Fitbit Charge 2 HR

Ms_D

My husband just got me a fitbit charge 2 hr for my birthday.  We are wondering if it's safe for cochlear implant users to wear fitbits.  I've been wanting one for awhile now, and I didn't think about potential danger that may pose.  I did read of one incident where a woman's implant stopped working after she wore her fitbit charge 2 hr.  Is this a big risk for CI users?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a FitBit Alta and I checked with Med-El and Leigh said it was fine.  I am not familiar with the FitBit you mentioned.

@leighf

Thanks ya'll.  My husband contacted Med-El today just to be on the safe side and they assured us that it's okay.  They told us just don't have the fitbit close to the processors for an extended amount of time.  I guess that one woman who believe the fitbit may have caused her processor/implant to stop working is either incorrect about what caused it or it was some kind of weird incidence (I have no clue if she's a Med-El patient or not since I just read her post online).

Most FitBit models include Bluetooth capability allowing smart phone communication within the 2.4 GHz band. Although Med-El processors do not have this feature, Sonnet does have an integrated antenna for 'future technologies' that may be connected to something in the processor, so perhaps this causes problems.

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't heard of any issues with the CIs either. You getting confirmation from Medel should put your mind at ease. Have fun!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I use both, Fitbit Flex and Charge with no problem. Have never noticed that my two processors were affected or info from Fitbits was distorted.