cochlear purchased a license from Resound to use their technology. MED-EL does not have a licence to use the Resound protocol.

RONDO is based on the OPUS 2 BTE processor, the precursor to the SONNET. So I guess you can call it older technology.

• HearPeers Heroes

Over the ear headphones work great with the Sonnets.  I use BOSE Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones.  Awesome sound.  It's not usually easy to use headphones with the Rondos.

I have both Sonnet and Rondo processors, and I use both of them. One thing I like about the Rondo is that it's easy to wear a hat. Baseball cap, knit hat, whatever...keeps it in place and protects it from the elements. I also use MED-EL's "sportband" headband for active situations. I do think the Sonnet delivers slightly better sound processing (which makes sense if it's using newer technology) but the Rondo works for me too and is so valuable in it's own ways that I'm very glad I have both options. 

I concur with Mary Beth that over the ear headphones will work with the Sonnet but not really with the Rondo. Personally for me the bigger the better with the ear muff - so it fits everything in.

And as for the water resistance, I've been impressed with it. I ran a road race where it basically poured for the entire second half. I hadn't planned for that and was wearing my Rondo with the sportband. I was terrified of having my head short out or something mid-race, but it worked the whole time and at the end seemed no worse for wear. The sportband seemed to do a decent job itself of shielding moisture.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great Scott. Which over the ear headphones do you like?

I don't have a specific favorite, but I've used Bose noise cancelling and other brands have worked ok too. Being HOH, I'm not a sound quality expert so it's more about the fit - big open fit. I use my neckloop more than headphones actually.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Great info Scott

i need to look into some headphones

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi kglby. I use a Bluetooth neckloop for my Sonnet. The Quattro 4. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Baha but it maybe worth the try to find out. Best of luck on your journey. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, Kara of Canada said:

Hi kglby. I use a Bluetooth neckloop for my Sonnet. The Quattro 4. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Baha but it maybe worth the try to find out. Best of luck on your journey. 

I have a baha now but my surgery is on may 5th for an implant. I have good headphones but my experiences with them so far have been nothing but feedback, but I am figuring that's because these are HA,S (Baha,Cros,Transear) and the implant is different and there is no feedback I am being told.learning that now.

So just waiting as patiently as I can for the surgery and activation day, and hoping for the best.i know what I want out of this but I am keeping my expectations low so I do not get disappointed .

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that is right we don't get feedback with an implant like we do witHh an HA. Do hope for the best. I also hope for the best for you!! Its well worth the ride!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Fast and good summary of Scott. 

I'm user of Rondo, When I was activated I have only two options: Opus2 or Rondo, and I decided for Rondo.

Hadron, What do you want to say with "repackaged Sonet" for user of Rondo?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Valentin,

Hopefully the next version of RONDO will have all the features of the SONNET.