Second CI Activation trepidation

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

I will be getting my second (Left ear this time) activated on April 28. Two weeks to go. Five weeks post surgery.

I was hearing OK using my HA on that ear but was a candidate for CI for speech recognition reasons.

Now after surgery I am limited to one sided hearing as the HA no longer helps and I am told do not wear it while healing. So I am now deaf in the left ear. what an experience.
It has een a difficult time hearing and understanding with others since the surgery.

I am hoping when I get activated with the new processor, I will adjust as quickly or faster than I did on my right ear CI. Note it has been exactly one year between the two ears.

I am curious to hear from others who are bilaterally implanted - how did you do when the second CI was activated? Was it easier? completely different?

I am attending a business meeting 3 days after I am activated and am nervous. 

Joe

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joe,

I understand your anxiety.  My journey was a little different because I had stopped wearing my HA in the other ear a few months before going bilateral since it was of little help to me at that point.  In fact, it was making listening more difficult since I felt like I was carrying around my own noise supplier.  Smile.  So I was comfortable functioning with 1 CI while I awaited activation of the second CI.

My second CI started off slowly, even though it had been my better ear for decades.  However once it caught on, it was functioning on par with my first CI in a very short time.  It took several months before I felt balanced bilaterally but when that happened, it was wonderful!

Everyone's journey is different.  Hang in there.  You know how to do this.  In the end you will be just fine.  I hope your meeting goes okay.

Report back and let us know.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Hi Joe,

I understand your anxiety.  My journey was a little different because I had stopped wearing my HA in the other ear a few months before going bilateral since it was of little help to me at that point.  In fact, it was making listening more difficult since I felt like I was carrying around my own noise supplier.  Smile.  So I was comfortable functioning with 1 CI while I awaited activation of the second CI.

My second CI started off slowly, even though it had been my better ear for decades.  However once it caught on, it was functioning on par with my first CI in a very short time.  It took several months before I felt balanced bilaterally but when that happened, it was wonderful!

Everyone's journey is different.  Hang in there.  You know how to do this.  In the end you will be just fine.  I hope your meeting goes okay.

Report back and let us know.

Thanks Mary Beth 

i appreciate the pep talk. You are so right in that I do know how to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Joe, good luck tomorrow. Waiting to hear your story about your second activation. Wish you the best!

Joe,

I went bilateral in a manner very similar to your own, and my second implant was activated yesterday.

I just posted information near the end of the Roger Pen topic in the ALDs and Other Hearing Technologies section accessible on the home page of this forum.

Best of luck tomorrow.

David

Joe,

Sorry. The topic is CI Quality Of LIfe Study by MUSC in the Current Events section.

David

• HearPeers Heroes

Activation Day April 28, 2017

!!:D

Today I was activated on my left ear. I am hearing beeps and squawks and chipmunk sounds for voices, which is normal as the brain gets accustomed to hearing with a cochlear implant CI.

My AuD tell me she is amazed that I am able to understand on the day of activation. This tells me I am on the road to rapid improvement.

When I received my first CI one year ago on the right ear I had to deal with the chipmunks for a short while so I know this will be a short time as my brain adjusts.

It was a 5 week wait time after surgery and I am glad to finally be activated begin this new chapter in hearing.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Additionally, during the activation My AuD and a rep from MedEl first did a hearing test to evaluate the level of residual hearing in both ears without CIs. Then compared that test to the last test I had before any implant surgery. 

That gave them the idea that an EAS might work on the new implant on left ear. Alas, it did not work out. 

Actually I was glad as I was not interested in anything in my ear canal again. I had that for 20 years!

So they worked on activating my new CI processor. Turns out one 7 of the twelve electrodes are functioning. 

I see the surgeon in a week and may need another CAT scan to evaluate what happening.

Ill be back on that issue later, In the mean time I continue moving forward.

I saw a sign today that said "Don't look back, you're not going that way" - Great advise.

• HearPeers Heroes

My congrats Joe! Glad for you! And yes, we are moving only forward with all bridges burned behind us :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Joe,

You have a terrific attitude.  Keep us posted on the electrodes that are not responding.  I participated in the Vanderbilt image guided research and have voluntarily turned off targeted electrodes.  Contrary to popular belief, sometimes less is better.  Hoping it all works out well for you too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

After I was activated April 28 my AuD told me that 5 of the 12 electrodes were not "firing" and that I will need a CT scan to determine what is happening.

So I got the CT scan and met with my surgeon and AuD. The 5 electrodes have slipped out of the cochlea and I need to have another surgery to remove the implant and insert a new one that is longer.

Surgery is scheduled June 1. I am ready. I want this done and the healing process behind me, again. Ugh.

The surgeon makes the determination of which implant offered by MedEl and decides based on the CT scan and other factors, I’m sure. I know MedEl has a few lengths to choose from.

He told me that he will definitely insert a longer implant this time to match the one in my right ear.

He said he uses a lubricant to insert the electrode and that likely caused it slipped out.

The longer one will reach into the apex of the cochlea and that should help to prevent slippage.

Has anyone else experienced multiple surgeries like this?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry that you need another surgery Joe.  I have heard of people who have been reimplanted, but not quite as soon as you are needing to.  I will keep you in my thoughts.

My right side has a medium 24 electrode array and my left side has a flex 28 electrode array.  They work great together.

good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh Joe,

This is so unfortunate. Sorry that you have to go through this again. Hope, this time it will be much easier as all drilling work has been done before.

Hope the coming surgery will do trick for you and everything will be done perfectly with expected results.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jdashiell,

Sorry to hear about the electrode slippage. The surgeon may have met some resistance while inserting the electrode array. A lubricant is sometimes used to make the insertion smoother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well re-surgery is scheduled one week away on June 1st.

fingers crossed 

• HearPeers Heroes

Will be wishing you the absolute best!  Please keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's an odd feeling for me to be this deaf without any processors. So I will be be one sided deaf as I go through the healing process again. I know it's a short time in the grand scheme of things so I am ready to deal with it. Ready to get it behind me as I move forward. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Joe,

It does take time to get used to being completely without sound when our processors are off but you will get used to it.  Are you set up with vibrating smoke alarm at home?  

• HearPeers Heroes

No vibrating smoke alarm. My hearing wife will smack me awake if that situation arises!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well second surgery did not go as planned. Apparently there is a blockage in the cochlea. current explanation anyway. Only 5 of 12 electrodes in the cochlea.

The plan now is to get activated again and wait to see how I deal with it.

Third surgery on that ear remains an option with a stiffer implant. 

We shall see. 

I am trying to remain hopeful and march on. Activation is next Thursday 6/22.

• HearPeers Heroes

Joe,

I am sorry to hear this.  Fingers crossed for you that activation goes ok.  If it is any comfort to you at all, I have a stiffer electrode in my right ear due to its complications.  I have a classic medium 24 electrode array in that ear and it performs just as well as the flex 28 does in my left ear.  I sure wish this had gone easier for you.

Thanks for letting us know.  Please keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I am working on some of the audio rehab programs. AB Clix and iAngelSound.

what I hear is a mousy like voice that is difficult to understand, but I am activated for less than one week, so my expectations are low. I am staying with it. Trying to see what I can achieve with only 6 of 12 electrodes active.

I see my AuD in two days for adjustments