CI Quality of Life Study by MUSC

Martin

• HearPeers Heroes

It's something I hope they all straighten out quickly.

I have tested the Roger System.  I have access to it at work as a Teacher of the Deaf.  I will be curious to read your review after you receive it and play around with it a bit.

Here are my thoughts....

-There is no way to use the Roger Pen and Roger X receiver with a Sonnet processor and get 100/0 mix (all Roger/no ambient sounds).  That is a huge drawback in my opinion.  Many times I want to listen to music, audiobooks, etc or train and I am in the same room as other family members who ar watching TV or talking.  You can get 100/0 with the Roger Pen and the Roger neckloop but that requires you to use telecoil so the sound quality is impacted.

-The Roger Pen has to be attached with a cable to your sound source for music, audiobooks, podcasts etc.  That is inconvenient.  I am not a fan of the Quattro4 BlueTooth neckloop but I do like the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop.  The sound quality is so much better and it is so tiny and light.

-The Roger system requires that we use the FM battery sleeves on our Sonnets.  That makes the Sonnets longer.  Also (and no one ever mentions this) if you wear the FM sleeve and do not have the receiver plugged into the bottom, every time anything rubs against those three euro holes it sounds like rubbing over your mics.  Since the Sonnet is longer with the FM sleeve, it does brush against shirts etc when moving around sometimes.

-Unlike older traditional FM Systems, the Roger is line of sight.  So if you are outside (like on a walking tour on vacation) and you have the guide clip the Roger Pen on, when the guide turns around to walk- you will lose the signal.  This is not as much of a problem indoors as the signal bounces off of the walls.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

Just a thought.......do you think the sound difference is from air going into the EAS earhook (since it doesn't have an earmold attached) and then seeping out near the Sonnet mics?  Maybe that is why things sounded bad.

What do you think?

@Mary Beth

I believe many CI recipients, myself included. have some residual hearing, but the quality is so poor, it is impossible to understand.

I also believe the sound entered the CI compartment via the EAS earhook, but do not know how the processor can distinguish between acoustical sound (gain) transferred via the earhook, and sound converted into electrical signals sent to the coil It's certainly is a clever  technology.

Unlike CI processors, hearing aids, regardless of their sophistication and added features, merely increase sound volume by increasing amplification (gain), and filter the sound to provide optimum quality using various technological schemes The sound passes through a hollow tube in an earhook, then through a hollow cored dome or earmold, and enters the ear canal.

The earhook by itself is hollow, so it will accept sound bidirectionally. This is also true If you add a dome or earmold, but do not place it into your ear, or if it is placed in the ear, and the gain set is set so high as to cause feedback.

@Mary Beth

Roger:

The world isn't perfect, but there are some scenarios where Roger should prove to be beneficial. I'll keep you posted when my second ear gets up to speed.

I agree with your FM battery cover size opinion, your other comments, and shall look into the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop. I would also add that Roger's volume cannot be adjusted with the Fine Tuner; it can only be controlled using Roger.

I do not use audiobooks, listen to music using cables (may never use the bilateral cable), and have been successful training my good ear for music, family circumstances similar to what you mentioned, and conferences and round-tables where I am either a speaker, or attendee, even when conducted in multiple languages, and others. It has been a great ride, and going bilateral should evolve into an incredible, exciting experience.  

• HearPeers Heroes

David,

When you use the Fine Tuner volume control with Roger, doesn't both the Roger input and the Sonnet mic input get lowered or raised together?

You can alter the volume on Roger via different Roger transmitters (not the Roger Pen).  You can set Easy Gain which will increase or decrease the volume via the Roger Inspiro transmitter or Roger Touchscreen transmitter.  I believe this is stored on the receiver (Roger X type 02) so it could be set by your audiologist if she/he has a Roger Inspiro or Roger Touchscreen transmitter available.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

Roger Fitting guide says:

"Sensitivity and Volume settings of Med-El audio processors affect the microphone and external input (Roger or Telecoil) in the same way."

@Mary Beth

I downloaded the Roger Fitting Guide and the user manual the other day.

The fitting guide is referring to the audio processor and, some time ago, I read adjusting the Fine Tuner does not affect Roger's adjustments. Of course, increasing the Fine Tuner volume will amplify Roger's transmission at the processor level.

I have a cursory knowledge about the Roger product series at this time, and plan to learn more about the options, features and settings, in the future.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmm....  when you play with it a bit I would be curious to know how adjusting the Fine Tuner volume settings changes the listening experience.  Since Med-El says we can not change the 50/50 mix (except by Easy Gain adjustments to the Roger X which is not available through the Roger Pen), I am thinking that the volume setting on the Fine Tuner effects both the Roger and mic input the same.

I am not sure how a sensitivity setting change would relate to the Roger signal as it is already only picking up the targeted sound based on its directional or omnidirectional orientation.

Lots to play with and lots to learn about.  

Since Roger uses its own 2.4, it doesn't work with other devices.  However the Artone 3 MAX and Quattro4 do work with other devices and people have used various BlueTooth streamers with those receiver neckloops.  When devices use an open platform, the combinations are endless.

I have a few applications to test using Roger, and am anxious to see if it brings anything to the table. This will have to wait until after hearing with my newly implanted ear gets up to speed.

l'll keep you posted.