My EAS Adventure

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Mary Beth said:

Your brain is going to be exhausted again for a bit.  Smile.

I guess it makes sense that male voices would be most impacted by EAS since it is the bass tones that are now acoustic.  It's quite romantic that you love your husband's new voice even more.  Smile.

Has music always been a problem for you with your CIs or is it just sounding worse now due to your recent change to EAS?

Maybe we should jointly create a helpful music aural rehab list.  We could start a new topic.  We have so much in our aural rehab topic for speech but not much in one place for music.  If people are interested in working together on that, I would join in.

Being balanced is important and when I went through the image guided research in Vanderbilt, it also threw my balance between R and L sides off.  My awesome audiologist has been able to get my image guided programs to be balanced once again and that is such a relief!  Being off balance R and L for 3.5 months seemed very long.  I've been balanced again now since the end of March and it feels so much better.  Hang in there.  I am sure your audiologist will get you balanced once again in time.

Wishing you the best as always.

@Mary Beth,

things are even easier, nothing close to be exhausted. Just curious. That lag is not so bad like robotic voices or double layering hearing. I have it for a short moment (several minutes) after I turn the processor on.

Ha, you are right, I am definitely in romantic mode now - others men voices sounds more attractive to me, too :) 

Music came to me quite soon after both activations. Something happened during my one month mapping - I lose the ability to understand music and hear people from the distance (or  when somebody talk behind me). I don't know why. My audiologist also has no ideas. At that time my both electrodes 12 were turned off. But people can listen to music with no problem without that electrodes being active. During my 3 mo mapping I got one e12 turned back. I noticed very slight improvement with music and distant speech. This time both E12 were calibrated. Now I can hear people from some distance, but music is still a mess. I think I should not wait to get it just back. Looks I need to start working on it the way I did it with my first implant when it took some time, efforts, and different exercises  to earn this ability.

Of course, we should create a list with tips and activities for music aural rehab. That's a brilliant idea. Like you, I am ready to join the group to work on that music aural rehab topic. Will start making notes about my way of doing that.

I agree with you that it is quite uncomfortable when you are out of the balance between ears even if your speech understanding is fine without it. Now I play with the Fine Tuner each time I face different environments and voices (especially when I am in a group of speaking people). I hope that at the beginning of June I get my ears balanced. Will see....

Interesting? when I remove the coil, I cannot see any noticeable improvements in my residual hearing (like I didn't see any help from my HA before surgery)? but together with electric stimulation the quality of sound is better.

Still Ok with the ear mold. The battery life is an hour shorter with EAS compare to just CI.

My best wished to you and all our group!

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to report that in a week after EAS activation I got the stereo effect back which means for me that my ears got balanced somehow. Also I noticed a big improvement in music understanding (especially, with instrumental one). So far only one drawback - the battery life (standard rechargeable) is 1 hour shorter. But it is hard for me to tell if this related to EAS component as I also got the different coding strategy applied to this new processor (FS4 instead of FS4-p I used before).

Mary Beth wrote: "Your brain is going to be exhausted again for a bit.  Smile." - Mary Beth you knew it before me! At the time of your post I felt pretty energetic. But the next of couple days surprised me. It was if I am back to my days with HA - I was very exhausted at the end of the day with no apparent reasons. I think it was what you suggested - my brain worked harder that usually. After that two days of tiredness I am back on my feet with stereo sounding and better music appreciation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds like you are doing great Cara!  EAS is known to reduce battery life.  I believe it may even say that in either the EAS manual or the rechargeable battery manual.  I read it somewhere.  Smile.

glad you are balanced again and have improved music!  Terrific!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you, Mary Beth. I do doing great with EAS. Will read the both manual again to see if I skipped mention about battery life. Of course, logically, it should be that way - if my processor does more job it has to eat more :) 

Remembered some joke:

Question: How to make cows to (1) eat less, (2) give more milk?

Answer: it is easy, you need to (1) feed cows less, (2) milk them more.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can't find where I read it.  Maybe Sherri has been talking about it in our group?

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 10:20 PM, Cara Mia said:

I am going to switch to EAS on May 3rd. The first step was to made a custom earmold. That appointment took only 15 minutes. I was told that my processor I use now will be switched to EAS modification for free. And if I don't like EAS after trying, I will be able to exchange it back to a just CI processor at no cost. During my next appointment MED-EL CAM will assist my audiologist to activate and adjust my new EAS processor. 

Curious how the earmold will feel in my ear and, of course, how EAS will change the quality of my hearing (especially speech understanding and music perception).

The bad news, by that time there was no appointment scheduled for ASM 2 training with Med EL for my Ci center.

I have the EAS system and love it

On 4/28/2017 at 1:35 PM, David said:

@Cara Mia

Good luck, and also a question.

Are you using a Sonnet processor?

If so, I was under the impression that in addition to possible mapping changes and adding an earmold, the only other requirement is to use a green tip earhook with a hollow tube, instead of a closed end earhook. Is this incorrect?

To my knowledge yes I have just the ci on my left ear and eas on my right the only difference is the hook 

My battery life is equal for eas and ci the batteries die within minutes of one another so that is not true

• 6 months later...