Roger Pen Helpful Tips and videos

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

After you get it, let me know what you think of it.  I hope it solves your listening challenges.

You are welcome.

Hey anybody .... I have the Roger Pen and receiver! Yea !!  Read the directions (unusual for me) and no success.  Flashing blue light always. Called the support number and received a call back a few hours later but just as I answered. my Sonnet battery started beeping so I asked her to hang on while I put in new batteries.  No luck, it was only 10 minutes to her quitting time so she would call me in the morning. She did return my call the following morning and spent quite a while attempting to solve my connection failures including bumping the issue up the line but still with no luck. She said that I would have to go back to my audi and have them call a special support line only available to the retailers.  I had already talked to my audi who confessed too having no knowledge of the product and telling to to make the call that I did to Phonak. This is more than a little frustrating from both the perspective of Phonak and my audi's office not being able to competently support and service the products I pay $$$ for trying to improve my hearing life. Can anyone confirm that the Remote Tuner should be either MT or T to hear from the Roger Pen? I tried all 3 options but none worked.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep your processor on M for Roger use always.

Flashing blue means BlueTooth on the pen.  The ONLY thing the pen can do via BlueTooth is actual phone calls.  If not needed for that, turn the Bluetooth off on the Pen to extend its battery life.  To listen to music, etc from your phone you must connect the Pen and phone with the mini cable.

Update: it's a matter of inches!  Thanks to the effort of Christine Pett at MEDEL and Barb Luikart (former MEDEL staffer but now works with my Audiologist in Indianapolis). I met Barb at the downtown office on Monday and within minutes, the problem of connecting was solved! While the Phonak manual says to place the pen within 4" or less of the receiver, Barb placed it right next to the receiver and voila!! I heard the pleasant little beeps that indicate success. I'm now connecting on a regular basis and testing for improvements over the Quattro. Wish me luck ?

Edited by Heywayne
Premature keystone

Good Luck!  Looking forward to hearing about all of your experiences with the Roger Pen!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wayne,

Looking forward to reading your review.  Have fun experimenting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Great Phonak link which explains why the Roger Pen's BlueTooth function ONLY works for phone calls and not streaming music from the exact same phone (which requires use of the mini cable between the phone and the Roger Pen).

https://www.phonakpro.com/au/en/support/product-support/wireless-accessories/roger-pen/faqs-roger-pen.html

• HearPeers Heroes

Phonak states that the Roger system should NOT be used on planes.  See above link.

• HearPeers Heroes

I use the Roger Pen with the Roger X connected to my Sonnet.

Here is a video from Medel on attaching the Roger X

http://s3.medel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/mediaGallery/videos/24669CE_r5_0-Chapter 12 ALDs-EN-EN-EN_1080p.mp4

I use the Roger Pen with my iPhone via Bluetooth - it works so well for me:)

I also use it in a restaurant with my family - helps sometimes - restaurants are always a challenge.:(

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Cintipgh

Here you go Dave.  Lots of info here on the Roger System.  Roger 21 receivers are already set specifically for Sonnets.  They are Roger type 02 receivers built into the Sonnet battery cover.  Additional easy gain adjustments can be made if needed via Roger Touchscreen Mic or Roger Inspiro but many people do not need the Easy Gain adjusted since these Roger 02 receivers are already set for Sonnets.  Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So!  I decided to give myself some time to get used to new hearing before tackling the harder phone and some accessories.  But as tricky as the more 'digital' sounding stuff from computer/phone is when things are already high-pitched, I figured audiobooks I could read and practice along with would help with that.  And to make it more portable, I wanted to listen to them on my phone, using my Roger to stream it, right?

Well, charged it, browsed tiny little quick-start picture guide, turned my phone bluetooth on to test, turned the Pen on.  Pressed and held the middle 'Connecting' button... blue light flashed for a bit, then red twice, then slowly blinked green a couple times before turning off.  Tried a couple times, then thought, ok, I'm clumsy and missing something here.  Curiously tried pressing and holding the green phone button to connect with phone, wondering if /that/ would link... nope.  Phone's bluetooth setting doesn't even see it.

Ok, so sheesh... Think... what would keep it from connecting.  Have the Pen up, have my implant... oh wait!!  Stupid brain fart moment...  Duhh... obviously the implant needs to be 'receiving' it, too.  It's not built in... only then do I remember seeing the Roger 21 thing weeks ago when I was going through all my new stuff, but didn't need it yet.  So I fished it out and plugged it on... tried holding down on the Connect button again... still nope.  Gah... what am I missing?

Oh, wait, what about the settings on my remote... do I need to change something there?  So tried tinkering with that too.  Then went reading in the forum...
Went to browse through the forum category of ALD's, found a lot of Roger stuff there (thanks @Mary Beth! :D )    'Roger Pen Helpful Tips' thread super helpful!  Funny how you can google something but not find what you want (since all the Roger FAQ/Troubleshooting covers other typical problems), but thanks to a comment one of you made, I figured it out.  Had to hold it much closer, then press the connect button... stupid little mistake!  ;D

Just thought I'd leave that there in retrospect for other new users.  Now, my only problem (or just don't know how to do), is making it discreet!  That's what the cords are for, right?  You can hook up the pen right to your phone that I'll have my music or book playing on, and since it's in the headphone port, it should just switch to silently feeding it through to the pen, which then streams it to me... right?  Only when I plug them together, I still hear it blaring through the phone.  So what am I missing this time?  ?     (although I gotta say, Mary Beth, you pretty much sold me on the Artone, for ease, at some point!)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Emily C.

For audiobooks the Artone 3 MAX is so much better than the Roger Pen because...

-the Artone streams all audio from your phone via BT so no need for cables, and your phone can stay in your pocket

-the Artone allows us to select T setting on the Fine Tuner and block out ALL other sounds 

The Roger Pen can not do either of the above.

Plus the Artone can be worn under a shirt. So discreet.

Yep... I hear ya!  But for right now, trying to get darn pen to work.  Is it supposed to act like a typical headphone cord and 'silently' feed the sound to the Pen instead of the phone still blaring it from it's own speakers, or is something not working right here?  Doesn't make sense you would hook it up and not want it to do that.

• HearPeers Heroes

It should display a headphone icon on your phone when you use the cable between your phone and RogerPen.  Make sure you selected audio out to headphones on your phone.

Thanks.  Maybe was another dumb brain-fart moment.

Ok, so... uh... I'm looking at my phone right now, and nothing in settings about audio input (just the different sound alert preferences), and nothing in my pull-down menu about headphones, because, as I said, generally such devices just automatically switch over when you plug in a headphone cord.  Ok... fine... let's try my old set of headphones to make sure it works.  And they do.  Plug in much more securely, too (the cord is much thinner at the end than the Roger cord).  So then I think, maybe it's the cord connection - I take off my protective phone case, plug in the Pen, it clicks much more securely this time, and works!   ?

Okay, so that's a bit irritating.  In today's age, so many people tend to have those hard phone cases, sometimes slightly thick, but aux cables for stuff still often has a thick plastic base that doesn't let it click in all the way!  Why don't they make it a bit thinner?  So I guess my options now are to ask Phonak/my audi about the cord itself, use my tablet for the audiobook (cumbersome), or get an Artone (which is sounding better and better... pttph.).  Ha.  ?    Thanks for the lead, though.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

I vote for getting the Artone.  ? 

But you can buy an extender so that you can plug that in without needing to remove your phone case.  BestBuy has them.

• HearPeers Heroes
17 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Emily C.

I vote for getting the Artone.  ? 

But you can buy an extender so that you can plug that in without needing to remove your phone case.  BestBuy has them.

Second that, love my Artone neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop is so easy to use.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 7:05 AM, Mary Beth said:

Adam's review of the Roger Pen and Roger 21

https://blog.medel.com/roger-21-with-roger-pen-from-phonak/

Adam's reviews explained things about the Roger Pen so well that I may be able to start using it. Thanks for putting all this info out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to get R. Pen to work.  How long is it supposed to hold a charge?  I charged it over 2 hours one evening, and green light displayed.  I turned it off.  The following morning, I tried to make a phone call, but the green light was gone!

This is very frustrating, for example:  my husband had emergency surgery and I could not speak with hospital personnel on phone.  My CI Audiologist has not been able to help - she is swamped with other appointments.  I have followed the steps in user manuals that came with R Pen & My Link, including pairing with Bluetooth on phone, turning on the MedEl Telecoil, and when that didn't help, tried the Mike/Telecoil button - to no avail.  I am so disappointed that having implant and receiving these accessories have not given me back some independence.  Also, tried the R Pen/My Link in group setting (following conference instructions) - that did not work either.

So, I contacted Phonak, but their email came through as "undeliverable".   Admittedly, I am not the most technologically gifted person, however I am gifted at research and following instructions.  Can't imagine why this R Pen does not work for me.  Any advice?