Introducing myself

Douglas Jones

Hello my name is Doug and i was just inform that i am a canidate for a implant i am a musician seen still have some low frequency i was told having a implant could take away that because it different with implants so that mean i will not here my guitar anymore is this true???

• HearPeers Heroes

Some CI users retain their low frequency hearing after surgery and some lose their low frequency hearing after surgery.  There are several factors involved including but not limited to: surgeon technique, ability to insert electrode array through the round window versus drilling through the cochlea, amount of pre-surgery low frequency hearing......

That being said, I have no residual hearing in either ear.  I enjoy listening to guitar with my CIs.  I hear bass sounds very well.  My CIs have enabled me to return to playing the piano.  It has been amazing.

Wishing you the best.

18 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Some CI users retain their low frequency hearing after surgery and some lose their low frequency hearing after surgery.  There are several factors involved including but not limited to: surgeon technique, ability to insert electrode array through the round window versus drilling through the cochlea, amount of pre-surgery low frequency hearing......

That being said, I have no residual hearing in either ear.  I enjoy listening to guitar with my CIs.  I hear bass sounds very well.  My CIs have enabled me to return to playing the piano.  It has been amazing.

Wishing you the best.

Wow thank you so much!! I know it gonna take some getting use to but i will suceed!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Douglas,

You have the right attitude and it will help you on this journey.  Just keep on listening and training and appreciating everything you hear after activation.  It gets better and better.  Our brains do an amazing job with the input from our amazing CIs.  They just need a chance to figure the signals out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Douglas,

You have the right attitude and it will help you on this journey.  Just keep on listening and training and appreciating everything you hear after activation.  It gets better and better.  Our brains do an amazing job with the input from our amazing CIs.  They just need a chance to figure the signals out.

Yes i will thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Douglas, welcome to the forum. There really isn't much more to add to what Mary Beth said. I agree with her 100%. Looking forward to getting to know you. 

Adam

Hey Adam God bless you and thanks right now i am waiting approval from my insurance plus which manufacture have the best product some say Coclear America or Med el

• HearPeers Heroes

Douglas,

the brand a person chooses is a very personal decision. What you want to look at is, what is important to you in an implant? One thing that might help is for you to make a list of things that are important to you, and things that you really could care less about. I was still a relatively young guy when I got my implants 6 years ago. One important factor for me was backwards compatibility and how much room for growth the implants had for future coding strategies. 

Somebody else might could care less about coding strategies and that is ok. Like I said. The reasons people choose the implant they have can vary greatly. Ian an open book. If you ask me specific reasons why I went with MEDEL, I will tell you. That said, I won't tell you what you need to do. 

Do I feel I made the right choice? You better believe it. I will wave the MEDEL flag as a proud recipient for sure.

if you choose to go with another company, I will be the first in line to congratulate you, as the main thing is you hearing. 

Feel free to ask any questions you would like.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Just sharing to give hope to you about music enjoyment with a CI...

was practicing the piano this morning  and playing a few Blues pieces.  I heard that I hit B instead of B flat.  These CIs just amaze me daily.

Remember though, it does not start off this way.  It takes time for our brains to become skilled in interpreting the signals.

Best of luck to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's pretty awesome. I do not have that talent

• HearPeers Heroes

It's a work in progress for me.  Improving all of the time.  I am having fun training musical pitch comparisons.

• HearPeers Heroes

Doug,

i am a musician too. I play bass guitar.

i chose MedEl because they have the long electrode array that goes to the apex of the cochinea.

Last year I received my first ci on my right side and just the year was implanted in the left. 

I hear music wonderfully. The bass is better than it ever was!

i know you will have a unique experience however I know there are other musicians with ci s as well and doing well.

i know this from being online and doing my research.

you should do well.