wound care

zeezai

• HearPeers Heroes

The sutures they used with me are the absorbable ones. they didn't have to take them out. luckily I didn't have any issues. one took forever to go away though. pretty itchy

• 1 year later...

My BB surgery on August 7, 2014 took 2.5hrs (apparently I have really thick skin flaps and a very thick temporalis muscle), and required 11 staples.

After removing the full headwrap dressing from the hospital the day after surgery, I followed a regimen of cleaning the wound each morning with a little hydrogen-peroxide and distilled water, then letting it "breathe" all day (unless I had to go out, in which case I covered it with a clean gauze pad).

At night, prior to going to bed, I would clean it again, pat dry with clean gauze, slather on a generous amount of PolySporin (triple antibiotic ointment), place a fresh gauze pad over the wound, and "secure" it in place with a stretchy headband.

Sleeping with the gauze/headband was a little tricky, as I suffer from sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine, so getting my mask on without disturbing the dressing was a challenge, but I managed.

After the staples came out, 13 days post surgery, I did the PolySporin/gauze at night for a couple more nights until I was confident the incision was fully healed and closed cleanly.

Since then, I've been bathing as per usual, just exercising a little extra care around the wound.  Not scrubbing it too hard, and not rubbing it with the towel (pat dry!).   Minimal scabbing, no inflammation or irritation.  Very minor tenderness where they removed muscle and thinned the skin flap, but that should be gone by Sept25 when I go for activation.

Didn't notice any leakage/seepage or reaction to soap/shampoo. I keep my hair very short most of the time, and generally only use Ivory soap for both body and hair.  Very mild and non-irritating.

• 1 year later...

hi. i'm new to the forum. i had bb implanted 3 weeks ago. on the 2nd week, the dr. took out the strips and stitches and found a small infected area. been taking antibiotics and cleaning the wound.

i just wanted to know if anyone has had problems like mine? and how did you do wound care?  i use hydrogen peroxide, betadine then apply antibiotic ointment.

Hi! I did have the same experience on having problems with wound. I asked for the right medicine on our nearest pharmacy, and they recommended Fucidin®.  Fusidic acid / Fusidate sodium (Fucidin®) provides full force against wound infection that targets Staphy. Check it out: http://www.notostaphy.com.ph

• HearPeers Heroes

Each infection should be seen by the doctor especially surgical wound.

Treatment without knowledge about the patogenesis of wound is not smart way of handling it.

Fucidin is bacteriostatic antiobiotic so it doesn't really destroy the cause of infection rather helps the local immune response. Still there is a reasonable danger that infection goes deeply and contaminate the implant, possibly whole temporal bone with consequential devastating result.

So - not fun-game. ;)

Yung tito ko, hustler driver yun ng motor. Pareho sila ng experience. Kaya nung sinubukan namin gamitin ang Fucidin® antibiotic ointment, gumaling naman siya in less than two weeks. :) Tignan niyo yung website nila:  http://www.notostaphy.com.ph

• HearPeers Heroes

Ken,

This is an english spoken forum so please translate your words.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thomas - you might be right ;), I was suspicious too; that's why I put a question specifically for Ken.